Register now to get rid of these ads!

"OUTKASTS" Car Show---Mitchell, SD photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCINK, Sep 28, 2008.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

On the OSR site....seriously

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

iam hearing alot of "i couldnt care less if its traditional" talk..well your on the WRONG MESSAGE BOARD! Its the HAMB not www.ratrodsteamingpileidontcareaboutshit.com. I wasnt talking about all cars at the show just what i saw here. Thats what i saw thats what i commented on.Daddyfink said it well,alot of theses Rat Rods are unsafe,and dangerous,visually distressing and just terrible...Look well done you built what you think is a hot rod,well done, but i dont have to like it,i have done enough research,been to enough shows,talked to enough people collected enough photos to understand that tradition is what bought me to this hobby, it what makes me stay,its what made me join the hamb,its what drives our builds,its what influences me.And i am going to defend it always.

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

4. LOL :D

I'm from a long line of Midwest farmers (I was born in Minnesota) ... so believe me, I'm really glad my father had the common sense to NOT use the grille shell from one of my grandfather's John Deere Model B tractors when he started building the coupe (circa 1954) ... though, I'm thinking even an 18 year old in Beach, North Dakota knew better than to put a tractor grille on a hot rod! :)

5. Very well said, Kirk.

6. My brother restores vintage Cats. He's gonna' get real pissed when I show him
    where this Cat Twenty Two radiator wound up. What an insult to a Caterpillar. :eek:

7. 32plymouthgirl, are you planning to paint that car? It has pretty good porportions, nice stance and is a cool, if unusual, mix of parts. Remove the emblem from the Binder grill, fix the rough spots and you will have a really cool hot rod.

Folks shouldn't wonder why we Old Farts hate rat rods. Most of us, who have been around a while, remember when the cops saw a ANY MODIFIED car as a "Kick Me" sign. These last few years we've been able get away with no front plate, no fenders and we're not getting pulled over to get our licience plates measured for height. We remember when Glasspacs were cause for a ticket. The negetive attention these kinds of mechanical assholes will bring will bring those bad parts of the good old days back. In spades.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

isn't this a fun thread?

i don't know which word is misused more ... "traditional" or "rat rod". cool cars in primer or rust /old paint are called rat rods, and cars with 12" channel, 12' frame kickup, and 12" chops are called traditional.

I say we all cruise on over to my Bay Bombs picture thread. everyone agreed that those were some cool assed cars even though not one of them was a "traditional Hot Rod or custom"

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

it is a fun thread,the bay bombs thread has some nice rides,the lowrider community is about old school tradition,not new school gimmicks,not one cob web,skull shifter,goofy air cleaner, or other miscellanous bullshit. They take pride in reviving the old pachuco traditions of the 30s and 40s,all the bombs i have seen have been well executed,and nicely finished.They have a huge amount of respect for what they do and how they roll.Its admirable and alot better than any rat rod farce.Tradition is not a miss used word, it describes what has gone before and how to keep it alive today.Rat rod is a made up term. When you use a term in car culture that has to use the word rat in it something is wrong.That there should tell you in its self what we are dealing with.

10. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

No I don't plan on painting it... at least not in the near future. I have always liked the "patina" look and the fact that it is easy to tell it is steel and not glass. I have thought about painting it, but will wait.

11. Sticks

Sticks

That's right MF, Outkasts refuse to walk the line set by society. Some of you boys like to walk the line that is layed out for you. And that show with some of the car you build if you build them..? As long as your happy with staying in line.. I guess that ok for some.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  12. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's great James Dean! Sounds like you're in the wrong place though.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

That's right MF, Outkasts refuse to walk the line set by society. Some of you boys like to walk the line that is layed out for you. And that show with some of the car you build if you build them..? As long as your happy with staying in line.. I guess that ok for some.

oooh.. jonnie bad ass has arrived. funny you would point your grammatically incorrect misspelled rant at a guy with a 32 with a 392 in it. if that's walkin the line, where does the line start?

14. Sticks

Sticks

I'm in the right place, sounds like you may be in the wrong place.

15. Naw, Kirk is in the right place, and the lack of fingerprints from blocksanding proves he works on his Starliner.

16. Sticks

Sticks

No rant from me just stating a fact? You boys do alot of name calling, whats up with that?

