Register now to get rid of these ads!

How not too install a 4-link. (I need your help.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steamboat, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Steamboat

Steamboat

Hello HAMBers. I need a small favor from you. Take this invitation personally because if you all assume somebody else is gonna help me out, no-one is going to do it. I had a 4-link suspension installed on my 58 Mercury Monterey by a builder that is going to remain anonymous. After having problem after problem with it, we decided to go undernieth and check out the work myself. Every time I took the car out, something would break. Finally, I had enough and decided to call up my man Sethro who knows air-ride alot better then I do.

[​IMG]
    Here's how the car was parked when she blew a bag the night before.

[​IMG]
    Sethro swung by after borrowing a trialer and swapping out a valid plate for it. He had to Duke Boy it in and out because it was a lowboy.
    As we crawled underneith to tie her down, we got the first glimpse into what was in store for us.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    See you back at the farm, Alice. I love you.

[​IMG]
    When I got there, We crawled undernieth with a flashlight and camera to see what we can see. Here we see why there was a rattling sound everytime the comopressor kicked on.

[​IMG]
    Upside-down shocks partially painted. It you leave them like this water will collect inside and ruin them. These can still be saved.

[​IMG]
    Rubbing bags. This one is ruined.

[​IMG]
    Brake line running into fitting at a crazy angle.

[​IMG]
    Air line run extremely close to exhaust manifold on both sides.

[​IMG]
    Every time a hit a bump, one of my switch extensions pop off, this is why.

[​IMG]
    Front shocks agian. Welds.

[​IMG]
    No washer to hold the shocks on.

[​IMG]
    No need for words.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This car lays frame, so here we see how close the air lines are to the pavement.

2. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    Air lines run across sheetmetal.

[​IMG]
    Bored holes in my firewall and ran the lines across the shavings.

[​IMG]
    Sethro laughing at the work. Look at the bag. The reason for this is he only used one bolt to anchor it to the frame, so it pivoted on that one bolt and tore the bag in half.

[​IMG]
    Welds.

[​IMG]
    Unpainted shock mounts, the shock was actaully jammed into the sheetmetal above it, you can see the dent.

[​IMG]
    This is the shock that popped off the mount and banged agianst the lower four link bar.

[​IMG]
    Welds.

[​IMG]
    Even better welds.

Now, if there are any children in the room, I suggest you tell them to go outside and play. What I am about to show you is UGLY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yup, this is the fabrication that took place on my rear crossmember.
    :(

[​IMG]
    Here we see the flux that was used for the welding. I'm no welder, but Sethro informs me that a wire that size is reserved for sheetmetal work.

[​IMG]
    No clip for the brake line.

[​IMG]
    I have no idea what is going on here. Why??
    :(

3. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    More welds.

[​IMG]
    Upper four link bolt was working itself out.

[​IMG]
    Air lines zip-tied to brake lines.

[​IMG]
    Look how crooked the four link is.

[​IMG]
    Daylight as looking at the air lines running through my trunk floor from below.

[​IMG]
    Ruined brand new whitewall from axle being mounted crooked.

[​IMG] There you have it.

The situation at present is we are both going to small claims court next week. The builder responsible said he is going to cooperate and work towards a resolution.
    However, I need from you guys some detailed photos of similair installs done correctly, so that I can present them to the judge and hopefully recoup my costs so I can get her back on the road. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated beyond words.
    If you have an install on a car similair to this (Any late 50's-early 60's FoMoCo) or any detailed weld pics, reply here, PM me, or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks alot guys, I need your help on this

4. cretin

cretin

Yikes, that is scary.

5. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

Wow, thats just incredible.

I can't really help with pictures though. I haven't done a similar car with a straight axle, just IRS. Other than that, mostly trucks with air ride.

But damn, that's some terrible looking work. It just got progressively worse through the pictures. Regardless of that, the car looks very nice.

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Man send that guy back to the institution he escaped from.
    Remember the golden rules - 3 kinds of jobs quick, cheap & good.
    A good job quick wont be cheap.
    A good job cheap wont be quick
    A cheap job quick wont be good

This is why some States want to bring back the death penalty.

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

I have seen some hack-jobs, this is one of the worst.

10. Armstrong

Armstrong

Looks like attempted murder to me.

11. 61TBird

61TBird

How many other vehicles has this guy done??
    I hope he doesn't hack any more cars up.

Good Luck in Small Claims Court(Tell the Judge how "traumatized" you were when it broke while you were driving!)

Do a search for Gambino Customs on here. He has some DETAILED pics of an install on a 53(?) Chevy

found a link... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=202220

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  12. The Shocker

The Shocker

Its a wonder that crap didnt hurt someone .I looked at a 56 Chevy truck on time that looked like it was built /fabricated by the same master craftsman ,with about the same welding skills .Pretty scary to say the least...

13. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

This is why you check out references before you spend your hard earned dollars.

Attempted murder?

14. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

A job well done will always look good. If the job does not look good , its not a good
    job. Do Not Pay Untill the job looks good. Good Luck

15. 3Mike6

3Mike6

My only question is why didn't you look at the work when you picked up the car?

Not that I'm trying to place any blame on you, but any car I've taken into any shop, I've always had them show me what they did and worked on.

16. raaf

raaf

if i were you, i'd be looking on the bright side. ...you're still alive. those welds are unbelievable. worse than bird shit, booger welds...this looks like blind wire shooting.

...but at least you know it for what it really is now.

17. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

You might not want to look at Alex's work after seeing how your car was done. If you aren't already suicidal that will do it. But.....for every bit wrong the guy did on your job Gambino's work will show you ten-fold how it should be done.
    I figured you were going to kill the guy but I am glad you're going to court.

18. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I have never bagged one but I know I could do a better job than that! You should search for 4 link or versions of it, Gambino, El polacko, I think are two guys that I have seen 4 link posts from. There are many guys here that do a great job and have photo proof of it.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Wow, just wow, and I thought I was getting to fix the fucked up stuff....

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I don't think the term "builder" should be applied to this man's work. He should have his tools permanently confiscated. That is IF he even used any tools.

There has been lots of great posts on here regarding airbag/4 link installs with lots of detailed pics and info. I would search them and print them out and bring the pile to court as examples of how it is done by people who actually give a damn wether they kill someone or not.

21. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

A real "butcher"

22. More reasons to do it yourself. Those welds are truly deluxe!:rolleyes:

Another deluxe feature in about the third or fourth picture is the exhaust tailpipe that exits inward toward the center of the car, right under the back seat. When it's "laying frame", it's also laying in a swirly cloud of exhaust. Maybe that's to make it float like a hovercraft?:rolleyes:

23. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'm no longer self conscious about my welding. HOLY SHITE! As for pics of good welds, there was a thread earlier today that shows some of the best welding I've ever seen. Tons of pics that could illustrate your point in court. I say sue him, then slap his mother, then sue her, too.

24. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

christ that makes me want to barf.....i dig your car tho man...

25. Wicked50

Wicked50

Nice HACK Job can i have his number so i don't use him

26. I'm sorry this happened to you. I do however, feel so much better about the quality of work I do. (slow as I may be)

27. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Man, if you want something done right, either do it yourself or find a experienced builder...your lucky your not toes up on the hi-way.....~E

28. W:eek:W! did a blind man do the welding???

29. George G

George G

Just out the fucker.

30. I'll help you if I can. Here's some pics of my build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]