Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Big Bear

Big Bear

These are great pictures and a great thread! All are from the era I love in racing.
    Thanks to everyone who has posted!

2. Couple More...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Tiny Lund at the Yankee 300 at IRP in 1964...

[​IMG]

4. k9racer

k9racer

I can tell by the Gate at the finish line with the fence ,guard rail and the weeds its Huntsville speedway huntsville alabama. the photo was more than likely taken by Buster Walker. car was owner by Red and Velma Sharp Scotsboro alabama. Friday was from Chatt tenn about 45 miles N.E.. of scotsboro. The 39 number came from all of mr sharp's cars as this was the state designation for that county for use on license plates.... Bobby..

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, K9racer.

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Dave Jensen, then of Independence, Mo., in an ASA race at Winchester. Rich Vogler and Tim Richmond, among others, drove this car at times, sometimes in a different color scheme. I have a diecast of the Richmond car. I believe Dave now runs a successful race parts business in the Charlotte area.

[​IMG]

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I guess only Linda Vaughn could get away with walking on the hood of a car with high heels! Man I love the thread, early stock cars are the sh*t!

8. txtom

txtom

Here is Tim Richmond in a Jensen Team car working turn 2 at the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway during the 1985 All-American 400.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

That's the diecast I have. That race in 85 is also the one I was writing about in my Driven to the Past column on Frontstretch.com a couple of weeks back.

10. txtom

txtom

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Tom. I've been there. I've been through there and love the photos, especially from 1984 and prior, when I was there with ASA Wish you had a photo of the crossover before the start from the 1984 race or before. I'll keep watching for new posts.

Thanks again...

12. I have the same one John, my son gave it to me as a gift. Heck, I have at least 20 modifieds and a Michael Waltrip DEI 15. All gifts from The Bullfather. :eek:

This was a small portion of them. Now mopst are in a wall case.

[​IMG]

13. racer67x

racer67x

http://www.dirtfans.com/RebirthofaGIANT.html
    here is a link to a pretty cool web page dedicated to restoring an old '70 Chevelle dirt car that was famous back in the day.
    the quality and attention to details is pretty impressive.
    I love seeing these old cars brought back to life!
    :)

14. They used all new Goodmark pieces it looks like! That's cool, stock car pieces fresh from the mill!

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I want to apologize for misidentifying one of the photos from the Yankee 300 in 1964 taken by Dennis Unger. Didn't want to take up space showing it again, but the yellow No. 55 1964 Ford wasn't Tiny Lund. According to the finish order, it was Eddie Meyer. Sorry about that.

Now here's another from that collection. This is Bob Slensby getting slightly out of shape coming out of Turn 15, the final turn before the drag strip/main straightaway. The DA tower seen in this photo was relocated to outside the fourth turn of the oval in 1985, and is now known as the Binford Tower in honor of Tom Binford, and is used as a vip suite location...

[​IMG]

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another from the same race. Sal Tovella making a pit stop...

[​IMG]

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

And still another. Norm Nelson leads Fireball Roberts out of Turn 12, also known as the carousel...

[​IMG]

18. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

wow! cool stuff! Thanks for sharing everyone...

-W

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Bobby Allison's 1966 Chevelle. I'm not sure if this is the same car or not, but I think he got his first NASCAR win in a Chevelle at Islip on what they called the Northern Tour at that time...

[​IMG]

20. This car rocks. Which model Fairlane is this? it looks like a 57, but smaller. May just be the wheels and the bumper throwing me off, but I'm real curious. Hadn't seen one set up quite like this before. What engine / trans did they run it it?

Love the photo too.

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Lamarr Marshall, one of the better drivers at the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway. We lost this guy to cancer several years ago...

[​IMG]

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

No cars in this one, but I consider it stock car history because of who is in it besides myself. I used to do interviews on the track sometimes when I was flagging for ASA, and this time I'm talking to Jim Sauter. Other drivers in the photo, from left to right, are Mike Eddy, Bob Senneker, Butch Miller, Dick Trickle, and Alan Kulwicki.

[​IMG]

Driver50x likes this.
  23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Andy Hampton in a Dodge (14) and Ralph Latham in a Plymouth take the green flag at the start of an ARCA race at Salem in the 60s.

[​IMG]

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another postcard photo from the Fairgrounds Motor Speedway, this one of Andy Vertrees (now the GM at Iowa Speedway, I believe), and his crew after a Figure 8 win. Andy's the Burt Reynolds lookalike in the middle.

[​IMG]

25. Norcal folks...The Historic Grand National group will be racing this weekend at Sonoma's Infinion Raceway (Sears Point), there will be several other classes running...about 240 cars. Check out http://www.csrgracing.org and/or www.historicgrandnational.com if you are interested.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Pickle. Lots of neat photos. I really liked the Harry Hyde 40 Ford since he was a friend of mine. I copied some to use on my screensaver slideshow. Wish I could get there.

Here's a shot from ASA's only indoor race, at the Pontiac Silverdome...

[​IMG]

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Here's one of the more historic late models in the Kentuckiana area - Roy Wathen in the Newman family's 1958 Chevrolet at the Fairgrounds in Louisville...

[​IMG]

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Been looking all over for this photo. I knew I had a copy of it somewhere. It was the first ARCA race at Daytona in 1964, and the driver was Erik Darnell's grandfather, Bay Darnell.

[​IMG]

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

OK, you got me on this one, there has to be a great story that goes with this picture! You are going to share it with us....right? Gene