Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, when I worked at Armstrong's('78,'79,'80), we had two Leffler pavement sprint cars, one Leffler dirt sprint car, one modified Mitchell dirt sprint car, one Shores dirt sprint car, one Leffler champ dirt car, one King champ dirt car, one King midget, one Vogler midget, one Edmonds midget and, of course, two March/Cosworth Indy cars, three Lola/Cosworth Indy cars and a Wildcat/DGS OFFY Indy car.
    The most interesting and successful cars were the pavement sprint cars which had two inch left offset engines and weighed around 1475 lb. The only real competition, we had, was from the Jet Engineering Titanium roadster, which had to weigh 1600 lb. Towards the end of the '79 season, Paul Leffler modified Greg Leffler's #43 car to a full offset roadster and weighted up to 1600 lb. I had some special offset wheels made for Bigelow's #1 car and offset the engine to the right of center. I actually had more left side weight on Bigelow's 1475 lb. car than Greg had on his 1600 lb. full offset car. Not sure how I could have gotten down to the 1400 lb. minimum ..??

Bettenhausen's car looked nice but never ran very well. It did have one good thing though. It had a clutch and "on board" starter, which should be mandatory on all sprints and midgets.

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Jim, I believe that is the same car. It is the Kinser/Gaines car from the year before.

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

That thing is Baaaad. Id take one of those :D
    Dave

4. December 1981? or Feb. 1983?

The first one i mentioned is what "introduced me to OW. The second one is what let me know they were now selling them in my neck of the boonies. Still have that worn out first cover.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Without digging through them all, I can't say for sure, but as I recall the cover has A.J. with a white or light colored background.

6. He's in his Indy car for the Dec. '81 cover. Feb.'83 he is in his Champ Dirt car I guess at The Indy Mile. I think that was his swan song for dirt.

Those 2 covers were turning points for me as I was in the middle of drag racing country. I grew up 1 mile from a dragstrip, but 87 miles from Lawtons red clay. I was an oval fan the day i was born. It was just hard to get close to it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  7. 8889coupe

8889coupe

hey guys im in need of some help, im working on my dads old champ car from the early 70's i have everything for it except for the flywheel and basket it goes in i do have a new clutch that i had from Foyt, so if anyone out there can help me out it would be greatly appreciated......

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've been fortunate to always live near a oval track(s) Started going with my dad when I was about 10-11 back in So. Dak. After moving to Colo. when I got out of the Army in 70 there was about 6 ovals with in 100 mi. and 2 of those within about 10 mi. The NIMBYs sure have reduced that now days though. :mad:

9. They have a dirt track here now, but i got hooked on Open wheels of the past. Guess if i ever lose that passion, then they might take it up?LOL

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Your asking the right guys, I'll check around as well. Your dads cars are looking good and from what I hear you have the right guys helping you.

Keep it up.;)

I heard about That A.J. clutch.. Didn't it have a hand written note from A.J. to your dad saying "here ya go" basicly?

JD

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

My dad and I went to the little local 1/4 mi. dirt track every Sun. when I was young. In the early 60s, while on a family vacation, we stopped in OKC to visit a old army buddy of my dads. While we were there he took us to the fairgrounds (I think) to the races. Now, back home we may have had a thousand or so spectators, but, by God, I'll bet there where ten thousand spectators there, and some wild and crazy modified racing too, I'm here to tell you. :D

12. 8889coupe

8889coupe

yes the clutch came from aj foyt its brand new l just dont know why he didnt have the rest of the parts to go with it...

13. Graham08

Graham08

I stand corrected. Of course I was born in '78...all of the photos I remember seeing of the Armstrong cars are of the Leffler sprinters.

Bill Zipay is one of our local guys that has the last Leffler pavement car built, which he ran against the supermodifieds for years with various Ford engines, and most recently ran as a 305. Beautiful car, definitely from an earlier era.

At one time he had a Gurney-Weslake headed 302 in it which used to scream. Fortunately he mothballed that combo because the heads and injection are priceless.

14. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

In addition to the two Armstrong Pavement sprint cars, Paul Leffler built one more of those cars for Bob Seelman in Michigan. The two Armstrong cars are still around. Bruce Field has or had the Bigelow 1978 USAC championship winning car up in Chicago and Greg Leffler has the car that he drove the 1979 USAC championship.
    Around 1990, Paul started building three more of the Armstrong style pavement cars. I'm not sure if they all got finished but I know that "Big Lou" Cicconi had, at least, one of them. I built new noses for these cars that were two inches narrower than the "Armstrong" noses. I'd like to see pix of Mr. Zipay's car.

15. This shot said a little over 7,000 for a regular show

[​IMG]

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yep, that's how I remember it, quite a eye opener for a preteen, wannabe racer from bumfuck So. Dak. :) Thanks.

17. Graham08

Graham08

Mac,

It may take a little asking around for some pics of the Zipay car, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Somehow the vintage of that car sounds right...like 1989 or 1990. I think their older car was a dirt car they were running on asphalt.

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm flying out to California to hook up with Shine and go to the Hot Rod reunion today, I'll take pics if I see any "Real" race cars that are made for going SLIDEWAYS!

JD

19. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

When I first got started wrenching pavement sprint cars we raced against seelman... He used to be pretty fast but it seemed to depend on the day. I do remember that up to kzoo speedway and toledo he was pretty good at burning up the right rear ..
    Dave

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I've got a copy of Open Wheel No. 1 around here if anybody's in the market for it.

21. How much?

22. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Looks like Brian23 is dribbling at the mouth lol
    "Doc" Parsons

23. Racer12

Racer12

found this on another thread on the HAMB. Enjoy!

Bob Shutt

[​IMG]

24. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I was messing around with my torque ball and housing and found out I have some front to back play, about 3/16". I have not messed with these before. Is this normal play, or should the ball be fairly tight in the housing?

Thanks,
    NEIL

25. Racer12

Racer12

here's afew more from the same one!

[​IMG]

26. [quote="Doc" Parsons;3192995]Looks like Brian23 is dribbling at the mouth lol
    "Doc" Parsons[/quote]

Always good to have a bib close to the computer Doc.

27. the shadow

the shadow

Frenchtownflyer: I used a 31 model A banger (made the intake and exhaust) and 3 speed trans, I wanted to use a flathead 8 but none were around when I was building it (my budget-cheap). after I was done this built a bunch of people I know stepped up with some running/rebuildable flathead 8's??? I left enough room for a V8 so I may swap it in later.
    thanks,
    Paul

28. Both of mine are too. Thinking that they should be a little loose. When I drove for a short while, I never messed with the torque tube. Our family race cars were all open driveshaft. I have a new tube and collar adaptor for a chevy 3-speed that is loose too.

29. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse
    from Arnold MO

F-ing right!!!!! DIRT CARS AND HOT RODS. My two favorite things in the world. Thanks guys for posting the pics!!!:D

30. Racer12

Racer12

Torque tubes should have some play/slop in them but 3/16" is excessive. When we square the rear ends up they should be within 1/64"th. So if the rear end/driveline has that much play it will cause the suspension to "bind up" at some point during full range of motion. I would say that half that much play would be correct. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Bob Shutt