Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nexxussian

nexxussian

Peanut shells I didn't list on purpose, they have nothing to do with luck. It has everythign to do with certain low life wana be racers dumping them down the carbs :mad:. (fuel cell, ram stacks, whatever).

2. 8889coupe

8889coupe

a few pics of my work in progress.....

Attached Files:

3. Lotta drool material there!

4. 8889coupe

8889coupe

here are a few more pics of my collection, there are a couple pics from eldora speedway from 1966 & 1968 featuring the Hart & Jones Sprinter from Cincinnati Ohio, My dad built the car back in 1964 and ran it until 1969 then he built the Ron Hart Enterprise #48 Champ dirt car, he raced it from 1969 till 1973, As you seen in the earlier pic, the car doesnt have a engine yet, i have one thats ready to go in but im missing the clutch and flywheel set up and the starter, so if anyone out there has one im willing to buy, the car sits in my garage in the same condition as the last day it was raced, the car has never lefted my family, hopefully by next year at Winchester ill have the Champ Car and the Sprinter running. so again if any of you have any vintage parts for sale im game... i just wanted to say thanks josh for making up this thread, it really great to see all these old cars...

Attached Files:

5. $$$$$$ I had a 5-cent coin welded on the bumper of my sprinter, when I wrecked it and had a huge pile of scrap in a heap I wasn't broke as I still had a NICKEL TO MY NAME >>>>.

6. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

This is such a fantastic thread, thank you corn for starting it, and to evereyone that has contributed to it, it's great reading. I hope to post lot's more old sprinter pics as soon as I can get them scanned and on the computer.

I Have been meaning to post on here forever, and I finally found some time to do it.
    A few years ago, I bought a pre war sprint car out of Connecticut, and I'd like to share the pictures and what limited history I have on it.
    Here are some pictures from the late 60's/ early 70's:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone recognizes the car, please let me know. I think the home made wishbones are the best way to identify the car from any old pictures.
    Here is what I know about the car:
    It was built by the "Ashley Bros." of Saginaw Mich. And ran the IMCA in the Mich. area and later ran in Florida.
    Previous owners include Spencer Riggs in the 60's, Jim Etter, Buzz Hann, Dutch Shire and was restored years ago by Jerry Huntsman of Ohio.
    It ran a Hal single overhead cam head on a model A/B engine. I spoke with Spencer riggs who drove the car in the 60's and he said that all the history prior to the 60's was lost in a garage fire.

Here is how it looked when I bought it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The paint scheme was a little much for me, so I am putting her back to black. Here is how she's looking now:
    [​IMG]

I should be done re-restoring her pretty soon and I hope to go driving in some of the WRA events next year.
    And like I said, if anyone with old pictures recognizes the car, please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  7. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Here is a great photo, taken by Phil Rider, of two of my cars "on track" at the recent Winchester vintage meet. These are two of Parnelli Jones most successful "rides" and, in real life, were never at the same place at the same time.

Owner of both cars, Dr. Robert Dicks, is driving the 1963 Indy 500 winning #98 Agajanian/Willard Battery Spl. Watson roadster replica and Randall Cook is at the wheel of the three time USAC championship winning #1 Fike Plumbing Spl. sprint car replica.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Bobby Green! Thanks for posting! I sent a PM to "old crow" on here about this car a long time ago thinking it was you. I saw the rear shot of the car in the Rodders journal and have been wanting to know more ever since. Its a great looking car, and yeah.. as much as I preach about leaving them alone, that paint would have been a bit much for me as well!

I don't know if you have talked to them yet (for more history) but Jim Etter is still alive and well and a great guy to deal with(deals in old sprinter parts) and I can PM you Buzz Hann's phone number. My ol' man has Jim's number if no one else on here does, and beats me to it.

Your builds are killer.. My college roomate (Scott Williams) and I have followed your stuff for a long time. We called you "The Divco wheel guy":D

Joshua Shaw
    Shaw Hot Rods
    Cin Oh

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Beautiful work Bobby Green.

