Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any PICS on the 555 (Triple Nickel) A roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Anybody?
    ......PLEASE post 'em here....

thank you and good day.:)

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

You know it is on the video I haven't sent you......
    I'll ask Dad.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Update.

Dad's calling an old photographer that used to shoot hundreds of pictures at the drags locally. He's kinda wierd with his pictures thoug, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think it's in the big Petersen model A Book, and featured in HRM around 1960

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Would this be the one of which you speak ?

Attached Files:

EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes... thats the car.... I have that shot and a rear view......
    I was under the impression it was black... (as I was conversing with Flat Top)
    yea.... that 29 is what I am looking for.

Root.....The winter is coming and the nights are cold.....need some video to keep me warm.....
    hahaha
    Holding breath.......

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Jeff, it was black after Murray and Waters sold it to the guys in Amarillo. I'm not sure if it was painted black before or after it was sold, but it was in Amarillo when it was black.

It had mags/slicks on the back and I think 10-spoke spindle mounts on the front when it was black, and the 555 lettering was yellow and red if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can dig up a pic for you.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. eye bone

eye bone

It's sky blue, saw it in person 1996 Oakland Roadster Show.

9. eye bone

eye bone

Sorry, Got it confused with the Yeakel Bros roadster… "Never Mind!"

10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

The restored version is based off of how it looked when it was on the cover of Rod & Custom Dec. 56. I"m pretty sure the paint color on the original version and the resto is '55 Ford Peacock Blue, but it definitely was black by '60 or so.

It ran a 265 Chevy when Murray and Waters had it, and got a blown Chrysler later on....about the time it got painted black.

Here's a shot of the resto.

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I remember it as black, actually "Dark" given the grainy BW photos, in the Petersen book.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Brian, is that the car or is that a recreation? I thought the fella in Amarillo still had it trying to restore it? Or was that his second car?

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yeah, the guy around Amarillo is supposed to be restoring his second car, a T roadster also numbered 555 and called "the Triple Nickle." Red '25 or so T with a blown fuel Chrysler.

I'm pretty sure the resto is the original car. Shortly after Rod & Custom was revived in the late 80's, Pat Ganahl ran a photo of the car as found...and I think it was bought and restored a few years later.

I'm still looking for a photo of the black version. I don't think I have the issue of Hot Rod that it was in here at the shop.

14. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here ya go Jeff....this shot is from TRJ #27. The guys that owned it from Amarillo were Bob Johnson and Don Morgan.

I'm pretty sure it had magnesium wheels on the rear in the Hot Rod Magazine feature, but I could be mistaken.

Attached Files:

• 555a.jpg
      555a.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    EVL401, alfin32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Jeff - I will look tonight, but I think I have some shots of it...

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

The black version looks wicked.

BTW, I have some more footage coming from friend. Converted 8mm tapes. Shwing!

18. NealinCA

NealinCA

This car is a re-creation, they looked at the original and decided it was too far gone. Dean Murray lives close by and the car was built in a friends shop a few miles from my house. They just finished it up earlier this year.

I took these out at the Paso Robles airport this summer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-Roy took more pics at a local show...

http://picasaweb.google.com/57WAGGN/EarlyFordV8Club#

Neal

EVL401, alfin32 and Retson the Racer like this.
  19. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Neal, thanks for the clarification....and the great shots of the roadster.

The Triple Nickel in its R&C cover form is one of my favorites...I'm putting a similar 265 Chevy in my Model A Roadster, and I'm planning on painting the 265 in a similar light blue color as a tribute of sorts.

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fellas,
    Thanks so much.....

To spill my idea out for all to hear(or ridicule) I have decided to build a race car.
    After attending a local meet with my pal,Candyman... I think I really want to do this.
    I have been researching my fav race car and hero,Tony Nancy and just love his JR.22 29.(ALL versions of course)
    I have my 32 5 winda project and I have all I need. But,after this weekend with Mother's Worry and Neil I just found a thrill.I am making up my mind to put the 32 project under wraps for a while.
    I really need to do this.
    Looking at tons of ref. material I have of the JR 22 and now a slice into the 555 car.... it has stoked my imagination.
    What I do not want to do is build a clone. That does not interest me nor can I afford it.I find that these cars are beautiful....but to me... they are highly over restored. Nothing wrong with that.... just not my snack bracket.

