Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My (dare I even use the overused word?) 'barnfind' Model A roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

As many of you know I have been on the hunt for a roadster project for quite a while. With winter rapidly approaching I was beginning to entertain the idea of buying a body and doing a full-all out build. I've been getting a little ancy and about to sacrifice for less than what I was really happy with, that was until about 3 weeks ago.

A friend of mine got a call from high school classmate about some cars his girlfriend’s dad had for sale. As he ran thru the list there was nothing really that stuck out—a couple ‘60s Tbirds, some ‘50s Studebakers and a Model T sedan—nothing that really tickled my fancy. A few days later the actual seller called to fill him in on the details. Turns out the first guy was wrong, no T sedan but rather a Model A roadster! The cars had belonged to the seller’s dad who has recently passed. They have been sitting in a concrete shed for the past 30 years!

At was at this point I decided to get involved :D. I called the seller to ask when I could view the cars (downplaying my interest in the A :D). He said the garage was packed and he needed some time to clear it out just to make the cars accessible. He hoped to get to it by the following Tuesday and that he would call when he was ready. So I waited and waited and waited. Finally Tuesday rolled around, no call. So I called him and we made arrangements to see the cars Saturday. Despite a very hectic weekend at work I made the hour or so trek near the Pennsylvania state line to see it. When I arrived I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was really a real, live (well, kinda alive :D) roadster!
    [​IMG]

After checking it all over, I verified it was in fact a ’31 as he had thought. It is in awesome shape and I knew I HAD to have it. To say I was excited is an understatement!

The body appeared in excellent condition and the car has just the right patina :D The stock 4 banger didn’t seem to want to turn over but I figured I would worry about that later. The guy shared some history of the car with me as well. He said he could remember driving it when he was 14 years old, back in ’52. He also said that his dad used the A to haul up 5 trailer loads of household goods when he moved to northern Ohio from West Virginia, what a sight that must have been! There have been some upgrades to the car including later model wire wheels, ’40 juice brakes and later model front end set up (the spring is in front of the axle rather than on it). Plus it has a really sweet 4 pipe exhaust :D
    [​IMG]

I had hoped to close the deal that day but he told me he had another interested party coming Wednesday to look at it but he promised to call me as soon as they left and we would try to work something out. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday had to be some of the longest days of my life. Luckily, thanks to Ike, my power was out most of that time so I had something to distract me from thinking about the A. Finally Wednesday evening he called me and we were able to strike up a deal. Unfortunately it was already dark so I couldn’t go get it that night, I would have to wait until Thursday. Wednesday night the anticipation was killing me, I could hardly wait to pick it up.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

When I got to the garage on Thursday a lot of stuff had been cleared out making it much easier to extract the A. She still was sitting just where I left her!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily I was able to borrow the trailer from work with the winch. It was a HUGE help! The car did roll nicely though once the tires had some air in them. There were still a few obstacles to go around (Studebakers for example :D) but the steering worked well enough to navigate around them.
    [​IMG]

Finally she saw her first daylight for a very LONG time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was slowly winching it I put it in gear to see if the engine would turn and it did so I think there is hope for it yet! The engine, much like the rest of the car, is very much complete (even some custom horns and coil cover ;))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All loaded up and ready for the trip home.
    [​IMG]

3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I stopped on the way home and showed it to some friends who gather on Thursday nights. They wanted to see how I fit in it so I tried it out for the first time (I think all of the animals are out now :D)
    [​IMG]

After everyone had some time to visit with it I brought it home and tucked it in for the night.
    [​IMG]

I took out the spark plugs and gave it a little ‘cocktail’ of sorts to fester for a few days until I get the tune up kit installed. I’m hoping I can get her fired up next week :D

Plans are for now to get it running, road worthy, and dependable. I really, really wanna leave the banger motor in it (or build a faster B :D). I’ll probably take the fenders off and attempt to make a period correct dry lakes era car. I am looking for ideas so if you have a 30-31 Model A you love, post a pic!

I know this is the one place in my life that people truly know how happy I am about this find. You guys know what is like to find stuff you’ve really really wanted :D

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Welcome to the A family lady:D

cant wait to see what your plans are

5. James427

James427
    BANNED

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW, what a nice find you've got there.
    Good luck with it and be sure to keep us posted.

7. i hate you lol

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

awsome megan, congratulations
    I'm happy for you!!

come check out roger's at hershey....good one to model after?
    [​IMG]

9. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Could not think of a more worthy person to get this roadster. Megan is a true hot rodder through and through as well as a sweet person. You go girl!

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

11. ron0257

ron0257

Great car! Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Ron

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

CONGRATULATIONS ...

Nothing like being a roadster owner ... looks like a sweet little 31. It is a true barn find and could not have happened to a nicer person. Keep us in the loop as progress cleaning and getting it running happens :)

Randy ... longtime roadster owner

13. brady1929

brady1929

14. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Wow! 1st Laura & now you! The HAMB girls are buying up all of the roadsters.

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

You have got to be the coolest chick I know....

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Really perfect roadster! Dont you dare remove those fenders. They make that car. the patina is perfect with them. Great find. I'd love to see a hopped up banger in there.

17. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

Very nice, congrats!

18. Nice ride. All the cool parts are still there. I think that car can fly!!! LOL >>>>.

19. Great find.

Bro-in-law and I pulled a 32 Nash out of a barn a few years back.
    It'd been in there for 50 years.

I poured some Marvel Mystery Oil into the flat 6 motor, let it sit for a day and turned the engine over easily with a KD flywheel turning tool.

What are the plans?
    Full fender?
    Highboy?
    Engine?

20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

aarrggghhh! all the luck I tell ya!

Good score, I'm jealous to say the least!

21. COS

COS
    from KCMO

LUCKY!! Keep us posted!!

22. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Excellent Find!!!!! congrats, leave the fenders on though, it seems like no one runs them any more. Dare to be different!

23. Flatman

Flatman

Congrats Megan! Cool score:cool:

Changing your handle to "RoadsterGirlRox"?????:D

Flatman

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm so thrilled for you sweetie! I can't wait to do a roadtrip in it with you.....and just think how much fun the Jalopy Showdown is going to be next May!:D

25. I'm hoping that since you're planning on keeping the banger, will you also keep the '31 radiator shell? Nothing worse than a wanabe deuce.
    Congrats on a perfect find. "Good things come to good people" never was so true.

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Don't you have a '32 Roadster already? Anyways, that is one awesome find and I am glad it is with someone who will truly appreciate it.

27. That's cool Megan. I'm very happy for you!

Charlie

28. nice find megan -congrats!!, are you gonna get it running and drive it ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  29. Mootz

Mootz

I couldn't agree more!!!

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wow, perfect. i agree about keeping the fenders, but if it was mine i probably wouldn't, so i can't say too much. looks super solid. i am sure it'll be a blast.

does the newer front end make the profile look a little wonky?