Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Newport Hill Climb aka Oil Smoke Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slowforty, Sep 30, 2008.

1. slowforty

slowforty

Check out the Newport Hill Climb aka Oil Smoke Nationals [thanks Greg32]
    On Oct 4 and 5

Prewar STOCK cars run up the hill in NewPort Indiana
    Orphan makes to 1954
    Something for everybody
    Hill climb
    Car show [usually 200 to 300 cars if the weather is nice]
    Big Flea Market [Some car stuff but the ladies can get lost for hours]
    Bubba's Repair Shop
    Food vendors
    Carnival rides
    Check out www.newporthillclimb.com

2. slowforty

slowforty

Prewar means before 1942 [World War II]
    Not Korea [1950]
    or Vietnam [1964]
    Maybe I should have said Prehistoric Newport Hill Climb
    aka Oil Smoke Nationals

Sometimes It hurts to be an F.O.G. [Friendly Older Gentleman]

3. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Gonna miss this one. Watch for some neat vintage bikes coming out. I think theyre the quickest up the hill. Cool event, one of the oldest races in the U.S. Wanna borrow my nose plugs?

4. I will be there one day or the other. haven't missed it in years.
    Also, don't forget the Victory Days thing going on down the road in Terre Haute at the airport. This is the first year for what's supposed to be a "living" museum to the war effort, both home and abroad. Recreations all weekend of, USO shows, stores, radio shows, military vehicles and aircraft and more. This is the first year....so I've not been, but it sounds pretty interesting. I've always been into WWII era history and machinery so this should be kinda neat. Here's a link for more info.

Memphis Belle B-17
    Lady Liberty A-26
    Wicked Wabbit and Hun Hunter P-47's
    Black Sparrow C-47
    Black Cat PBY Catalina Wildcat
    Cessna T-50 Mustang
    B-25 Mitchell
    TBM's
    Liaison Aircraft
    Trainers
    ...and too many others to list! Victory Days anticipates at least 40 Warbirds and period civilian aircraft.

Fixed the link, sorry-
    http://www.victorydays.org/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008

5. Terrific event that shouldn't be missed.

6. Most of the Indy crew will be there.

The teardrop campers will be there too.

We will be camping across the street from the church and old, now defunct, jail

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  7. slowforty

slowforty

Rerun
    Just a quick reminder about the Newport Hill Climb In Newport Indiana
    On Oct 4 and 5

8. lobuktruk

lobuktruk
    from Cayuga In.

I'll be there as usual. I live in Cayuga, the next town to the north. If anybody needs any local info let me know. For food at the Hillclimb I usually stick with the Cayuga Lions club for ribeye sandwich (on the bank parking lot by the antique engine display) or Kag's BBQ across from them, local family owned. And for ice cream, Wright's Ice Cream is the only way to go. It a small local (on hwy 63 between Newport and Cayuga) family owned co. There is a church that sells it in front of the Lions club building on the square.
    Oh, yeah and the cars are pretty cool too. haha.
    I've been going all of my life and now I get to take my kids so I know where the good food is and where the good swap meet vendors are.
    BTW, I haven't heard any mention of the midnight big wheel race. Is that still on this year? haha

9. BTW, I haven't heard any mention of the midnight big wheel race. Is that still on this year? haha[/QUOTE]

Don't know how many will participate this year. Might be GMC Bubba's call.

Last years race resulted in one of the girls' crashing into the ditch with a broken collarbone, and a broken leg,

RunAroundSue wound up with a twisted ankle and had to have knee surgery this past spring.

10. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

Where's the best place to park? Is the hill outside of town or within walking distance of the other events?

11. There is a large field to park in. It's all within walking distance. The hill is the main street thru the town.

12. Yeah, I know the big wheels haven't been touched since last year so I'm kinda doubting it this year.

Have to get them ready for next year with rubber tires all around. :rolleyes::D

13. lostinthe60s

lostinthe60s
    from Midwest

I will be there !!!! 3rd year for me.....Cool Old show, and town festival.....plenty of space to park/camp/and have some friends over to have a BBQ and beer....very laidback old town .....

