Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods October Banger Meet on the Model T Centennial!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodfil, Oct 1, 2008.

1. There B's...

2. Anybody had any experiace with an original Miller OHV set up for Model A-B. Ilooked at one for sale last weekend pretty much complete set up,(was checked for cracks,none found) The guy has the AL intake and Miller updraft carb. Is this something that would run and work good or would the new repo Miller be "more for my money" ?

3. I saw coverage in F.A.S.T .newsletter looks like a fast banger.

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

From what I've been told, the original heads are ok, but they are prone to cracking if allowed to get too hot. If you are looking for period corectness there is no question that the cast iron Miller heads are the bee's knees.

If you are putting it together as a driver / tourer then the new heads that Steve Serr makes can't be beat. A lot of the guy's around here run them. Allmost two to one over the Reily head.

5. I was kind of thinking along the same vein, I'm not all that big on the era correctness. If I am going to spend $4000. I want the most bang for my $ Thanks Daddyo BTW Do you have the torque tube-T-5 model A adapter ready?

6. I use one of the cast Al Winfields currently on the market but after Jason's ( Coaltown kid ) problems I would recommend you contact a dealer such as Taylor Engine and ask that the head be pressure tested first.

7. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Speaking of Miller parts, does anybody have any info on when Harry Miller made these manifolds or if there are any others around. I've only seen 2 or 3 others around in the last few years.

Attached Files:

8. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Scott, are you sure it's Harry Miller? I may be missing something but I don't recall him ever being in Monrovia. Wayno

9. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

A year or two ago a guy had one of those for sale on eBay and I tried buying it from him after the auction ended. I spent a couple weeks digging for info and never found anything linking him to Monrovia BUT during the time period when it would have been made was definitely one of Miller's, shall we say, "transitional" periods.

Since then I've come to wonder whether or not it might be related to EDDIE Miller, he of Miller streamliner fame.

Regardless, it's a really interesting piece and makes me wonder if there isn't a similarly branded aluminum head out there that would match it.

Cris

10. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I know Eddie Millers grandson pretty well. I'll ask him. Wayno

11. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Cris, while I'm thinking about it, what years do you figure we're talking? Wayno

12. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Does anyone run a stroker made up of C crank offset ground 3/8" using A rods and 318 chrysler pistons what are they like for reliability, much more torque, any one got an OHV stroker?

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I have a 3/8" stroker with an overhead. A rods with Ross pistons. Lots of power. broken 2 cranks in @ 1500 miles. All sreet use. The engine is broken now and will not be fixed with that much stroke again.

14. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Would that be from to many revs not enough minutes or just a piss weak crank it has to weaken the crank a far bit. where did they brake at the radius on the throws or near the mains?

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

First one broke at the rear throw and the #4 rod journal In less then 200 miles. .030 fillet on all bearing journals. Second has broken at the rear main and shattered the rear main cap. Both broke at less then 3000 rpm in a light car. I think this is too much to ask of old steel. IMHO

16. We started on the Bonneville Roadster... '23 T with a flathead Model B...

[​IMG]

So I had to put the Columbia up for sale. Things must be rough out there, it's modified to fit into a Model A, I'm only asking $1800, and I haven't had a single e-mail on it. :(

Anyone have a v8 quick change they want to trade?

[​IMG]

17. JP

JP
    from BayArea

I have been reading the Banger posts for the last couple years, just wanted to say thanks to all of you for all the information that you have shared. I have been able to build and start driving my car with all of the information that I have got from the "Banger Meets", and all of HAMB for that matter.

http://gallery.me.com/john.sheldon#100014

THANKS EVERYONE.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  18. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Well, I say Harry Miller because the guy that gave me this said he had a Miller OHV head he would give me if he could find it in his shop. So I have just associated this intake with H.A. Miller.

I also have never seen a published ad for ths manifold, while i have seen both Trojan and Roof dual updraft ads. Miller advertised heavily during '30-'31.

I also saw this today for the first time...

