Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maserati powered roadster at Billetproof Norcal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36C8, Sep 21, 2008.

1. 36C8

36C8

2. That looks great, especially considering that motor is out of an Eighties car.
    Makes me wonder what the Bi-Turbo motor would look like?

3. dirt

dirt

i dont care for it at all. looks like a street rod in progress. ifs and an 81 maserati motor ruin it for me, not to mention the shifter. but hey, its not my car he can do what he wants.

4. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

It's probably a blast to drive but it's ugly as sin...

I think if you use a euro-super/sport car engine in your hot rod, you better create an entire package... Not just slap the motor in and slap a fiberglass body on and slap some suspension together... Etc...

You set the bar... Rise to it...

5. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Ryan's new Rod??

6. Just not feelin it!!!!!

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Get rid of the red spark plug wires, polish some aluminum parts. I would love to own an engine like that.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Traditional? No. Nice as hell? Yes. Perhaps he got a good deal on a wrecked Maserati and after a few beers, got the inspiration. There is no denying that it looks kick ass with that carb setup waiting for the next breath of air. I gotta give it a thumbs up. This is one of those cars that you have to hear the owners story to find out what was the inspiration and what was he trying to accomplish.

Hell, maybe he just wanted a hot rod and worked with what he had.

9. draggin breath

draggin breath

For those soo quick to critizice the front end is a dropped eye beam with coilovers.

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if it had some 97's on it, could you feel it then? :p:rolleyes:

lets see...grind off the Maser emblems on the cam covers and polish them up all shiny, and it looks like a non-descript DOHC v8 which is cool. New plug wires, and clean up the induction, maybe some vintage injection stacks to look older. Loose the coilovers and use torsion bars and some different shocks, it has potential. And a better midget nose. The interior leaves nothing to desire.

11. James427

James427
    BANNED

I like unusual power plants. That car probably sounds awsome! I was thinking of finding a mini hemi from a Daimler Dart for one of my builds.

I agree. Make the mods furbisikit listed and it would be tits.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love it. You can only imagine how cool it sounds. Say, who was that guy who did the Ferrari Deuce? Bet nobody is bashing him. Gary

13. horses for courses as they say but some v8`s need to be left in the car they came in...imo thats one of them

14. The engine is the coolest part. I could live without the car.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

musta missed it. there was also an Alpha Romeo T at Billetproof.

while you are at Jalopnik be sure to check out the Nascar crashes on the same page. 10 crashes with video. the best is the 1960 one where 37 cars got all mashed. no way I'd do 150 in a 57 chevy... those guys were nuts.

16. dirt

dirt

no, its an ifs. read the paragraph below the picture.

17. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

The engine is awesome, but the rest is pure anus.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I am not generally too big on newer looking engines, but this sort a looks pretty cool to me, especially with those carbs and the lakes pipes. I think it needs a little finishing, but otherwise not too bad. I agree on the wire colors, etc. but finish painting that up and detailing it well and could be a pretty sweet looking ride. It is not "traditional" to the letter of the law, but seems to fit the spirit well enough to be and the motor definitely looks like it should be able to get the job done. Hard to imagine an 80's Maserati had an engine that cool looking because the rest of the car was a dog. Probably didn't look as cool in the Maserati as it does in this car in this form. I wouldn't grind the "Maserati" off the covers if it were mine. That doesn't bother me at all, but I would paint the engine up properly along with the rest of the car.

19. As for the Maserati-powered coupe, I'm exactly not loving it...but if you gave that same engine to Steve Moal and his team....they might craft something pretty exotic around it...imagine that engine with polished or crinkle-finish cam covers....maybe a custom Inglese fuel injection system...add a swoopy hand-formed body and it might just be the cat's pajamas...Maybe my suggestion is not exactly HAMB material, but I doooo have a lot of respect for the work that Moal's shop turns out.

Picture below from Moal Coachbuilder's website....take that Maserati engine and build something like the Ferrari-powered Moal Torpedo below...

[​IMG]

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think the engine is neat; for me the car is too long and too low.

I didn't see any satisfactory explanation of the "independent suspension", but it sure looks like a dropped tube axle with coilovers and hairpins.

21. SimonSez

SimonSez

It does look like a dropped axle, so unless they screwed up and didn't mean to call it an IFS, it's probably a split axle that pivots in the middle (like an Allard's).

22. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:):) I love it ..... ain't hot roddin' bout doin' your own thing???:confused::confused::confused: Traditional hot roddin' arn't we all doin't now ??? New style motors, etc., wasn't the small block chevy NEW????..... the flatty back in the day when the fours ruled ???? :D:D Built it an' drive the hell outa of it.... have sum fun!!!:D:D:D

23. Weasel

Weasel

If anyone is seriously interested in a Maserati V8, PM me. I have one of these engines (4.9 ltr) absolutely complete, with trans, low mileage, non smoker, running when removed in Jan 2008, at sensible money.

24. I'd drive the damn thing! It looks like a ton of fun, and you sure as hell aren't going to find another Maserati powered rod at the local cruise night at the choke-n-puke!

25. braineater

braineater
    from sacramento

i totally missed that! it HAS to be blast to drive.

26. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Bastard love child from a one night stand between a racy Italian gal and a rat rod.

27. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

You have obviously never seen a Maserati Quattroporte... It's more like the love child between a fat italian "godfather" type mobster and a "Betty Page" 1940's pin up Gal. :p

I'v owned 3 Maserati's, one was a Quattroporte with that engine, and a Bora with the same engine.

The QP was like an Italian version of a BMW 750 IL. Super luxurious, 100% hand crafted down to the last nut and bolt. It handled like it was on rails, and would cruise @ 130 mph all day without breaking a sweat... But everything in it was fragile, it broke down often, and it was EXPENSIVE to fix.

The Bora was like an Italian Porsche Carerra Turbo. [but without the turbo]... That car was LIGHTNING quick and vastly under-rated... But again, fragile, expensive, and difficult to keep running.

The 3rd Maserati was a Biturbo..... I wish I could say something nice about it..... It was semi-hand crafted... and it was luxurious [sorta].
    I think the best way to describe it would be to imagine a ford Tempo with a badly tuned Buick GN turbo V6 in it... At lower RPM's it was a dog. It misfired, and putted. Loaded up in city traffic and fouled plugs like they were going out of style....... But every once in a while, I'd hit an open strech of road, get it in the power band, and everything would suddenly work right [rarely], and it would sing like an italian opera star.

Maserati actually makes some fantastic engines. You should hear one of their V8's at 7000 rpm. Sounds like nothing else on earth. Somewhere between an american musclecar V8 and an italian V12..... Just music to the ear.

28. Dare to be Different, that is what Hotrodding is about and hey I think the engine is a great idea. To bad the rest of the car was not as neat as the engine.

CBB

29. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

thats worse than the black one...