Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did Chevy start using spin on oil filters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Oct 5, 2008.

1. I got a SBC block, 283, 3849852, with a canister style oil filter and a clutch pivot forward of the oil filter... it has the side motor mounts so it's at least '58 or later. When did Chevy go to the spin on oil filters?

2. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Jeeesh!!! Everyone knows that!:D

3. k9racer

k9racer

My 66 chevy ll had a spin on. 327 4 speed I purchased it from a friend who purchased it new. we were amazed when we changed the oil the first time and the filter was spin on type. We had putchased a cartage type. This car had a front sump oil pan a very small iol pump and the Z bar was in a odd location on the block. best I recal the last 3 digits of the cast were 062

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008

4. FWIW, my '59 Pontiac had a cannister filter, my '60 a spin-on. The adapter for the spin-on bolts right up to the older motors.

5. It's not uncommon for earlier motors to have aftermarket adapters allowing for sipn on filters. Millions were probably sold.

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Novas used a spin on with all factory V8 engines starting in 65

7. They got spin on filters ??? >>>>.

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

I think they started using spin on filters when the stopped using canister type.Just kidding .I think it was about 68 ...

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

From '64 - '67 the Nova/Chevy II V-8's used a slightly different block, it had the clutch pivot boss relocated and the filter boss was raised in the block something like -1/2" due to the tight quarters in the Nova subframe to allow clearance for clutch linkage. No room for the standard canister, I had 2 66's Nova engines, a 283 2 Bbl. and a 327/350HP L-79 and they both came with spin on filters. But as a rule '68 was the year it became standard across the board on Chevies.

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

my 67 camaro has a canister,,,

ask me about removing the old o-ring in the block..or better yet,,ask me about NOT removing the old o-ring that sits up in the block,,,,:( haha,,finally figured out why it was leaking after the oil change!

11. a joke lol >>>>.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

here is a photo of a early ( 64 to 67 ) V8 Nova block. See how the filter is recessed up :)

13. deucemanab

deucemanab

The engine number that you gave was a 64 to 67 chevelle 283,so it
    probably has an adaptor in it.my 64 283 has an adaptor that fits a ford
    spin on,so you will need to be sure what threads you have.

14. I have a Chevy II block also (recessed spin on filter), no clutch pivot on it. I thought the one I was asking about was from an older car.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Heavy duty applications, trucks and police cars and such, continued to use the cannister type for some years after 1969 (using a bolt-on adaptor replacing the usual part) because it had finer media and more total flow capacity from its larger size...the passenger car size spin-on apparently bypasses a lot of oil in normal use.

16. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I had an old 1965 283 that had a spin on