Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on 1932-1934 Ford coupe seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Sep 24, 2008.

1. OK,
    so I want a stock bench seat for my 33 5 window. A guy here in town has a 32 three window seat for sale, but I really don't know if it will work or not. What is the difference, and will anything interchange 32-34, three and five window? I am not going for a 100 point restoration, so if it is not exact, no big deal, I just don't want it too look stupid or out of place :D

Also, what is a fair price for the 32 3W seat? It is just the metal framework, not springs. I think you can get the spirngs new.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The seats are different ... 3W VS 5W and then the 33/34 seats are different from the 32's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The upper wood on the first photo was redone in one piece ... Ford originally had theirs like this ...

[​IMG]

I would think that a 33/34 5W seat would be a lot easier to find ( and less expensive that the 32 3W seat ). I would buy the 32 3W seat and flip it for a profit :) I have a few friends with the 33/34 coupes and they are using 2nd or 3rd row seats from a Mini-Van. Nice, fresh and easy to find.

This is supposed to be a 32 3W seat bottom ... it is on that famous auction site we all have a love/hate relationship with.

[​IMG]

It is at $300 now with time left ... If you can get the 32 3W seat for the cheap ... I would do it. Hopefully the seat tracks are with it because they are very, very difficult to find.

3. I really don't wanna use a mini van seat, I really want the real mccoy. As for tracks, I am chopping this car-a lot. So I figured the seat will be on the floor and not adjustable. That way my 6'4" ass can fit in it :D

Thanks for the info, what I guess I'm really asking is if they will actually interchange and work, even though they may be slightly different.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... it would work ... but I would try to have seat adjusters ... I could not ever come up with a set for my seat so I now have a set of universal heavy equipment seat tracks. They are very shallow ... and the seat sits almost on the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The really cool thing is that the universal tracks have a LOT more travel that the original Deuce ones ... and work and slide really easy. See how close to the floor the seat frame is in the first photo ? ? :D

5. SWEET! Dumb question...were do you get universal seat adjusters???

Thanks Deuce roadster :D

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i need a 32 seat! ;)

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I got mine off eBay :)
    But most Big Truck parts places have them. So do most Motor Home parts places. Most small cars with a bench seat also have a very shallow set of seat tracks ... that could be easily adapted.

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I found the seat frame for my '32 5 window at the Monroe swap meet. The guy said it was a '33-'34 but it sure looked like a '32 to me and it was cheap, I mean $75 cheap. I don't know whether they are different, '32 to '33, but what I have is definitely correct for a '32.

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

whats the differences between a 33-34 --- 3 & 5 window seat?

i have my 34 3 window seat still riding around in back of my suburban. :eek:
    its done heres a pic.

Attached Files:

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Speedway or i have a set from speedway i decided not to use.
    Dave

11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I used a pair of seat runners from a Austin Healey they are about 1 1/2" high and have ball bearings for rollers. Very smooth:)

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

There are few folks here on the HAMB that has made their own " original looking seat "

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And put seat sliders on it. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and over weight so I needed all the foot room I could get. I removed the package tray in my 3W ... and then set the seat as far back as I could.

[​IMG]

My wife is 5 foot 8 inches tall ... and the steering wheel is a original 40 Ford ... ( since changed to a smaller diameter wheel ) ... there is plenty of room now with the seat all the way back :) In the above photo ... the seat is moved forward a little and her feet are still at 3 - 4 inches from being all straightened out.

13. Nice job DR! What did you use for springs??

14. Richard Head

Richard Head

If you are going to chop the car, I would definitely start from scratch and build a seat from plywood that has the authentic look. Those original coupe seats sit pretty high in a stock height car and the the old coil spring cushions feel comfortable at first, but kill your back after a long trip. Making cushions from polyfoam or zig zag springs and polyfoam would give you better support while getting the top of the cushion where you need it.

Dave

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My seat frame is original 32 3W ... but I am using seat foam instead of the original springs. The foam can be smaller and better shaped than the old original saggy springs. Hamber Myke has some great shots of the built seat in his 32 3W ... and it is a little shorter in the rear back support because he chopped his 3W. I had seen the photos and his turned out great ( just like everything on his coupe :D ).

Maybe he will post his photos here :)

16. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Chris, if you can't use it I could use an original 3w seat as mine is of unknown origin.

17. myke

myke
    from SoCal

here is the seat I made from deuce roadsters patterns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. If you build your own seat frame the center ratchet adjuster, seat frame metal sides are available from www.macsautoparts.com

19. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

how wide is 33-34 seat at the top? and is there a difference between a 5w and a 4 door seat?

Tin Lizzie likes this.
  20. A 5W seat has a wooden back and sides with a steel bottom, a fordor seat is all metal

21. I've had both. The 4-door has a rounded back, is upholstered on the back, etc.. A coupe seat has a straight back and there is no upholstery on the back.

When I first got my 34 five-window I used a 4-door seat . . . It works just fine, but you'd need to modify the stock 'package tray' (which is just wood anyway) for it to fit.

Both seats use the same bottom tracks - even the same bolt holes. I'm of the opinion that if you can find EITHER seat, go for it . . . will work out just fine.

Another option is to build your own - to match the 5-window style and maybe use different materials from the old springs . . . to make it a bunch more comfortable (especially if your coupe is chopped).

Hope this helps.

Dale

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I was given seat a while back..Its an all metal frame rounded back(or scalloped if you will) it has a cloth grab handle or pull strap and a v8 medallion in the middle top back.. Is this a 34 sedan seat or could it be 35-36??

23. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

I am still courous how wide the top of a 34 seat is. I have a seat I can buy, but not sure if it is a 34 or 35. It is about 50 3/4 at the top.

24. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Are there any plans or drawings for making a 34/5w seat out there anywhere ?

25. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Are the patterns for the wood sides and back on a 32 5W seat still available?

26. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

You could make patterns from mine. Call me.

27. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Thank You Sir Dug, I need to speak with you anyway. I'll give you a call.

28. concreteman

concreteman

looking for a seat or build plans for a 34 -5 widow seat
    Thanks

29. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

These plans were a big help, Thanks

30. Grlz2grlz

Grlz2grlz

I was wondering if anyone had patterns for a 32 5 Window Coupe?

Thanks!