Register now to get rid of these ads!

My experience with Smithy muffers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Busted Knuckles, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

These things rule! I finally got my Smithys hooked up and man to they sound sweet on my truck. 351W 2bbl heads and intake with a 500 cfm Holley 2bbl The flow direction is turned around from what is indicated , running 2 inch front to rear, 22 inch long Smithys placed about 3 feet back from the headers. The sound is ohh so nice , motorboat burble at slow and cruising speeds , rappy/raspy when you get on it, and a really cool rap and pop on deceleration. I have to give a thumbs up on these mufflers for sure.

2. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

Thats cool. I really want a set on my caddy once I get it going. I've been curious about how they sound. Don't want them to sound like regular cherry bombs.

3. diego64

diego64
    from oceanside

I just bought a set for my 51 buick that I will install in the next month or so. What is the difference in sound from running them standard vs. reverse flow?

4. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

i have set on my 53 ford flathead V8. THAT SOUND TAKES YOU BACK IN TIME !!!! I LOVE EM. cadillac dave

5. Muttley

Muttley

I had a set on my old '39 Coupe W/283. I was pretty disappointed, you couldnt even hear it running.

6. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Reversing the flow will change the sound as the louvers are facing the oposite way. Has something to do with the travel of the sound waves. Also said to increase back pressure. I did a lot of reading in the search before choosing these and how they were gonna be placed

7. Have had them on my '31 ford, nailhead powered, for about a month, and just have to say they are great. Not offensively loud, but the 50's sound is there. Haven't tried reversing them, because I just love them the way they are.

8. I got em on my 66 fairlane, running 351w. My fiance bought them for me, first time I told him I loved him. Its cause they sounded so good!

9. LoSoto

LoSoto

Has anyone tried one on a six? Got a Flathead Kew in my DeSoto and at the moment it is soooooo quiet!

10. The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf
    from Malta

But won't reversing them create a lotta back pressure in the exhaust system,increasing pumping losses and wasting hp?

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Possibly , but I dont care as they sound perfect! On my set up it actually seems to be better than the turbo mufflers that were on there as far as performance, so I dont lnow the full answer there.

12. I've got a set on my '38 Ford pickup with 307 Chevy power and 2" pipes. Love the sound!

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I had them on my A ..... same here.:(

14. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I've got 'em on my '52 chevy 216 - the first thing I did after purchasing the car. There's nothing like that sound!!

15. I have the NEW 2 1/2" Smithy's (they used to only offer 2") on my very healthy 302 in the 32 Coupe. People are always complimenting the sound and asking what they are.
    Running them back wards will increase system back pressure a bit and make them quieter. Mild motors won't notice the difference power wise, High HP motors will.
    JMHO

16. Surprised at that, I've always noticed a very nice rumble. Some say my 32 is a bit on the loud side ?!?!?!?

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Everybody's opinion will be different. They certainly have the brand name and folk lore behind that. Personally I believe no one could pick out a Smitty in a blind sound test among generic glasspacks. People will swear that there is a difference and that's fine.

Mine were too quiet for me but I never put enough miles on them to burn them out like we did in the 50s. I took the 22"ers off and replaced them with 12" generic glasspacks and it was better. That was on a stock 255" Merc. Cam shafts make a big difference in sounds.

Your results may vary.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Got em on the '57 Buick, had them on the Henry J, will put them on both the 38 Buick and the International. I like them.

19. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Oh,man,are YOU in for a treat! Ain't nothing sounds sweeter than a flat 6 with split exhaust manifolds and duals with Smitty's.

If you don't know anybody locally to do it for you,PM me and I will put you in contact with a guy here in the US that sells split manifolds and even modifies intakes to take dual carbs.

20. for the people w low performance and quiet engines, find the glass pack with punched holes in the core, proabbly chery bomb or walker they are loud

for the louvered tube glasspacks I usually run the exhaust into the louveres if a real young kid is getting the system

we used to burn out the walker continentals [ the old gold ones with square ends] with oil years ago on the split set ups

of course that was the begining of my police record :eek:and fines:cool:

21. Smithy's, not Smitty's!!!

I love the sound! Had them on a '57 GMC pickup with a 326 Pontiac engine - so cool!

22. FEDER

FEDER

[QUOTE=tommy;3161091 Personally I believe no one could pick out a Smitty in a blind sound test among generic glasspacks. People will swear that there is a difference and that's fine.

I just put a new 2 1/2' system on My shoebox. 36' long glass packs that are no name from a local distributer. Inside they have small triangular louvers. I installed them with the openings facing to the rear. The mufflers are as far back as can be before the rearend with tailpipes out to the bumper. I HATE EM - they are way too loud. At aroud 40 mph it sounds like a B 17 inside. If I turn them around will they quiet down? Im thinkin about getting smithys had on My Merc and loved em. FEDER

23. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Feder, I think youd be better off moving them as far forward as possible,, this will change the sound waves .

24. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Is it a stock 283? I'm curious, because I have a 283 in my '30 A and have 4 mufflers (2 brockman steelpacks and 2 more off-brand tubular mufflers after cutouts) and you can still hear me a block away! It's loud.

I'm wondering if Smithy's are that much quieter or your engine is very stock?

25. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

put them on my 289 and was running it yesterday,my father stopped by and said "that sounds so sweet, takes me right back to high school". I love the sound, thumbs up on smithys....see ya Brian

26. Jimv

Jimv

I thought Smittys where "flow thrus" So reversing them won't in crease back pressure? It allows the exhaust to flow over the lowers better instaed of scooping it!
    jimV

27. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I had them on my 401" powered '55 Special for years and loved them. I had to put on a pair of Cherry Bombs after hanging the exhaust up on an alignment rack at work-hated those-just not the 'Right' sound at all. They belong on Chevelles, 442s, Mustangs, 'Cudas, etc...
    I put a set on the wifes 327" powered '54 Chevy, they sound perfect.

I didn't know that Smithy's are now available in 2 1/2". I guess that is as good of a reason as I need to replace the 'header mufflers' i have on there now.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, the motor was box stock, I sold the car last Summer.

29. timmy t

timmy t

Have a set on my flathead powered T modified, the muffler takes up most of the exhust system and there still not that loud. my dad has em on his smallblock powered 40 sedan and they sound so sweet. Im building a 32 sedan that will run a smallblock an smittys. Im sold you cant beat the sound.

30. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Are there different "models" or whatever of Smithys?

If I was going by the responses on this page id never buy a set, sounds wayyy to hit or miss if they are gonna sound good or not :)