17. Thanks KIRK! & 49ratfink for "defending" me ... but it wasn't necessary ... I was gonna reply to him ... but figured it just wasn't worth it ... 'cuz he is correct ... I really am a "Mother F-in' Traditional Hot Rodder Elitist" :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I'm done posting in this thread ... I really can't believe that Ryan (or one of the moderators) has yet to shut it down!

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Huh? You're hilarious.

Yeah, you're right, I don't really know anything about traditional hot rods. I'm just a newbie to the "scene". HA HA HA!!!!

Did you see the sign on the door? I doesn't say anything about rat rods and build-whatever-the-hell-you-want-garbage-barges. It clearly states TRADITIONAL rods and customs.

With regard to rat rods and the attention they get... People stare at the retarded kid - it doesn't make me want to be retarded.

19. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Here, I'll help shut this one down:

REBEL RODZ is the BEST TRADITIONAL HOT ROD MAGAZINE EVER!!!

THEY'VE GOT THE HOTTEST RIDES BUILT IN THE MOST TRADITIONAL WAY.

REBEL RODZ ROCKS HARDER THAN THE HAMB!!!

There, that should do it.

Glad I could help.

dv

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

The one without fingerprints is Alex's nephew Dave. Mine are only partially gone from all of the taping.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Damn right!!!!

OSR Too...

[​IMG]

22. Bookz

Bookz

Very well put Kirk. Whether or not these cars are shit isn't what is relavent to me. The HAMB is for traditional Rods and Customs not Street Rods, not Retro Rods and not RAT RODS. If these are what spins your wheels please find a forum that is for like minded people and don't try and impose your taste on the members of this board who love traditional Rods.

23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

the line we walk in this hobby/lifestyle is a line set out over 65+years ago,its a line you too walk,with your car club and you so called hot rods,it just the line you walk is crooked.I am glad that you outkasts refuse to walk the line,its cool to be a rebel,but personally we both walk the same line i am just sick of stepping in the shit left behind by turds on wheels.Its not name calling Mr outkast its our right to defend our hobby from vermin rods

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Wait, you understand what I'm saying?! I was beginning to think that maybe I was typing in a different language. I feel like I keep saying the same thing over and over.

It's getting to be like swimming up Niagara Falls on here anymore.

25. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

You do realize this is the H.A.M.B, correct?And not killbillit or OSR or any one of those other no clue sites?

26. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

In the right place to give us all comic relief.

27. 32PlymouthGirl: Those of us who were not at the Outkast show can only comment on what we see in the photos. In no way was I passing judgment on allthe vehicles in attendance.
    sgtlathargic: Shame on you for feeling that it's only a metal car and it will rust away anyhow. There are metal artifacts hundreds of years old in museums around the world for our and future generations to study and learn from. 20th century american hot rods can last FOREVER if the current owners give them the respect they deserve.
    49ratfink: Check my post on your thread. I respect everything I see there. I believe we all know why traditional lowriders and bombs never seemed to find their way onto the pages of Hot Rod Magazine...and it wasn't because they weren't well built.
    If the builders of rust-o-rods want to believe their contraptions are traditional, there's nothing I can do to change their minds, except to beat the drum and preach the gospel. There were unsafe, poorly built hot rods back in the day...in my part of the country were referred to as shot-rods or klunkers. Owners were encouraged to bring them up to a higher standard. Those that did were accepted, those that didn't usually lost interest and found other hobbies.
    Lastly, I'd like to remind the founder & moderators of the basic purpose of this site. If the cars posted by folks from around the world don't fit the formula, hit the delete button.

28. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Guys and Gals,
    I'm not a fan of purposely building a car to look like crap slung together but I don't feel the need to force my opinion on everyone either. For those of you that are playing the "it doesn't follow traditional criteria" card, I just read "the Wishbone" article written by Ryan himself. Read the article. It's about a car Roth finished in 1970 and it's a definetely a clown car. Just let it go!!!

29. MCINK....thanks for sharing your pix.

30. While there has been some interesting exchanges of opinion here, things have gone sour on this thread. Gents, methinks we are being Trolled by these guys. There is probably a link to this on a board about rat rods and they are sniggering at the sticks in the mud who dig the real hot rods and customs.

Why are the rat rods so damn low?
    So, the Trolls can park them under bridges.