Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has the tide turned?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steves32, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Not to wave my own flag.
    Fuck that- I'm waiving my flag.:D
    Yesterday in Costa Mesa was the Cruise For a Cure car show. Advertised as the largest 1 day show w/ right at 3,000 cars. Brought out my black flamed Deuce hiboy roadster. There were friggin Deuces everywhere you looked. I mean hundreds of them. Lots of Billet big wheel big dollar rides. I mean LOTS! One that was advertised at having 400k in the build.:rolleyes: I'm coming back to my car w/ my club buddies & there's 2 golf carts in front of my car & 4 officials. I'm thinkin' Oh Fuck- they are going to make me move the car (I was 1/2 on a vender's space & he's been bitching all day to any official who would listen). Asked me some questions about the car & said don't go anywhere- they would be back. My roadster was being considered for an award.
    Considered? Yea- I've seen the group of 32's so I blew it off. We all left to look at cars & talk some shit & I go back to the car to pour me a fresh MaiTai (complete w/ pineapple wedge & cherry) & there's a single golf cart at my car. Guy asks me if this was my car- I say yes & he says congrats- you have been picked for an award. Don't leave early. Really? That's cool- I don't know what I won but cool anyway. I hang for the awards (lots of traditional builds are winning) and the obvious awards for consideration weren't me(paint, flames, work in progress;)) Then it's getting near the end. They call Best 32 roadster- must be me but no- it went to another black Deuce. What's left? Then the Best Deuce.
    Best Deuce? They call my name. Are you fucking kidding me? The best Deuce in the show?
    So did the best Deuce award go to a big billet wheel'd, Marcel built body'd, easter egg painted, blinged out ride?
    Nope. Went to a little ol black steel 32 roadster hiboy w/ Ricklefs flames, 15" Halibrands, black leather wrapped bench seat, 2" chop windshield, Moon tanked, SoCal suspended car owned by me.
    After the award- I couldn't believe how many came up to me to say it's about fuckin' time!
    Usually I could care less if I win (that's not why I'm there) but WTF! This is cause for celebration! Billet is dead & I have the fuckin' award to prove it!:D

I have lots of pics of HAMB friendly cars, I'll post later when I get some spare time.

2. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Well, dog gone... Congrats!!!

3. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That is so F'in cool! Good for you. Now where are the pics of you and your trophy, the car, the presentation babes?

Show the HAMB what you got!

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That's super,I like that!!!!:D:cool:

6. Steve, after seeing your roadster last Saturday at the Pasadena show, I say well deserved. Your car is a classic, traditional styled hot rod. Glad the judges at this show had some sense. Good for you, and good for the hobby. ( And good for us old farts!)

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

It's about time they started looking away from all the high dollar stuff. My 55 has brought 8 awards this year alone and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. It's still in progres, has the wrong front wheels for my taste, no headliner, and the body needs finished and real paint. No bumpers of any kind but for some reason people really like the damn thing like it is. I know the tunnelram gets their attention right away but 8 awards?? WTF. I'll take em anyway

8. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

I love a good story with happy ending.

9. 6tall

6tall

Woo-hoo !!!!!!!!!! I LOVE to read stuff like this. I'll look at a daily driver over a trailer queen any day. Congratulations on beating the "big boys". Especially congrats to the judges for seeing things the right way.

10. BBobb

BBobb

I tip my hat....that had to have been a great moment and feeling

11. Cool beans, Steve. The car deserves the recognition. Class is always in style...

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Congrats...the car has style and attitude. Makes sense to me.

13. seret

seret

Killer,Congrats. how about some pics. of your car

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I don't usually take pics of my own car at a show. Didn't take even one yesterday!
    Best pics of the car are on So-Cal's web site here.
    Go down towards bottom of page & click on my car.
    http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/home.html

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'll start a separate thread on the show pics.

17. riverrat

riverrat

how many dollars did you spend building your car.
    riverrat

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Dean- that means the world to me coming from you!!!!
    Much thanks!!

It's our time now, so I'm dusting off the gold chains & going billet hunting!!

19. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

A whole lot less than those billet guys.;)

20. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Congrats Steve. I've told you before how much I like you're '32. Super lookin' ride!!:) I'd be happy if I were you!!:D Hey, I'm happy and I'm only me!!:D:D

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Happy? You have no idea!
    I was kinda feeling guilty I felt so good about winning a $5.00 plaque but it's more about what it means to all of us.
    FINALLY- they do get it!

This award wasn't just about me. It's a feather in the hat of every HAMBer here!

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Congrats.. I remember the first award i got with my 32 coupe.. I had a lot of money in the car and it was nice but not overdone... I just about shit when i got the big award and a 38 inch tall trophy :).... My brother told me when i came from the swap meet that the officials were looking for me and to go up to the white tent. First he said they wanted my car moved and i said fuck em. I wasnt power parked or nuttin.. He finally had to tell me the truth !
    Nice car... again congrats
    Dave

24. flag wavers the new flat black.. :)

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

NICE! Well done man!

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well deserved Steve !

27. Actually, I don't think flag waving has shit to do with it. Both Steve's car and mine won sponsor picks at the Street Rods Forever show in Pasadena last week. Neither one of us did any flag waving. Like Steve, I was not about the plaque, and the SRE club gave beautiful ones of cast pewter, it was about having your traditional style DRIVER picked over billet trailer queens. My roadster proudly displays it's HAMB tag, and I was damned proud to win one for the team.

As a side note, against the wishes of some of the SRE members, they offered a "Best Rat Rod" award. Guess what? There was not one car with a road scraping rusted out pick up cab, straight piped two barrel engine, or skulls to give the award to. :eek: They chose a really nice 40 pick up that happened to be in flattened black paint. That one made this old fart smile too. :):)

And FYI, Other than paint and upolstery, my RPU was built in my garage. And I do not now, nor have ever owned a gold chain. The extent of my jewelery is a $29 Timex.

28. chopdtop

chopdtop

Me too. Oh wait.... I thought we were talking about massage parlors and happy endings. :D Nevermind.

Seriously though,Congrats!

29. A-Wall

A-Wall

thats is awesome! Congrats!

30. Congrats on the award,,,a little ironic that a company that makes glass bodys awards the best steel Deuce!:D HRP