Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage BilletProof pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1badnov, Sep 20, 2008.

1. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

Enjoying all the pics. Especially liked your shot of the fins of all the Caddy's. Reminds me of Chip Lords post card way back when.

As for the show.....I have to say that thoroughly enjoyed myself and am glad to see that it's grown and someones making some money. I was relieved not to have had the long line to enter the show like last year. I thought $10 bucks was way reasonable and I brought my 3 kids in free. It's still small enough that they allow you to bring your own wagon etc. in.
    I do have to say that the Fairgrounds should have staff maintaining the restrooms during the day because it was just gross in the womens restrooms and not re-stocked but we managed. Something to suggest for next year no big deal.
    Sure there were way more people this year but isn't that what it's all about?! We are supposed to want our car culture to grow and more people to want to attend, prosper, come together peacefully and have a kick ass time! This is what the old Paso shows and others started out as...bring the family, a bbq and ice chest and have fun! That is how I grew up going to the shows with my Dad, Mom and Brother & Zocchi & his family when we'd caravan our cars and spend the day out on a lawn somewhere and all share our food/drink/laughs with family & friends!
    My dad and I sat in front of the fairgrounds early am watching the cars enter the show and he LOVED the cars. He thought the quality was fantastic! He is still raving about that 61 Caddy....He honked at that one. He just couldn't walk that size of a show since his scooter burned up in Pomona so he opted to go to the Historical Museum yesterday but sat in front of show for a good 1 1/2 hours watching the cars and enjoying seeing how much the Hot Rod / Customizing Culture has grown.
    Once in the show...The 50 Chevy Fleetline that De Rosa's did years ago is currently being finished and that was very cool to see! Can't wait to see how that comes along. Enjoyed talking to Penny with West Coast Customs. It's always a pleasure to see her and spend time with her. She's a great woman and has brought many great things : Paso/Santa Maria. HELLO. We should thank people like her and Billet who are willing to stick their necks out and put a show on with all the insurance and money and bullshit it takes these days.....

It rocked!

Gina De Rosa

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

We Love Billetproof !
    Grab a plane ticket and come to Florida in March and hang out with us !

3. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

well said Gina

4. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

Thanks for the words about the SWANX.

Rick

5. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Let me say this again. I think it was better when Kirk had the show. Not Kirk & Jay!
    Maybe you should go back & read it again.

6. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Couldn't make it this year even though i was in Sac on business, but I'll be happy to pay whatever it costs to bring one of my cars next year. :D

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually it was just Jay and I. At the time I was in the Poor Boys and Jay was in the Lucky Devils. The Vultures (as a club) weren't involved for a few years, because they didn't exist until Jay, Jason, Nick and I started the club.

8. cool pix...no way I am missing it next year

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If I was out there I would of happily paid $10 to go. And $3 to park..... I would've spent all day trying to find the Snugglers.

10. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

me and the Strangers would like to thank Alan and the Swanks for throwing a great show.

It is a ton of work and the day went by way too quick.

Dirty Penny ROCKS. yes i said it.

11. Choptop

Choptop

no it is not.

As a matter of fact the discussions between KIRK! and I when I bought Billetproof were centered around how it WASNT going to change. The only exception was that I was to work Billetproof full time so that I could dedicate the time and effort to it that it deserved.

Billetproof is a business, and the idea of any business is to create a profit. Here is a secret, Billetproof has been a business for a long time. The idea that I'm trying to change Billetproof so that it becomes a big dollar operation is silly. The ENTIRE Billetproof empire is me... and my wife in her "spare" time. She has a full time job, and puts in 10-15 hours a week on Billetproof doing the books and going to Accounting Classes to make sure she is doing it right. I work full time running the 4 shows and quit a very good paying job to do so. I am paid for my time working on Billetproof, just like anyone else with a job.

Do I hope Billetproof becomes a big dollar operation? Sure. Who doesnt want to make money? But I am not CHANGING Billetproof to see that happen. I have added shows in different parts of the country, something KIRK! started and I've continued. I have more time to dedicate to the process working for the show full time than KIRK! did in his spare time.

