Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat top king pins for '32-'34 Ford spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rem, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Rem

Rem

Can you get aftermarket king pins for '32-'34 spindles, that support the bearing above the spindle? If so, any part number and/or suppliers, please? The hose fittings on the hydraulic brakes I am fitting would foul on the mechanical brake cups on original type king pins, and although I have heard of people cutting away the cup I would prefer not to have to do that.

I guess they would just be like '37-'41 king pins but with the groove for the cotter pin lower down? I have some stock (maybe?) later ones that the top cap is machined, but I also have some (cheapo aftermarket?) ones that just have a washer welded on the top, and I wouldn't trust this style to support the car's weight.

For those that are not familiar with the '32-'34 (and I think '35 and '36) spindles, the axle support bearing sits on top of the spindle and the head of the king pin supports the weight of the car. The '37-up spindles have the bearing on top of the bottom spindle boss, and the axle sits on the bearing - 'all' the king pin does then is keep it all in line.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think Richard EV8 Garage on the Fordbarn (and very occasionally here) has such.

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

bruce, can you auction off some of your knowledge on ebay to finance some car projects or buy a small country or something

I'm starting to get a smidge of an inferiority complex :D

4. Rem

Rem

Thanks Bruce, I have to contact Richard for some other stuff anyway, so will ask him. Are they not generally available through any of the usual hot rod / street rod suppliers? What would you ask for anyway - just " '32-'34 flat top king pins"?

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

For hydraulic brake to stock 32-4 spindles just use the stock king pins, Chuck the king pin in a lathe and zip the top cup off to leave a 3/16"/1/4" bearing flange and make a cap to cover the hole. You can make a simple cap from a block freeze out plug. 32 -34 King pins are getting expensive so if you don"t want to waste money you can use a set of cheaper 35/6 king pins, the diameter is the same and the king pin lock is in the same position. The only difference in king pins is the angle of brake actuator cups and that just get removed.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Richard will know what you are talking about. There are probably streetrod sources, but then you have to worry about quality and even fit with original axle stuff.