Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milky oil smells like gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Musico, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Just changed the oil on a new project (390 ford) the oil in the pan looks a little milky, right away I thought the obvious, head gasket, but the oil smells of gas- what might be the cause (bad fuel pump?) Thanks.

2. Fuel pumps are cheap . I'd do that first since that would be the most obvious cause . Some lubricant companies offer oil analysis pretty reasonably . Maybe wouldn't hurt to do that to cover all the bases .

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

choke stuck closed?

4. 33ghost

33ghost
    from Tennessee

Being a new project how long has it sat with out running an also was it out side just some questions of mine that might help with yours feel free to pm me

5. CGkidd

CGkidd

If the oil has a fuel smell that wouldn't normally cause milky oil. If anything oil would appear thin. Just curious what kind of oil you running?

6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

no

may have sat before I bought it

not sure what was in there, i just bought the car I run 10-40.

I havent driven the car enough to get it hot, now that I have changed the oil, well see what it looks like after a few miles.

7. I had the same problem once. Fuel Pump.

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

head gasket or cracked head,letting water and gas into oil everytime the pistons come up.the oil will be frothy and thick with a gasoline smell.

9. Ice man

Ice man

The only thing that will cause oil to get milky is H2O. Its coming in from some where.

10. I agree, gas will only thin the oil out and cause it to smell of gas. Water or heavy condensation will cause the oil to look milky.

11. 33ghost

33ghost
    from Tennessee

Have seen cars that have sat for a long time get the milky looking oil from condensation is the reason i asked. But with an oil change an keeping a close eye on it to see what happens is cheaper than going out getting head gasketts an all.

12. pull the plugs and examine them for signs of moisture. water and oil is the only thing that makes a"death shake" in a oil pan.

13. I would toss in some Mystery Oil, run it until it gets up to temperature, change the oil and filter and keep an eye on it. And change the fuel pump to ward off evil spirits.

Bob