I have a choice of power plants available.....
    A complete and stock 401 nailhead(needs full rebuild, of course)
    Or a complete stock and re-buildable Chrysler hemi.
    I have more Chrysler stuff already,.... a built 727 torqueflite with a reverse manual body and killer shift kit,a blower manifold, a pending full blower with all the pulleys... and all the trimmings.
    The search for a blower manifold for the Nailhead would be the hardest(anyone got one?:)I also need to find a suitable tranny for the nailhead....maybe a 2 speed powerglide.
    But the cheaper of the 2 would be the nailhead....
    I have front suspension and would need a rear.Most likely I would use a nine inch.
    I think because this is going to be a full on race car.... I would use a glass body.I contemplated using steel, but the cost and my ideas of what I want far out weigh the final purpose.(I am thinking out loud here...>>>Fliptop body.(I just love the Drag'n Fly.)Steel tin has just climbed to high in cost to justify.
    I need to study both cars more to gain ideas.
    I may even work with a Sedan.... but I want a 28-29 for sure.
    I don't want to become competitive... just have fun...

I think I could budget this for around 17-25 k.... neat and tidy...but no museum piece. That would defeat its purpose.

And of course... this project would take 2-4 years.....

Think I am stupid?:rolleyes:

EVL401, kidcampbell71 and ct1932ford like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This started the inch....... damn.
    Ok Texas... spill the beans.I saw this and had little time to find out any info...
    Mr. Bass?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EVL401, kidcampbell71 and ct1932ford like this.
  22. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I have pix of the Triple Nickle on the salt in '98 running a "GM Corporate V6" motor. That's the best description I could get from guy (Smokey Alleman?)

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jeff, I think you could build it cheaper if you trade out labor etc. Nailhead manifolds are hard to come by but they are out there. Do it Bro.

24. klazurfer

klazurfer

Hi Jeff
    I have nothing on the "555" car , but I thought you might enjoy these pix .
    ( Mark Van Buskirk sendt me those pix some years ago . ( the TOP Banana was up for sale , and he was kind enuff to forward pix & info ..... I had no $$ at that time , so .. well :eek: )
    Anyways ... , Looks close to the "555" , So if you are building an A-raceRoadster ...
    Klaz:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Root/thats the plan.
    Klaz/..thats awesome...thanks!

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yer nutz all right

but in a good way

a friend (who insists on remaining anonymous) has been trying to get me to build something like that with some of my left-over junk...
    very tempting..

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea Paul.... Left over stuff..... mmmmm.

28. NoSurf

NoSurf

29. eye bone

eye bone

I knew I'd seen that car in sky blue paint before some where!

Hey Jeff while researching this build check out this web page… some cool examples of 28-9's (as well as other awsome thing's (check out the Bantom) here…

http://gassermadness.com/norms/Roadsters/index.html

30. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hey Jeff: Let me know when you want me to go down to the metal supplier I use (Rob who lives around the corner, Ha Ha) and start building your frame..... Hurry up you can decide on the colour later. Remember in todays age we have safety which our idols never thought of, therefore; the roll cage/double hoops will have to be added or your lovely wife would kick your butt.

By the way, good old Jeffery is on a diet looking "lean and mean" so he will be able to crawl into a kool drag car and kick my butt.....

Hey just my two cents, run the hemroid as you have all the parts........ Nailhead blower manifold, very hard to find.... Hey use a 2 X 4 Nailhead intake, mill out the center and weld the upper plenum on it as I hear this has been achieved with other motors....

I'll build your frame/cage/floor, etc. real cheap, just one little piece of art work and the obvious increase to your life insurance policy.........