Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Scottsdale West World or ARIZONA state fairgrounds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

KIRK, the Scottsdale gig (home of the dustbowl car show) is AWESOME, don't get me wrong, the attendance seems bigger and bigger every year. So, what I'm going to ask for consideration will probably be dust in the wind, BUT! The show NEEEEEDS to be at the Arizona State fairgrounds. Much like the Puyallup deal. A MUCH more interesting venue, with HUGE space and HUGE parking. Buildings, old trees, walkways, large open areas, under the grandstand vendors area, hell, even a roundy round track, barns, stables, concessions row, and a SKYRIDE to take it all in. The state fairgrounds is also smack dab betwixt almost all of the HOT ROD shops in town! The season finale show would go from awesome to, (wait for it......) FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!!! (over use of the exclamation point very intentional)
    If it were put up to a vote, I bet it would be the fairgrounds, the hallowed fairgrounds where Wallace and Ladmo held stage shows.....the Purple Palace....ahhhh yes.

Here's hoping the black Scottsdale city council helicopters don't start flying around my house with the blacked out SUVs in tow. Friends and family, if I come up missing, look to the east!

What do y'all feel? Fairgrounds or Westworld

2. I've never been to the fairgrounds, but have been to the polo field several times. The show now is very clean and sanitary, in a manor of speaking. I'm sure the change of venue would really change the show. For people who travel a fair distance like my family does, the facilities at WestWorld are sure top notch. My 2 cents.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Agreed Dave...I've been to Westworld GG's many times...I LIKE that venue...and I feel there's more than enuff room for the attendance now and for a while into the future..

I've seen a lot of fairgrounds...and a lot of them are old, dirty and simply not a nice place to park a car and keep it clean...the grass on Westworld keeps down the dust and dirt...

Now IF the Arizona fairgrounds are like the Des Moines, Iowa fairgrounds...or the St. Paul, Minnesota fairgrounds, I may have to retract my 2 cents worth...

R-

4. ratty 58

ratty 58

I like Westworld. It is dusy no doubt, but my problem with the Fair Grounds is that it's more ghetto than North Scottsdale. I love going to Goodguys since I only have to hop on the 101, drive for about 1/2 hour, and I'm there! It's a nice drive, and a very nice area.

5. I hear what you're saying Jimmy. The east side just really doesn't have a Hot Rod car culture to speak of. No shops, and only a couple of shows, overall nothing with an edge to it-mostly the lawn chair crowd with 80's street rods and musclecars.
    .........AND that part of town (Scottsdale) is really sanitized of any sort of real character- although it is great for people that travel in from out of town. And the venue is kind of scenic.
    The fairgrounds definitely have a different kind of cool factor.

6. Kerry67

Kerry67

What event are we talking about ??? A new event coming to Arizona ??? Hopefully ???

7. GreggAz

GreggAz

I am with you Jeem on AN event at the fairgrounds, and it would be great to see the GG show there... HOWEVER, as you have seen here already the PERCEPTION of that area is negative. I, and many people take offense to that perception that the area is a "GHETTO". I live within walking distance of the fairgrounds, it is the historic heart of PHX. The fair grounds are in the middle of the historic residential districts, where the owners take pride in their homes. NO there are no home owners associations to make every house sanitary and alike, so people who prefer the Scottsdale vibe find it "Ghetto".

That is what would prevent an organization like GG from putting on a show down here. People "believe" that there are no nice hotels and that the area is not safe. Quite the opposite is true.

As to West World, the dust and grass clippings are horrible. After a day there I can not breathe, and cars are covered with the mess. It is a nice place other than that.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

EVERYTHING is more ghetto than North SCOTTSDALE.

I'm speaking from the vantage point of someone who is grasping on to the last glimmer of hope for this soon to be soul-less city. I grew up here and miss the sense of community the valley had. I guess that's what happens when you grow from 30,000 to 3 million citizens. YES, the fairgrounds is old and during the State Fair season (soon), it is a place to avoid (UNFORTUNATELY), but the grounds are actually in good shape. The old buildings in good repair, AND most importantly, the VIBE can be there once again. Hell, the cost of admission will keep the riff-raff at bay. Don't let the old neighborhoods sway your opinion on the fairgrounds, it's a bitchin' place, so are the neighborhoods, for the most part.

It's depressing when you see a mid-century city such as Phoenix bury their recent past under the newest Starbuck's. Again, I really have nothing against Westworld, other than the bowl is getting FULL! I'm actually amazed and thankful to the Goodguys group for making this show what it is. I wouldn't suggest moving it accept that I think it could be SO MUCH MORE, with an old time, traditional VIBE at the ARIZONA STATE FAIRGROUNDS.

I'm not talking about having a "Bring your pitbull half price admission" type of event. I'm talking a step back in time to enjoy a slower paced (at least for the attendees) event that welcomes all form of street rods and hot rods and customs (taste be damned, haha), something with some atmosphere and not just a big "see the whole deal standing in one spot, grass bowl in the dirt" show.
    This would RULE!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  9. KARASKUSTOMS

KARASKUSTOMS
    from Mesa, AZ

I'm with you guys on the change of venue, it would be great to see hot rods in a place where there is some history and architecture, better than a big giant tent. Is there someone we can show our support to that will actually make this happen?