Valid citisism of Billetproof is fine, I welcome it. But on the flipside, I will set the record straight when something absolutely untrue is said.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  12. brewsir

brewsir

+1 I was wishing they had a couple more sets...and a louder mike for the lead singer....and a good buzz on!

13. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

Wow! Some great pics.

I know I'm nuts, but I thought the double decker bus was a cool idea for a food vendor.

I thought it ironic that the restroom lines were in the men's restrooms, usually its the women's. Porta potties, and fairgrounds people making sure the restrooms are continually stocked with toilet paper, ass gaskets, etc. would be fantastic.

Personally, I thought the show was a blast. The amount of old steel all in one place is overwhelming, and a lovely sight. Good to see some people I haven't seen in a while. The weather was freaking beautiful! Heck, I think this is the first time in a few years I saw more than just a glimpse of the car show itself... usually being so involved in the panel jam I forgot to go look at the cars. This year, got out, probably saw at least a majority of the cars out there, enjoyed listening to the RevTones, took pictures, was part of the judging for one of the awards. I always have fun at this show, this year's was no exception.

Billetproof NorCal has become a juggernaut of a hot rod show, and that's not a bad thing. It proves there are people, a LOT of people, who still appreciate the cars that didn't cost tens of thousands to have built, is more 'accessible' in that you can get up close with the cars rather than them being behind ropes, and for the most part people are usually respectful and keep their mitts to themselves. I love the smaller shows too, but its really cool to see that something like this has gotten to the size and prominence that it has.

Thanks, Alan, Melissa, Swanx! Y'all busted your butts, and pulled off another great show.

14. Shoprag

Shoprag

There was a time when, I use to think, that if a show got more expensive for us it was a bad thing. After hangin with zombie and seeing how much actually goes out and knowing that you prolly can't go to the bathroom for a couple of weeks before the show, hopeing that the crowd will show, to compensate the monies you have already spent, just for that stress alone you should earn some kinda income. This makes me feel bad that I talked a little crap on bo huffs 66 and it was free. I think I'll go delete that post. We all want to make money doing what we love.

ps. the funniest thing I ever watched was the beer bungie, our booth was next to franco's and the bungie was on the hill in front of us. We laughed all day!!! Wish we woulda went this year.

15. concreteman

concreteman

Great Show Fuckem ,hope you make a ton of money and have fun doing it ,Takes balls to gamble on a car show ,weather other events etc .GO FOR IT GREAT SHOW

16. blacufo

blacufo

no matter what this is still one of the best shows in the East Bay. Being able to see this show progress from a parking lot to what it is now over the years is pretty cool. The best part is its seems like every year there are more and more new cars coming out either being build or dragged out of the garage. With all the economic issues going on i think its a damn proud thing to see a ton of folks get their cars out drivin them and enjoy a saturday.

17. [

ps. the funniest thing I ever watched was the beer bungie, our booth was next to franco's and the bungie was on the hill in front of us. We laughed all day!!! Wish we woulda went this year.[/QUOTE]

Fuck that was a long time ago!!! I think after a few of us big guys did it KIRK! decided to hell with giving away beer. Its gotten a lot bigger since then but also a lot better. Worth the trip every time. A big thanks to all that came out. And definetly more bathrooms I had to wait 20minutes at one point, but thats the only bitch I could see anyone having everything else went without a hitch. A big thanks to my fellow SWANX, Allan and family, last but not least all of you who came out with your rides making the best show in California
    Thanx
    Fudge

18. Turbo442

Turbo442

Funny thing about the restrooms is there is another set way out by the bleachers that is empty whenever I have gone to it. Every year I walk past the long lines to that one and walk past the same people standing in line. I guess if you make a line people will just want to stand in it.

19. Turbo442

Turbo442

Thanks again for putting on the show and making it better than last year. I was curious about the ticket and poster stuff too so thanks for explaining it. Maybe offer the Kustom tickets at the Billetproof table with the shirts, etc.