14. lobuktruk

lobuktruk
    from Cayuga In.

<P>
    </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>Don't know how many will participate this year. Might be GMC Bubba's call.</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>Last years race resulted in one of the girls' crashing into the ditch with a broken collarbone, and a broken leg, </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>RunAroundSue wound up with a twisted ankle and had to have knee surgery this past spring.[/quote]</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>Yeah, I saw the crash, sorta (all I could see was a flashlight coming down the hill and the go off the road). I heard later about the injuries, sorry to hear about that. I was with some friends that grew up in Newport and they said when they were kids they would ride their bikes down the hill for thrills. I wonder how long it took them to stop. haha</P>

15. It would take a lot of alcohol to get me to go down that hill, at night, with no lights....

Geesh....

16. goat

goat

I am heading down there tomorrow evening. bringing the family, an r.v, and the 57. any suggestions on a good place to camp. I was planning on the big field. wouldn't mind hanging out with some fellow Hambers. let me know if you have any suggestions.
    GOAT. better known as DAVE

17. lobuktruk

lobuktruk
    from Cayuga In.

There is camping info on the hillclimb website. I was going to suggest camping in the field but it said that was for drivers only. Might try Conrad or someone on the contact page to verify camping in the field, maybe being a car show participant could get you in.

http://www.newporthillclimb.com/Camping.pdf

Jeff

18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

AND this year we have a HAMBER as the parade Grand Marshall!!!

ME !!!:eek::D:):eek:

Pretty cool , i am honored !! Dress code "new bibs".....wow.....we will be in the bars afterwards.....three bars , one town square...........

Stop by Bubbas for your free moon pie and bottled coke.....:eek::D

19. yngrodder

yngrodder

Russco,Plowboy and I will be there Sat,

20. We're bringing a crew over Saturday morning. :) Will be the maiden voyage for the Noodle roadster.

[​IMG]

21. slowforty

slowforty

22. slammed

slammed

lindross that ride be cool.

23. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

A buddy and I drove up yesterday from St. Louis to check out the event. Neither one of us realized how big this event was. I think half the state of Indiana was there. Had a good time and will plan on spending the whole weekend there next year. Here is a few pics of cars making their practice runs up the hill on saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Hot Rod Mama

Hot Rod Mama

We had a wonderful time at Newport! I went with Lindross and Noodle. We camped out, watched the cars, met some really cool people and (of course) found all three bars. Whew... what a weekend. All I know is that the shower I got when I finally arrived home was the best one I've ever had.

Bubba was a great Grand Marshall!

25. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Prewar actually covers up to the '48 model year as these were essentially carryovers.

26. Had a great time at Newport too. Man, what a lot of cars. I'll put some pix up later.
    Saturday, the Victory Days show was terrific. Lots of WWII vintage aircraft, cars, trucks, halftracks, etc. The coolest thing was all the people dressed in period correct attire. Americans, Japenese, Germans, Russians. These reinactors really get into it. Don't even get me started on all the planes.......

Later, Phil

27. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Hey Sloforty[Roger], how did the Hudson run? Did it get a trip up the hill? Did it make it home? Were you scared?

28. donrodin

donrodin

Newport was a BLAST!!! it was my first year running a car but i'm hooked now. it will be a "must go to" for me from now on. i have never been to a show that i was so welcomed by everyone, being young some guys dont think i know much but i met some really cool kats there and talked about banger speed stuff with some different people and it was just a happy go lucky event!!! i recommend it if ur into stock looking but not so stock cars haha

29. Here's a couple of pix I wanted to post. Does anybody on here know who's car this is? I loved the period detail, if it was a recently done car. If not, it was a great restoration of a previous custom. Wow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]