Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage BILLETPROOF PICS !! hot off the presses...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Sep 20, 2008.

1. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

Great pics Mike, good to talk to you also, I had the family with me and my older son(8yrs) had a blast... the burnout contest was his favorite part of the day.
    Brian.

2. Thats the worst part about working it!!! I have to look at the pics on sunday to see all the cars. Thanks for all the nice ones

3. Burnout contest? Don't tell me you let your boys near the drunk idiots with to much horsepower!!!!!

4. Turbo442

Turbo442

It would have been easy as it was parked between larger vehicles. I walked right by and caught it on a double take. Glad I did.
    Did you see this one?

Attached Files:

5. Choptop

Choptop

and it wont never happen again

That was the most ill concieved thing I have ever seen.

in fact, to prevent it from happening next year there will be CHP motorpatrol officers on site. Anyone caught doing a burn out in a crowded fairgrounds will be cited, have their car impounded, given a field sobriety and breathalizer test.

have several officers on standby all day long is not cheap. Its a shame that the actions of some idiots cost others hard earned cash.

I had been in talks with the fairgrounds to set up an area to do an offical strictly controlled burn out contest next year, but that is now in jeopardy because of the mis-guided actions of a few.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  6. Chopperman

Chopperman

You can't control / please everyone / everything. But that shiat was crazy. People doing launches with kids around..

Like I said, it comes with the crowds... Even at Masss, I saw some asshat throw a beer bottle in the air and it landed next to a KID and scared the shit out of him. CRAZY.

The CHP's presence at mass WERE known.

Maybe I'm just getting old and recognize crazy / stupid shit because I have youguns now.

7. Choptop

Choptop

yer not getting old, yer getting smart and realizing that everyone is mortal.

8. Turbo442

Turbo442

I didn't understand that either. I wondered who was dumber, the guys lighting them up in a section of road crowded that you wouldn't do 20mph down or the people lining up with their kids to watch it. Then again the big mouth who was encouraging it and threatening to sock the drivers in the eye if they didn't was pretty dim as well.

I think if it is known that this behavior is not welcome it could be self policed by people at the show.

9. Choptop

Choptop

too late.

the fairgrounds knows what happened... there were several workers on site that witessed it... and the police pressence is a requirement to Billetproof returning.

10. Nice all it takes is one asshole to fuck it up for everybody!!!!

11. Turbo442

Turbo442

Gotcha. Sorry about the ones who have to mess it up.

12. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Yep, happens at every show and like they say. it only takes one to ruin it for the rest. We'll also be a lot stricker at Mass next year.

Great show Alan, almost too many cars to see in one day. Was walking around all day saying "did we go over there yet?" Didn't take any pictures this year, just enjoyed walking around and looking at all the cool cars.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where were they doing burnouts? what a bunch of idiots

14. FalconGirlTN

FalconGirlTN

Super awesome pics! Love the shoebox!

15. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

thats the hard part about taking kids to car shows and concerts, your always so paranoid about what everyone else is doing. i found that you have to go early and leave early before the beer kicks in to the croud and all the jerks come out. but the show was cool while i was there all the people were way cool, everyone had a good time.

16. The Blurr

The Blurr

WTF!!!! This SHIT PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!! Some loud mouth MOther FUcker yelling he is going to sock someone in the eye!?!?! If they do not do a burnout!?!?! I would have told the guy you better make that first punch count and hope to GOD I do not get out of my car. In my opinion all who was present and did not stand up to this guy are fucking GAY! All those rockafags are sooo tough until another rockafag is more of an ass then they are and they cower in a corner peeing themselfs. This kind of BULLSHIT MACHO FAG HOMOEROTICA is just a perfect excuse to shut shows down. ( JUST LIKE PASO) :mad::mad::mad:

17. greendream

greendream

Thanks a bunch for the pics! Maybe one day I will make it to Billetproof.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[​IMG] ....yes I saw this one. got a picture of it too. I posted 90-something pics out of 350 or so I took.

19. 48fordcoe

48fordcoe
    from In

did this car drive from Fl. for this show
    [​IMG]

20. Choptop

Choptop

Nope, pretty sure thats a local Cali car. Its been to Billetproof before and I see it at many of the other shows here. I've yet to talk to the owner though. Its frigging beautiful.

21. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

At first glance, I thought it was DV8's car from here in Florida.:) Here's a pic of Jon's coupe. Mike

Attached Files:

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great photos , and an interesting end , thanks for sharing the pics

23. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

I happen to be waiting on the walkway/road behind the food concessions waiting for the kids who were in line when I seen the bucket of water go down...and the burn outs start. I just shook my head and thought what a way for someone who doesn't know any better to ruin it for all. Meaning the repercussions. It's not your name on that contract and holds responsibility. I watched as fools were lining up IN FRONT of the where the burn outs were taking place as if someone couldn't lose control and hit them. Idiots. Once the kids came with food we moved on.