20. studhud

studhud

Billet proof # 3 (I think it was #3 in Alameda) was the stand out for me. I think it was Steve Sellers with the GIGANTIC flames out the flame throwers had to be 70 feet. Then he by mistake he backed over a puddle of flaming gas on the ground! Damn near burned his car up. I lost facial hair due to the heat and I was way back from it! Anyone have a pic of that I would love to get one? Since this has become a post of opinions here's mine the early years were great It has changed for sure but this year was a blast for me!
    LTR Dave

21. seret

seret

I think Allan is doing a great job with Billetproof so far. Keep in mind he is NOT Kirk so the posters and look of the swag is bound to change.
    People complain it&#8217;s like a Good-Guys event; O.K. and what part of Billetproof is like Good-guys? There are a lot of cars? I&#8217;ve never seen a boydster at Billetproof<p>
    The rules to the show are on the poster and website &#8220;no billet clad fluff mobiles named after a fifties song&#8217;s, that&#8217;s it. It doesn&#8217;t say no shit boxes with 3/8-rod spider web grills.
    Its not the promoters fault T.V. and the internet have put traditional hot rodding into the mainstream, and people who don&#8217;t get it flood in with what they think are traditional cars.
    The days when Billetproof was a young show and all the people in attendance &#8220;got it&#8221; are long gone. <p> So if you don&#8217;t like the cars in attendance at billetproof tell the guy that brought the car. Not the guy that puts on the show.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

22. JBW

JBW

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go this year but putting it on my calender next year...thanks for the pics.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think anyone who wants to bitch about $3.00 parking should park down the street in the shopping center and carpool in.

I actually heard a guy at the ticket booth complaining "10 bucks to get in and 3 bucks to park!!! did they sell this to Goodguys" then another guy says "yeah, they sold it to Goodguys"

prolly a "Street Beast" owner

24. braineater

braineater
    from sacramento

we had a great time...saw some cars that were questionable. but oh well the show was great and the atmosphere was great. thanks for continuing to put on great shows

25. glenmcdowell

glenmcdowell
    from salinas

if you're taking notes i might suggest more food vendors. the lines for the good food seemed to frustrate some. otherwise my friends and i had a really, really good time and my kids couldn't stop talking about it! to me the show's uniqueness comes from the rules not the poster or the ticket. continued success.

26. tommy v

tommy v

here you go , that was my 1 st billetproof ,it kicked ass , it was a great little show with mostly freinds back then
    [​IMG]

27. seret

seret

Why does everyone compare Billetproof with Goodguys in a bad way? What is wrong with a Good-Guys event anyway? I see lots of cool cars, and great ideas at good guys shows. Maybe its because you might see a dorky old man with a Fanny pack and a peach 1947 4 door Chevy, and that&#8217;s kind of like going to Billet proof and seeing a beat to fuck stock 4 door dodge with rattle can flames and 4 dudes in it that look like Lenny and Squiggy?
    You have to pay to get into the Cow palace show, and the Sacramento AutoRama, and Santa Maria, and no one goes up in arms about that. I don&#8217;t get it

28. Choptop

Choptop

The food lines were a problem. I brought in an extra vendor this year, and even at that one of the vendors ran out of food and had to go back to the shop and reload with more food and come back. Vendors that were there last year doubled their stocks and were still pretty wiped out at the end of the day.

Definitely more food vendors next year.

I may spread them out a little as well. Having them all in one spot is convienent... but it also creates a little foot-traffic jam right in the middle of the show. That also lends a little bit of a "crowded" feel when its really not.

The ticket and poster complaints are valid.

I have my posters and tickets from past years. I'll see if there is some way to make the tickets unique again, but still have the ticketing co. handle the process. They did a bang-up job this year. Part of what they do is give me computerized reports from each terminal so I can see trends in flow and adjust labor and resources from year to year and make the process even smoother. The downside is they dont use the custom designed and printed tickets from years past, they use a computer reciept print out.

its cetainly not a "profit driven" choice as the ticketing co. cost me aprrox 10x what printing the tix and admission staffing cost me last year.

29. studhud

studhud

The power of the HAMB folks! I asked and received! That too was my first Billet Proof Great F-ing pic of a stand out moment! LTR Dave

30. Turbo442

Turbo442

Careful what you ask for... it's easy to see food vendors demanding that limits be placed on outside food and coolers being brought in by people. I know my firends came with a couple coolers and some others brought bbq's. Next year there will be complaining about the cost of the food.