Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2008 Chopped Rod & Custom Show Pics. *Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aushotrods, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Great pix guys !!

Was workin till Sat afternoon but managed to get my ass up there around 4pm or so, minus my customary ride.

Although a few cars had left already, I managed to catch some real kool rides (esp Mike Ahren's Tudor and that 31 roadster from SA) ....both are killer cars and well built /executed !!

Nice to see the Arduns all there in one place too....made my day !

Good to catch up with the guys once again and a great inaugural event to be sure. Even caught up with Crummo at the pub after stumps on Sat nite which is always a good laugh!!
    Guys this IS a rod & kustom event - to my way of thinking that means RODS & KUSTOMS. Not 50s stockers, POS rat rods or street machines. As Flatoz has stated, this kind of event is LONG overdue on our scene down here and kudos to the guys to have the balls to have a go.

If I had a 50s stocker, and I mean STOCk, I would have left it at home. ROD & KUSTOM.....thats what it means.

Great gig - lookin forward to next year's event, well done Ryan & Co !!

Rat

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. Does anyone know what the final numbers were?

3. Hmmm... straight from the American Racing website...

"American Racing Ansen Sprint Wheels
    Classic style for your car or truck.

These American Racing Ansen Sprint wheels are truly vintage style. Made from one-piece machine alloy, these heavy-duty wheels are designed to be used on a wide variety of applications. They are painted or polished for a professional look and come with fully polished center caps."

Except for the wheels, maybe. But I guess the'yre 'low-tech' billet, so it's OK. ;)

Looks like it was a great show. Just a few thousand miles too far away unfortunately. :(

4. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

looks like a real nice show, thanks for posting all the pictures everyone.

what i don't get is they let this in:

[​IMG]

and they let this in:

[​IMG]

but they turn this guy away???

[​IMG]

certainly no disrespect meant towards the first two cars but WTF?

5. It's a restored car with headlight covers and curb feelers.

I don't see a problem with it. They wanted 'traditonal' styled hot rods and customs (whatever that may be) and it's their right to grant/refuse entry to the show.

What they should do though, and I'm not sure if they did do this as I wasn't there, was have a VIP parking lot for cool cars that didn't suit the show.

6. blackout

blackout

Aussie spirit builds fine Hot Rods Thanks for posting

7. flatoz

flatoz

couple more.

Lynch's cammer

[​IMG]

Dicko's roadster.

[​IMG]

couple of shots heading home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great to hear you made it Rat, was wondering where you were??

8. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Yep.....in this day and age of advertising far and wide on the net (let alone ringing people from 200 miles away in Melbourne to bring their cars out to support the event), that "whatever that may be" coulda been more defined.

....and there's still manners, AFTER we paid for 2 of our cars and occupants to get in, I went back to see what was the hold-up on the 58 Plymouth.....he'd been told to just park it outside in the street, then pay to go inside the show.....I informed the organizer "This guy has already spent $100 today to be here to support you"......and he says "thats allright" .......like ' Big Deal....Who Cares'.

When he coulda been like, "Man....that's gourgeous......we've got a SPECIAL parking section for classics over here,.....and we'd like to invite you to display this beauty over there"

Then later, his father talked to me about his glory days driving around with the Pirottas in STOCK Caddys and Imperials (and shit they woulda been GREAT days!)
    There is NO DOUBT that Ryan knows cool cars and where its AT.
    All my mates who know him reckon he's a TOP DUDE.

BUT

There WERE shitbox rat rods WITH IFS and cycle fenders in the show, there WERE pretty much stock cars in the show.
    there WERE less than 100 cars at the show ALL of Saturday Afternoon.
    there WERE non-operational cars with licence plates on (where DID they hide their trailers???)
    it WAS too far away for the 8 of us to say GET F*#&ED and go home

That same guy won't be bringing his OTHER cars in future years.....NEITHER WILL I, or anyone who asks me if its worth going to !