10. MilesM

MilesM

If I am correct the history goes all the way back to CRA Jalopy races on a dirt track at this site.

11. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I've never been to the Fairgrounds. I've got nothing against West World (other than it can get dusty). If you are considering a switch, I'd be interested to know about the availability of hotel rooms and restaurants, relative security issues, and the like......all stuff I'm sure GG considers at any new venue. Maybe we could cruise thru there this year on the shop tour? I'm open to anything! Just keep coming to Arizona!
    BTW, how does the Fairgrounds, appearancewise, compare to DelMar? That's an old venue.........just a thought.

12. Brian W

Brian W

I would welcome a change of Venue for GoodGuys. And as far as the guys who are saying it's too ghetto, let me tell you I have worked other Goodguys' shows where the fairgrounds are in some pretty sketchy areas. The Fairgrounds here aren't bad when it's not Fair time.

13. ratty 58

ratty 58

Sorry if I may have offended anyone, but I'll admit I haven't been in the area recently. Actually, the last time I was there was about 6 years ago for the state fair. All I seem to remember are the punks and gangbangers hanging around. It might not necessarily be the same crowd around the Goodguy's show, but I just don't get the best feeling about the area.

But I have nothing against fairgrounds. I wish we had grounds as cool as the Minnesota State fairgrounds. I've gone there many times for the Car Craft Nationals and Back to the 50's, and it's such an awesome venue. Too bad our fairgrounds don't compare.

14. GreggAz

GreggAz

as for hotels, there are several high end hotels a short drive away down town, including Hyatt, shereton, Mariott, etc. There are also several renovated older hotels, and more being renovated, Hotel Monroe, the San Carlos, and several very nice ones along the central corridor between cammelback and McDowell.

Next to hot rods Good food rates high on my priorities, and that is one of the best things about living in central Phx. Tons of great restaurants. They are mostly small non chain establishments, but we have some of the regulars down here also.

anybody who has a doubt, let me know when you are in the area and I will give you a tour of the high lites.

15. wonder what the overhead would be to move it ,rumor has ot the beatit-jackoff auction is unhappy at west world also

16. Kerry67

Kerry67

I certainly can't see B-J going to the fairgrounds. Not high-end enough for all the money bags that are there. Take the RICH out of Scottsdale ???? You must be insane !

17. And to add to Gregg's post, just about ALL of the hot rod shops are a short drive from the fairgrounds unlike Westworld.

18. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I was just there this past weekend. I must say that the main building is nicely kept and there was plenty of parking. Yeah, the neighborhood is older that most of what I saw around Phoenix. However, we like old cars because they have character so what the hey, shouldn't the same apply to the houses? I dunno. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in as a non-AZ resident that just saw the fairgrounds and liked what I saw.

Joe

19. desertdroog

desertdroog

Jeem, your idea rocks. Nothing ghetto about the Fairgrounds, it is still East of the freeway.

Harden up suburban folk! :p

Besides, cruising that part of town, Phoenix Central Proper, is way more correct looking from your vintage vehicles cockpit than the suburban sprawl-a-rama. Mind the curbs when you park, they are about a foot tall, perfect for grinding your doors or Indy trucks.

20. WWKS (what would Kirk say?)

21. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Miles: Indy Champ cars up untill the early 60s on a mile track. No jalopys there. Most of the Indy big names from the era showed.

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've been to every GG show at West World and really can't complain. Any thoughts on the Stadium (Giant indoor show with an open roof) in Glendale?

23. Glen

Glen

Im surprised you guys are not talking more about the fact that the last two years the polo grounds were packed....If it stays and continues to grow, I would think the year cut off would have to go down......

Kirk...what about that other deal I asked you about?

Barrett will be in Vegas......I bet they dont last another two years here in Scottsdale

24. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Moving to the fairgrounds would add 10 miles to my drive. Whats the matter with you guys that would cost me $ 3.00 round trip, I don't have that kind of money!

25. kinda miss the early shows(94-96?) that took place down in the old town part of scottsdale,no way now but damn it was fun....

26. whats is the weather like in flagstaff around that time?? i will be coming from albuquerque to this show hopfully, an dit will be my cars first trip when it is done. should i go thru flagstaff or whats the best way to get to the show from here and not run in to SNOW!?!

27. Glen

Glen

When I go to the hamb drags I cut down thru holbrook off of 40 down thru payson into Scottsdale, that will cut about an hour off of your trip. The roads are winding and mountain....but pretty much the same as thru flagstaff minus the 80mph idiots and semis.

28. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have never been to the fair grounds either. Maybe the move could be a step in the right direction to help the metro PHX area/ fairgrounds clean up (and stay cleaner) and kick start the downtown life.

I think it could be cool.

The polo field is definitely close to being maxed out. Especially with all the stocker 71 Ford trucks and new Corvettes with "62 body panels" . . . talk about riff-raff . . .

Anyways, can we just make the move already!?!?! This is all Jimmy talks about these days. I'm sure if you asked his wife, she'd say he mumbles this stuff in his sleep too! Move the venue if nothing else, than to just shut him up!
    geez! :D

jw

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not this year apparently. They couldn't get a date that worked. The only one open was Super Bowl weekend.