Attached Files:

19. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Well, not done anything with me own banger. Did go to the Coranado Speed Festival and watched The Ford 4 Bangers blast around the runway. Great to see some Ford stuff running against the Exotic European Models.

Sorry about the picture quality - did buy a new camera after!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  20. Looks good!

[​IMG]

21. I know of an "A" engine with a 1/8" stroker crank that has 15,000 miles on it. Some of these miles are freeway miles.It is also raced at all the local hillclimbs And the Antique Nationals. It is a "sleeper". I have an engine with a 4 5/16" stroke but it is not on the road yet. I have installed a SBC dampener on it. I have had 2 counterbalanced "A" cranks break both at #4 throw. On my stroker crank I didn't measure the radius but I did have a conversation with the crank grinder and he brought up the subject of a larger radius. With the 5/32" stroke $" bore and a slightly milled Al repop Winfield head it is around 8.5 to 1. One other point that has seen some discussion here, I'm starting this engine, with a 20 Lb. flywheel, with a stock "A" 6 volt starter on 6 volts

22. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Went drag racing a few of weeks back, did appallingly thanks to the little Winfield carb and electrical problems but still had a good time. Finally making steps to get my bigger Winfield refreshed and installed. Anybody have any recommendations for rebuild kits for a Winfield? It's a SR size D that I'm looking to refurb.

Here's a couple of shots of the car waiting for the off, courtesy of Neal Reed at Retrophoto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Blimey, forgot all about the drags at the beginning of September. Well remembered, Neil! Nice pics too. Here's a couple of pics of me at the same meet, again courtesy of Retrophoto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the Four-Banger Meltdown, Enbloc won once again, though times were down across the board. I could only manage 17.6 seconds, chasing a best of 17.3. I think Clark was stuck in the 16's after demolishing everyone with his 15.7 last time out.

Everyone needs to gang-up on Wrong-Un and tell him to get his other Winfield rebuilt otherwise he'll never get out of the 19's.

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill and/or anyone else that has input on this:

I have posted pictures of the two crank dampers that I have found. The first is the Winfeild type that Sac. Vintage Ford sells. The second is the SBC type that Taylor sells.

Is one beter then the other?

What is your experience?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Daddyo,

I absolutely do not recommend the Winfield dampner. I ran this dampner for 4 runs at Bonneville, and it practically sheered itself off. It comes with a machined collar and it tends to vibrate itself into oblivion. I have also heard the same story from other banger guys.
    I am now running a SBC style, but I have heard of a few other racers having trouble with the vulcanized rubber separating, but it hasn't happened to me yet. So on a 1-10 scale...... Winfield gets a 2 and modified SBC get an 8. That's my opinion anyway.

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Was thinking of a dampner myself. Interesting reading Bobby. Anyone else with any experience of them? Bill...which type are you using?

27. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

I thinking on a dampner me to so anyone have the adress to Taylors i dont find that

28. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

29. I'm using a SBC as suppled by Taylor Engine, it appears to be identical to one developed by Vic King. I have heard of clearance problems with front spring "U"bolts on "28" "29" with the Winfield. The above post was the first negative feedback I have seen regarding Winfield dampener, but most i have heard were from people with "warmed over" engines on the street. My experience has been the Antique Nationals and hill climbs. All of these have been redlined at 4 to 4500 RPM's with a couple at 5 grand. It is just wind it up and drop the clutch. At hillclimbs we run 5.30's and start in 2nd gear. The car weighs 1500 lbs. so it does break loose. At the 66 hill climb this year Jay burnt more rubber each pass so the speed went up but so did the ET's. He went 1 MPH faster on each of his last 3 passes but the ET's went up a few 100's of a second also. And it is now official, my car cannot run next year unless I have an 8 gallon fuel tank so I may retire it.

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the input Bobby.
    And I would like to repeat....Old Crow Rules !!!!!

Someday I'd like to hear the details on the reverse induction.

Bill,
    I didn't stay for the timed runs at route 66. What were your time? and speeds?