9. Mark, I see your point, and I would be really pissed if I drove up to be knocked back. But If they let every car in, they miss the point of the show they are trying to hold, and then if they let even one car in that they know or whatever, then someone else will roll up and say 'but you let that guy in'. They have to have the balls to knock people back, or it just turns into what John's has become, dont get me wrong, I go to Johns every year, and love it, but you have to sifft through allot of stuff that, I feel shouldnt be there.

Guys with billet cars, resto cars or even VW's should not complain, you have nearly every other event you can participate in. We deserve our own event, the trad guys are not trying to fit into a large group.

If these guys can keep up the entry standard, then I will be back. I even bought there little books.

I am not a social butterfly, I do what I do b/c I love it, and dont know what people have in there sheds, but until I saw the guys from SA cars, I was little dissapointed of our trad car scene here. Best cars of the show, in my eyes.
    So keep it up boys, great job, great Idea, hold fast.
    Even if its a small turn out of cars, you know it will be the right cars.

Attached Files:

10. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

Aw, shucks! Stop it, you're making me blush! It's ok, i don't mind being an after-thought!:rolleyes:. Beers, sounds good!

11. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

I think Ryan said about 120, good for first event

12. bullitt

bullitt

we tried hard to get up there and support a new event, worked for nearly a month on the car only to have a welsh plug let go on the way up!

but we got there in the end, late sunday arvo! ha ha! i think i'd get the award for latest arrival!!

well done to ryan and the boy's, looked like a top weekend.

13. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

It seems to me as though some people making comments in this thread should look at a couple of other threads from "Billetproof"!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295724&highlight=billetproof
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295750&highlight=billetproof

If this is what the weekend was based on, the Chopped crew got it spot on!
    WARNING! It may upset some viewers, it contains so-called "POS RAT RODS" (by the way, in Oz we have to have cycle guards) and also some cars that are not painted all shiny!
    But hey, dont get me wrong, that Fury is a cool car!

14. Stone

Stone

nice rides. Thanks for posting the coverage

15. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

By the way, I love my new avatar!

16. munchr

munchr

The numbers on the gate were over 120 on the Sat & I left sun arvo after being camped at the gate sat night & the number of entrants was over 145 at that stage.

Mark as far as I was aware there were only two cars there that did not run or drive, one a roadster that is owned by the organiser & the other being the ute with 5 carbs on it which was parked near it's trailer. I also had friends in attendance whose cars were not allowed in, it didn't offend them or stress them & they hung around to support it all weekend anyway as that is the laid back attitude of most who attend these events.

as for the shitbox rat rods with ifs, I only saw two with ifs & cycle gaurds, the rules on the flyer did say ""no ifs on un fendered cars" I can't say I saw any that didn't meet this critique?

I turned up in my merc wagon unsure if I'd get in as it looks stock with pipes, steelies & thin whites, it has had a complete drive train swap tho' & was welcomed in. I would've had no hassles if they said no & still enjoyed the weekend. One of the guys with me built that lil' "rat tow truck" thing just to take to this sort of event so there is wide support for shows like this.

In reality if all people can do is shitcan guys for having the balls to have such an event, why not hold your own so you can set the rules to suit ?

Also can you show me which cars were non operational with plates on? I'm quite interested as I was there on the ground for the whole show from fri arvo til sun arvo & saw what came on trailers & what didn't. There were also many cars that travelled with no glass fitted just to make the event.

as above there were many nice cars turned away, did you see the blown red oxide 35/6 chev coupe at the gate on sunday? very nice but a shame it had billet wheels hence why it was sitting at the gate........

17. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

Agreed!

18. bullitt

bullitt

the outline of the show was pretty clear to me too.

i guess people could have inquired prior to the event as to weather their was suitable or not. a mate of mine did. that way you don't get upset/insulted/annoyed at the gate....

