Register now to get rid of these ads!

***TECH: 32 RPU Project - Roadster-izing a $50 Cab in 3 Simple Steps***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Oct 7, 2008.

1. F-head

F-head

Neal,
    that is some beautiful work,very impressive.
    Bruce
    do you have the number of the guy that sells those top bracket bezel stampings?

2. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

wow looks great!

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

If that's not inspiring and making my pile of rusty tin look doable, I don't know what is. Nice work.

4. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

I'am sending this down, let me know when it's done!!!!!:):D Fantistic work!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

5. I think the reason I like hot rods is that they are a platform for so much absolutely awesome fabrication work. AMAZING!!! Great work!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! I love it! Some really smart fabrication and well done at that. Carry on and keep sharing!

7. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

wow.nice work and one hell of a good tech thread.thanks

8. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Great attention to details, that's some very fine fabrication ...

CC

9. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Wow!
    Very nice fabrication!!!!

10. James427

James427
    BANNED

Great work and foresight!

11. Justin B

Justin B

neal, very, very nice.

that's kinda similar to a back burner project i have in my head, but you took it a few steps further than i was thinking and it looks amazing. i would say hurry up and get it done so you could drive it but this one definetly deserves taking some time to finnish. still can't wait to see it as a done truck, again great job.

12. brady1929

brady1929

what can i say that hasn't already been said? cool little roadster pick up!

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Winner. Great ideas and "just do it" attitude. Awesome!

14. Squablow

Squablow

Beautiful work. Without the comparison pictures, it would be hard to appreciate all the effort that went into the door jambs. On my '26 roadster the previous owner hammered a bent-over nail into the wood of the door that you rotate to keep the door closed. Guess I'll have to change that.

Can I ask, where did you find all the parts? Have you had some of this stuff for years? Those doors and that box, seem like hard to come by pieces.

I agree with whoever said this is the best closed-cab pickup to open cab conversion I've seen yet.

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

My favorite motor on this site is now surrounded by a great body and chassis. Excellent thought/theory and workmanship........Mike

16. atch

atch

a handbuilt '32 rpu made from a closed cab pu to go with a hand built '32 grill shell built from a gmc truck grill surround. amazing. simply amazing...

for your next project i bet you'll make a model a coupe deck lid from a pinto door. and it'll be perfect, too.

why can't you be my next door neighbor?

17. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Very, very, very nice. Great work. I will say it once again...you make it look so easy! How come everytime I fabricate it looks like ASS!

Great job and thanks for sharing!

monkey

18. greendream

greendream

Truely amazing work! Thanks for posting.

19. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Talk about making a silk purse out of a pigs ear. What a fantastic job!!!!Thank the Lord for your amazing skills and thanks a lot for sharing.

20. blackout

blackout

21. Incredible. If i saw it in person I would be fooled... that really looks like a gennie RPU!

22. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

That's a thing of beauty!!!...who needs Brookville...

23. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

My hat is off to you, Sir! You are a true Artist of Metal!

Thank you for sharing with us Mortals!

24. NealinCA

NealinCA

No, I don't know him...but he is always at LA Roadsters and the CHRR. You know anyone coming down to Famoso this weekend? I'm not going, but might be able to help out if needed.

Neal

25. Neal, I was impressed when I first saw you turn a GMC grille into a '32 grille. Now I'm astonished. Great work!

26. racemad55

racemad55

I do, damit, cause' I aint that talanted! Beautiful work! I'm still trying to figure out how to make the G.M.C. grill surround out of a deuce grill shell!

27. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just ask around and keep my eyes peeled. I started gathering 32 parts 6 years ago when I drug home this cab...one piece (or sometimes 1/2 a piece) at a time. My dad found the bed down the road for $125. The bed is actually a 33-34, shortened 5" ahead of the wheel well...to get the wheelbase correct.

Mild Mitch gave me some doors and I bought another at an estate sale. I bought a whole pile of stuff at that estate sale for $100...in the pile was the 32-34 p/u door and a '37 hudson steering gear. I couldn't believe it. I guess I enjoy hunting for parts just as much as the rest of the build.

Someone commented on my patience with this build...my wife read that, lauughed, and said "more like obsession..."

And again...thanks for the positive feedback.

Neal

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

And THIS is why you don't simply cut the roof off of something to make a roadster.
    Awesome WORK!!

29. Or you post on the HAMb that you will take any parts that you want to donate to the project. So any photos of that fire wall?