Putting a show on...You are NEVER going to please everyone but the fact that you are on this forum is something positive to be said. You are taking things into concideration and rolling with it. That's not something you see with the bigger of shows or much else if you have a complaint in general. Bravo.

Everyone is going to have feedback and it's something to learn from. Weed out the chronic complainers and bring the important issues front and center. It takes having to use your judgement to sometimes make exceptions or what not for the well being of others or just to benefit your show.

I know that my father really wanted to be a part of this Billetproof show and had a De Rosa trophy/plaque made to give out to BEST CUSTOM. He honestly just couldn't justify paying for a booth when all he had were some posters to sell. He refused to pump the price up to make it worth it. That isn't what he's about. He would have rather set up his card table under a shady tree and enjoyed the day with the grandkids, friends and peers doing something he loves....interacting with people and being a part of history & the enthusiasts of the Hot & Custom culture. No matter what your perceptions of what the show should/could have been; painted/unpainted/finished/unfinished....didn't you all start out with the same feeling in your heart? A love for cars~art~to make it your own?

No ill feelings for it because it is what it is...You have to make your money. Understandable. He did enjoy watching all the cars drive into the show in the early morning from sitting in his car outside the gates. I went back like last year with my family and in-laws and had a GREAT time!

But....my take...personally.....I would have loved to see my dad there. I know since his scooter burned...his knees are bone on bone and he can't do alot of walking but would have sat under a shady tree and had a great day. You would have seen him mingle and talk with anyone who came up. That is what he's about. He would have told stories and shared his knowledge. He remembers how it all began loves to see shows like this SUCCEED. He's 81 years old and works 5 days a week at his Body & Fender Shop as hard as anyone my age. I see it as he's on borrowed time having painted over 5,000 cars in his lifetime....I take advantage of my time with him because I know it's limited. He is in 7 Custom Hall of Fames. He's down to earth and wants to encourage the young to keep this ALIVE.

Without trying to be a smart ass.....My point being simple: As I walked around the show having a great time and mingling with many.....I sure as hell didn't see ANY of his fellow Hall of Fame Customizer Alumni who are local at the show supporting the Billetproof Show like my dad offered to do.

24. Choptop

Choptop

I spoke with your father and enjoyed to talk with him.

Unfortunately the Best Custom trophy was already spoken for and he didnt want to make a trophy for any of the categories that were still available. No problem, no hard feelings. I offered to him that if he would like to keep the trophy for next year he could have the Best Custom category. I dont recall his answer, but I dont recall him jumping at the chance. If he's interested, let me know.

Vendor spot prices for Billetproof are lower than many of the other major shows. $125 for a 10x10. Thats not out of line by any means. I explained to your father that all of vendors at Billetproof always report doing good business and come back year after year. I offered him reference phone #'s if he wanted to check. He didnt feel he would sell $125 worth of merchandise so it wasnt a good business decission for him. Thats fine. No hard feelings from my side, and there shouldnt be any coming from you or your dad towards me.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Personally, I don't really pay attention to Halls Of Fame (I'm sure George Barris is in plenty of them and I'm no fan of his work. Sam Barris...now that's another story), but there are plenty of people in the who's who category who frequent Billetproof.

A very few on my "A" list are:

-Art Himsl
    -Mickey Himsl
    -Cole Foster
    -Vern Tardell
    -John D'Agostino
    -Rich Guasco
    -Marcos Garcia
    -The Westburys
    -Darryl Hollenbeck
    -and more

I appreciate your father's contributions over the many decades and know Billetproof would be flattered with his involvement and presence, but maybe lighten up a little. Pressuring people into acknowledgement and praise isn't really the best tact.

Billetproof definitely has respect for hot rodding's history. In fact, it's a result of it. But, it has never been dependent upon, nor sought out the approval of, nor attachment to, specific "celebrities." This is because it has always been a celebration of the individual and his/her accomplishments. The fact that many famous faces in the hot rod world have graced the show over the years is simply wonderful icing on the cake.

Please don't take this as negative or any sort of jab.

26. Choptop

Choptop

all he had to do was come to the show.

27. tommy v

tommy v

so why didn't your dad come a sit under a shady tree, i would of loved to hear some stories

28. Deadender60

Deadender60

I want to add Rod Powell to your list... and I'm sure there's more..

-Juan

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, Rod's another one.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

BTW...you guys had some sick stuff in the booth this weekend!