Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seabeecmc, Sep 25, 2008.

1. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the right side of my 1957 Cadillac engine low and to the rear of the block there is a fitting and a steel line that runs to the top rear of the engine. Please advise as to it's function. Regards, Ron

2. Exactly where on the "top rear" of the engine does this line run to? Cylinder head, back of block, intake manifold?

3. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Vacuum line from trans to intake?????

Kind of hard to tell you what it actually is with your description.
    Post some pics and we will let you know.

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

it's probably for the oil filter.

5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Low and to the rear of block is not the intake manifold. The oil filter lines attach to the front area of the block. The steel line terminates exactly at the top of the rear of the engine. Please no more guessing. Appreciate a knowledgeable answer. Regards, Ron

6. "No more guessing"? Well, guess I won't be able to assist then...

I just happen to have a Cad in my roadster, so I'm somewhat familiar with them. Some Cads had a vacuum boost pump on the bottom of the oil pump that was plumbed to a fitting and line "low and to the rear of the block" . But I didn't say that as it would just be a guess...

Jeeez:(

7. fraktv

fraktv

A picture is worth a thousand words. OK here is my guess...the line coming off the exhaust manifold to control the carburator choke.

8. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Guessing games are my favorite... Post A pic, cause your description sucks!!!!

9. Pompadork

Pompadork

get a shop manual?

10. Yup, what warbird said. It was to assist the vacuum wipers. Buicks and others used a double action fuel pump for vacuum assist but Caddy wanted something more complex and harder to work on :rolleyes:

I belive it was only used from '56-'58...but don't hold me to it.

11. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Warbird said what I was gonna say. if you ever pull the pan you,ll see it
    they fail due to the casing wearing on the vacuum drive...

12. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

"Please no more guessing. Appreciate a knowledgeable answer."

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->haha.. dude wtf ?? You post a crappy description of a line that could be one of a few things, no picture, no other info and expect someone to tell you exactly what it is ?? OK.. how about this.. theres a bolt on the right side of my motor, low that screws in to the block. Please dont guess I want a knowledgeable answer.
    Thanks.,,

13. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, thanks, I knew it wouldn't be a difficult question or description for someone versed in this vintage Cadillac. As you are Cadillac knowledgeable, please advise, can I replace the oil pump with attached vacuum pump with an earlier or later oil pump without the extraneous vacuum pump? Regards, Ron

14. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

I disconnected the vacuum part of my oil pump in my 57 engine, with no problems down the road. You can use your oil pump without it hooked up.

And while you have it out, SBC high pressure oil pump springs interchange with the later (56-62?) Cad oil pumps.

-Torr

15. I'm not Cadillac knowledgeable really, you just caught me at the right time. My dad has a '58 Caddy and he just so happened to have his oil pump/vacuum pump torn all apart on the shop table less than a week ago. The motor was rebuilt and after running for a few hours a squeal developed, sounded like a dry bearing. Checked the bearings and they looked perfect, tore the oil pump/vacuum pump apart and the bottom of the vacuum pump was scarred up like it had been dragging. Since he has converted to electric wipers he decided to get rid of the vacuum pump portion.

From what I remember of it there's a plate between the oil pump and vacuum pump, there was a hole/opening in it that he welded shut and left the vacuum pump off (it's still on the table acutally).

If you want me to ask him exactly what was done and how it all works let me know, he spent the better part of a day studying the manual and pump diagram.

16. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Mod I have often considered, but didn,t have the required nerve

17. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As '58 was the last year of vacuum wipers for Cadillac was the oil pump sans vacuum pump in '59? Is it a direct replacement for the earlier oil pump? Appreciate the information. Regards, Ron

18. I asked my dad yesterday about the pump, he confirmed that there's a steel plate between the oil pump and vacuum pump. He welded up the few small openings in the steel plate and left the vacuum pump off, it's working just fine.

As far as the pump interchange, I'm not sure but somebody with a GM parts interchange book should be able to tell you quite easily. In '59 they did change to the 390ci. So obviously the bore/stroke are different. As far as the rest of the motor internals, I'm not 100% sure.