19. rustybones

rustybones

guys awesome event i cruised with the kardinals we stayed fi , sat ,sun .great event great cars great people .though after eating 4 bullboars and a slab of coopers i dont think i will shit properly for a week .i felt privileged to attend the first event as this will be huge in the years to come .it was like what johns used to be like before they let the GT and toranas in and becomes JOHNS CAR SHOW

20. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Some of you guys may know of or have visited our top traditional event here in Auckland NZ, The Hotrod Blowout hosted by The Scroungers. Their new venue allows for all the traditional rides to enter one area and be grouped together while all the other non-traditional hotrods/classics etc are directed to another adjacent area so as not to lose focus on what it is all about. The public can still easily browse both areas and keeps all the car owners happy too cause they kind of still feel part of it all (if that makes sense).
    The venue is an old Karting circuit which has been there for years and still in use. It even has a dirt oval which I believe they're trying to get use of next year.

21. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Bit harsh on the plymouth i think, he should of pulled the hubcaps off and painted his wheels black :rolleyes:

Good lookin show...unfortunately I was with bullitt all the way and by the time we got there (bloody miles away!) we saw the end of sunday...he definitely gets the 'late arrival' trophy!!

22. A9X

A9X
    from Australia

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

23. A9X

A9X
    from Australia

Hey, Go Easy

24. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Thanks for the education......It was nice to learn what BilletProof was, coz I'd never heard of it before.

All that bitching was about the cars let in while it was bursting-full......NOT about the nice cars they told to 'go jump' while the site was more than half-empty.

Thanks for assuming that we don't know about cycle-guard laws in Australia......unfortunately, I AM from Australia.
    Bottom line....if you're not running the FULL-stock-fenders on an early car.....then IFS looks GAY.

I used POS rat-rods....as opposed to 'quality, original well-thought-out rat rods' (eg Rod Hadfield's bits)...I guess this was my mistake for assuming that all the cars there travel on public roads with NEW creative ideas that we haven't seen a gazillion times already on the HAMB.

I remember your car when it was for sale at the Super Southern Swapmeet about 4 years ago.....and it was nice to see that you've sprayed Ed Roth Green flake on the top half of it since then.

Full Kustom, man!

Please consider......we're talking about a footy oval on the other side of Castlemaine here....NOT So Cal.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  25. earlieamodel

earlieamodel
    from australia,

i went down to the event and loved it good work ryan and guys and good to see people still have a thing for traditional cars and rods,
    on the other hand i did no see any POS rat rods there that were drivers and can not work out what cars you are referring to,there was one unfinished dummied up car there on sat on display,
    any way thanks for the great event and if you other guys don't like it simply don't go,:D:D

26. munchr

munchr

Just wondering if this is one of the pos things you are reffering to?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it is I suggest you have a closer look at it if you see it elsewhere, it has quite a lot of well engineered & is all homebuilt with a budget of $3,000. It would've had the bower on it as well but he didn't get time o finish off the manifold he has made for it, the blower runs a 3 v-belt system to an open drive that has "gattling gun" style open snout, all home built as well.
    It actually started life with an idea of a burnout rig, I had the cowl in my garden & he had a pair of "T"rails & a driveline a few weeks later this thing was driving around the paddock having fun, which is what I thought i was all about.
    The list of well built things on this little car may actually amaze you if you cared to take a proper look.... but I may be biasedas a good mate built it all in his little shed.

You mention Rods awesome car, now compare the price in parts between these two things, then multiply that by how much fun is had in each one..........

27. Nah, this ain't the place for Trarnas, mate.

28. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Show me TWO pix of this car....

the "traditional" $2995 thermo fan

and

the number plate, or the trailer

29. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

well i had a ace time, thanks to all who made it happen and thanks to adam for the lift up,see ya next year.

30. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

oh for the love of pete would every one stop this pointless banter.
    The weekends over, enjoy the photos and get inspired to build something!
    I know I have!
    the great thing about shows like this, they give you a deadline to strive for..
    so get off the computer and fuckingwell build something that WILL get allowed in and shut your piehole until you do.
    and thats all i have to say about that.