Register now to get rid of these ads!

"the- DID YOU KNOW?" or "HAMB.....HOLLANDER[TM]" POST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Shoebox ford brakes can be made self adjusting by using ranger self adjusters on all four corners.

heater motor #pm350 is a bolt in for most older heaters. its 3/4 inch taller but everything else is the same. you do have to add a gm style resistor pack to get variable speed.

early 70's dodge had the smallest inline heater control valve, and its cable operated.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

If you bend a car antenna just right it makes a perfect coat hanger.

3. Door key too.

4. john walker

john walker

55-57 chevy electric wiper motors also are a direct bolt on to a 49 cadillac. the cable fits right on also. just run "key on" power to it. of course you would have to have a 12V system. i put one on my 50 cad, same thing, but the recess in the firewall needs some massaging to clear the end of the motor.

5. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

To mount a late GM steering column in a 60-66 Chevy truck, find a steering shaft from a 1 ton truck (60-66). The coupler is the exact size for a late column. Also, to lower an early 60s C10 rear end with trailing arms, don't buy the expensive lowering springs. Chevelle springs are a bolt in and drop your truck about 3" (I got a pair at a swap meet for $25)

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Maybe not a parts interchange, but-

Most Ford power window motors use a nylon intermediate gear inside the drive. If the window motor is turning but the window isn't moving, 99% chance that the nylon inside is completely broken up.

Remove the window motor, unscrew the inspection cover, and clean out all the broken up plastic with brake cleaner. Take a 3/8" dowel rod and cut them into 1/4" tall pieces, stick them in there appropriately, pack with grease, reassemble. They'll last just about forever, I did this trick 12yrs ago on a Thunderbird and they still work perfectly.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

....Early Jeep CJ 15 gallon tanks fit nicely under the bed of 47-53 Chevy Pickups

....36-38 Ford gauges are all the same only with different color faces and font.

....For flathead adaptations.. a 35-36 ford temp gauge and bulb is longer in length than 37 & 38 temp gauge assys. That is the only difference.. they can be adapted for different year flathead engine configurations when extra length is required.

.... 1959-63 Ford 12 volt Generators are a great replacement for earlier 6 volt generators. The diameter and length is the same and the only change required would be grinding the front generator mounting lug.

8. Judd

Judd

-289/302/351W/351C are all the same when it comes to motor mounts and bellhousing bolt patterns.

Early 1965 289 have different 5 bolt pattern. Some later 3 + 4 speeds have the early and late pattern and will bolt to early bell.

small block ford will bolt in 57 Ford with y-block frame mounts and 64 Comet/Falcon v8 motor mounts

9. Judd

Judd

I have a 95 351W roller block now and had a 93 302 roller block both with 67 289 front covers. The 302 had mechanical pump but I went to electric on the 351 cause I had the whole set up to use. I could use the mechanical pump in the 351 if I needed to.

10. Judd

Judd

Yes it doesat least the later 302 double eccentric . 289 oil slinger will fit on the crank snout of 302/351W and end any problems with oil leaks there.

11. Judd

Judd

Big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate works on early Buick Nailheads.

12. The Ford parts also fit my '88 Chrysler, probably many others. Next time I'll just use dowels. But could this lead to the (more expensive) ring gear stripping instead of the nylon pieces? I figure that's why it was made this way.

13. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Windshield for a 61 Chevy 2 door Belair.......... is there anything that fits besides 61 Chevy, I think the code is DW609, and where is the best place to get one

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

might have better luck starting your own thread on this one

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

shit! there for a sec, i thought kenny had came back to the darkside!!!! miss ya buddy! :(

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Also on a Packard V8

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

...........and 250 Chevy inlines

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea, me too... i kinda miss the chopped one from MO.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I bet it's made that way so you don't crush a kid's hand in the window - the plastic would give first (maybe?).