10. To all the guys who brought their vintage race cars to the Winchester Old Timers, THANK YOU! Those of us who worked on getting this event going could not have done it without you. To all who have said the very kind words about the WOT, thank you. I must now tell you my secret for the success of the event......Dave Weir, Jim Hines, Jim Baugh, Bob Moore, Bill Holder, Don Anderson and the entire staff of Winchester Speedway. The push truck drivers, the guys who volunteered their ATVs to get the cars from the parking lot to the track and back to the parking lot. To the ladies who helped and allowed us to come out and play with the cars...thank you. We would like to think we would have done it anyway but who is kidding who?
    To Charlie Shaw for being a most cordial host and being a HUGE supporter of their even being a Winchester Old Timers.
    Thanks again and maybe we can do this again next year,

Gene Ingram
    Winchester Old Timers
    p.s. Dan, I'm sorry we robbed you of the Chinese fire drill.....:D

11. the shadow

the shadow

I haven't posted in a while so here's the almost finished car that i put together. I am doing the upholstry as we speak (first time'r) I hope to have that in the car in a week or so. I lettered the car to resemble my late uncles car (his name & number + the colors of his car).
    remember this is not a parts correct re-creation just my interpritation of an old champ style car ( I'm a drag racer LOL)
    hope you guys like it?
    Paul
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pretty damn good!

13. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Your right about that Brian26
    "Doc"

14. Found this pic in a box of stuff in the shop. Have no clue who or when it was shot ??? Enjoy >>>>.

Attached Files:

15. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Jim Etter
    102 Deimling Rd.
    Pittsburg, PA 15229
    412-364-1076

I'm sure he will be at Hershey this week.

Bart

16. racer5c

racer5c

That's easy, it's Mike

17. [quote="Doc" Parsons;3184617]Your right about that Brian26
    "Doc"[/quote]

Doc, sorry i missed your spot at Texas. Funny thing though, when I did see you, the sun was in my eyes enough that about all I saw was a silhouette, and there were many cars between us. I still KNEW that was your car! Crazy how you can know a car almost like a person.

18. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great Job The Shadow. It looks great. Makes you want to just jump in and go. Great Inspiration to get mine done.

19. O/T, but

Quoting Roger Daltry of The Who

-YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEET THE NEW BOSS, SAME AS THE OLD BOSS!

I just closed a deal to get a legit, 1987 Nance with less than 20 races on it! It was one of the last Nances built with this style of cage! Bad to the BONE! I wanted one since I first layed eyes on one 21 years ago at Lawton. Bubby Jones came through with his Bromme ride and that just hammered the idea into me.

Now do not forget, I am a vintage race car man with an affection for racecars built before the WoO era. I like track noses, no wings and hard square edged right rear tires. But this type of car cut right through me. I want to set it back in the dry and someday do it much like the Bromme car,

[​IMG]

20. I mean this car still has ALL of it's original components right along with the big 38 gallon tank and aluminum hood. Even the hex knockoffs are original. Here's another inspirational shot for me- Bubby at El Centro

[​IMG]

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You betcha, I came up in the cage era also. Now this is JMHO, but I've always considered the Elder Caddy car as about the best looking cage car to hit the track. Couldn't go wrong with a treatment like that.

Attached Files:

22. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

They really dont get much prettier than that..
    Dave

23. No doubt about that. I also like the Grant King cages as well. Trevis is another you couldn't go wrong with, but I'm not too familiar with them.I just know Trevis was unable to build an ugly car.These guys were the first in my opinion to accept that cages were here and they might as well be an art form. In my neck of the woods, these aren't available, uber-impossible to get. There is/was a Grant King 100" car in this state, but that's about it as far as what's on this level.

No, I don't know who's got that one or how much. I will not even try to find it since I only have a few organs left to sell!LOL.....There are so many that are going for the hard to find pieces from the 50' - 70's that those pieces are getting expensive. It's nice to see them being appreciated, but I'm happy with my semi-traditional approach, I find a lot of freedom by not having too much history attached to a car(that's my excuse for not having a historically important car).

By the way, what brand of chassis is that Elder sprinter?

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's a Grant King chassis.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Just for giggles, I did a quicky m/s paint, and I think it would still look pretty bitch'n even with the more modern cage.

Attached Files:

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Congrats Brian26! Thats killer.

JD

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

It was a really neat looking car, no doubt.

28. Did Grant change his cages or did he have more than 1 style by '77? I ask this because I know he did the Halo-syle for several years

[​IMG]

29. I also know there were times when Grant would trade a cage kit or two for other parts or services. Thus there were other chassis out there that although they may have been called by another name, had a GK cage. He was the only one who could do it so well.

[​IMG]

30. Yet the Elder car has a different style of cage

[​IMG]