But they won't now. So watch out! :D

20. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Probadly all the inliner guys already know this, but I though I would through it in, that a HEI distributor out of a mid 70s-early 80s 250 or 292, will fit the 235s!!
    Just has to have the alum coller ground off on the dist housing, and use the later lock down clamp.
    Shadetree

21. I can,t remember if its posted in this thread but I just converted my 57 Chevy Belairs front hubs to tapered roller bearings from the original ball bearings by using the hubs from a 63 Chevy full size. I used information I learned here on the HAMB to do it successfully.Apparently 61-68 full size,some older Vettes and Corvair hubs will also work.Way cheaper than buying the conversion through an after market supplier!

22. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

My '57 Buick has 80's GM stw rear shocks, part nr. Gabriel 69604
    They fit on '58 Buick also, and if I remember right, Buicks from '54 to '61 has same frame so those shocks should be right length for those all, short and longer wheelbase.

Don't know if all nailheads, but 364 starter accepts '62 Cadillac bendix-gear.

23. repoman

repoman

And Pontiac V8. You can also use a BB Chevy fuel pump in a Pontiac by swapping the pump arm.

Also, SB Ford rockers fit Pontiac. Cheap and available in 1.6 ratio.

Lose your flywheel bolts for your Pontiac? Steal some from a Dana 60 ring gear.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  24. You beat me to this. I did this on my 49 Cad when I noticed the one from my 57 chev sitting on the shelf looked like it might work. 10 minutes later 18 years ago it was on the car. When I get to the Chev. i'll need to buy another. I think that swap will probably work on a lot of vehicles with suck wipers.
    I put 1973 fullsize Chevy disc brake rotors on my 49 Cad by grinding off the portion of the original inside bearing race that the bearings ride on, leaving a spacer the same size as the inside of the wheel seal. Almost a bolt on. Then I made up brackets to bolt to the spindles to attach the calipers to.
    The headlight seals from a 55 Chevy are the same as a 49 Cad. but cheaper to buy. I think the headlight buckets are the same too and the same as many single headlamp GM vehicles.
    On another note. The brass float from the fuel tank sending units of many vehicles (the cylinderical shaped one that snaps into the arm) was available from Mopar. I do not know if it still is. I put of alot of these in Fords.
    Keep in mind that some manufacturers sell to all car brands. This goes for brake parts, wheels, driveline parts electrical parts and more.

Alden

25. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I've done a whole lot of these over the years. I use ball bearings, though. Never had one then strip out the big ring gear. The spacers appear to me to come a apart because they get hard and brittle (from heat? age?). They do not appear to me to have been designed to fall apart for any safety reason.

26. hot rust

hot rust

another quick fix is to fill the cavity with body filler and before it hardens remove the drive, let it set, clean everything and reinstall the drive. old used car lot fix.

27. GooGooMuck

GooGooMuck
    from Tacoma, WA

NO! learned this one the hard way, as I had a 88 LeSabre in highschool (insert laughs and boos) , the mid-size FF GM cars are 5x115 NOT 5x114.3=4 1/2. After purchasing some wheels, which they ordered in the wrong size, guess who had brand new wheel studs installed free all the way around. What a mess, and it took another two weeks to get me the wheels in the right size!

So I'm glad to hear they worked as rollers for you, and even more so that no harm was had as a result. It sounds like you're lucky they were so ugly, kept ya from driving on them!

-Muck

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The nose on the early small block Chevy starters that bolt to the bellhousing are interchangable with the much cheaper at the parts counter 60's Chevy starters that bolt to the block.

'69 Barracuda hoods are interchangable with '73-'76 Dodge Dart/Dart Sports

29. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Henry J's didn't use Ford front suspension but they will bolt up just the other way around rightside/left leftside/right. It's a way to lower the car also. Or the stock Kaiser knuckles can be flipped to lower the car 4 inches.

30. El Gordo

El Gordo

They also fit the little 194!:D

Also when I first got my '64 Acadian (Nova body) It had rags for tires and bent rims. Needed rims & tires that held air to roll the car around during the body work stage, borrowed a fitfinder from the local tire shop and found that 2wd s10 rally rims fit perfect. Looked like crap untill I found out that the original hubcaps fit on the rally rims.
    They WERE temperary but now with a little paint on the rims and the correct size tires and they are staying put.