Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I have been trying to get the hang of sheet metal shaping.I built a English Wheel a little over a year ago and have been practicing.I have had some success but I still have a lot to learn.

So if you have any advice or sheet metal shaping projects going on show them here.

2. Concrete B

Concrete B

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i would advise buying a book on metalurgy and learning why the metal does what it does
    once you know why, then its just a matter of practice to make it do what it "needs" to do

4. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Thanks for the advice.

I am a member of Metal Meet.I have been reading and practicing.I figured there must be some metal shapers here.

I enjoy reading and trying learn as much as I can about metal shaping.I have been trying to reduce the need for body filler.

Here's a few picture's of what I have done so far.

20080324_4.JPG

20080426_2.JPG

5. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

If you can do work like that you should be answering questions rather than asking them. Good job!

rpm56, Hombre, Doctorterry and 2 others like this.
  6. Abone29

Abone29

Damn I agree with strike a poser ,you should be teaching other people.thats fine work you did there.

ferus88 likes this.
  7. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Thanks but I am a true rookie.

I had a lot of help from the guys on metal meet.

I am just looking for another avenue to find more information.

So let's see some patch panels and other metal shaping projects.

8. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

What method of welding did you use to weld that fender together?

9. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I MIG welded the fender.I bought a Tig welder but I'm not very good at it yet.

10. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Did you hammer the weld as you went or weld it up then wheel it?

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

wow, very nice work on the fender

12. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Holy Crapoly, we need to learn from you! Your fender is excellent.

13. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I tack it a inch apart and then fill in between each tack.After every inch of weld I grind the proud of the weld and then re-stretch the haz of the weld(the blued area)then slapper dolly it smooth.Then move on to the next inch of weld.It takes forever to do it this way but it sure helped my results.

Using a wet rag on bare metal never seemed right to me.I was glad to find a better way to do it.

20080425_4.JPG

20080425_9.JPG

20080425_11.JPG

20080425_14-1.JPG

I'm not really the person to ask,I'm just struggling along.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

how do you stretch the haz of the weld..? what tool do you use.

Boy, this sure makes my grind the weld smooth and slap some filler on top method look bad...great work.

15. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Yeah that fender is insane!

16. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I usually just ping up the haz from the back side with a body hammer and dolly off method.I think most people use the dolly on approach to re-stretch the haz of the weld.

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

[​IMG]
    I hope you're planning on contributing to tech week, "rookie". Awesome work.

18. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

John has come a long ways since he started that fender. I watched his skills improve daily, on the Metal Meet site. Great job!

8ntsane likes this.
  19. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I'm pretty new to H.A.M.B what's tech week?

With this thread I was hoping to jump start a sheet metal shaping thread.

I would love to see some of your guy's work.

There was a lot of this before I completed this fender

Attached Files:

20. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

21. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Insane! Good job buddy!

22. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Hows this for a tech artical?
    shaping a bowl

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This is how I got started.I put all of my projects to the side and have been doing nothing but asking questions and practicing the basics of sheet-metal shaping.

Shaping a bowl was one of my first practice projects.This will give you a understanding on how to shrink some metal.

Lets start off with what tools you will need to get started.

The first thing you will need is a stump.You want to find a hardwood stump.I made mine out of oak.
    [​IMG]

I made the dish 8'' around and 2'' deep.They say your dish should be more of a cone then a 1/2 hemisphere.

The next thing you will need is a is a heavy hammer.You can spend a lot of money on a good shaping hammer.They are worth every penny of it if you plan on shaping a lot of metal.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on your shaping hammer.Make one out of a baseball bat.It will do the trick.

[​IMG]

You will also need a slapper.They are easy to make,find a leaf spring and use that for the head of the slapper.Make sure you true the head of the hammer up wit a file and get it perfectly smooth.Then sand it with finer and finer sand paper until the head is perfectly smooth.
    [​IMG]

I even made my own dolly's,so in total you only need around twenty dollars worth of tool.and a weekend to make them.

[​IMG]

I made a bunch of different styles but you get what I mean.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Getting started you need to get a blank cut out first I used electric shears but you can cut it out with some snips.

I cut out two blanks.If someone shows the interest in shaping one bowl and post your progress I will show you how to copy it.Making one is good practice but matching one is where you will start becoming a metal shaper.
    [​IMG]

The next step will be putting in some tucks into the blank.
    [​IMG]

Concentrate your blow in the angle that I have shown.You are trying to drive the metal into the side of the bowl.If you do it right it will cause a fold in the metal(tuck).

You can crush them out one at a time.I just lay a bunch of tucks in it all the way around the blank.

[​IMG]

Hold your blank back into the dish and just crush the tucks out on the side of your dish.

Should look something like this after the first round of shrinking.

[​IMG]

Now start your next set of tucks right on the inside of the first set of tucks.Were going to do this all the way to the bottom of the dish.

[​IMG]

This will cause more tucks.
    [​IMG]

You can see the hammer blow it's just above the right side of the tuck.

Like I said I just hold the blank up to where I can smash out the tucks in the bowl to get as much shrink as I can out of each tuck.

[​IMG]

Also..I will rotate the blank in the same angle shown above and hammer it all the way around.to keep the bowl as true as I can on my way down to the bottom of the bowl.

Just keep working it all the way to the bottom.Doing the same as you have been doing.

[​IMG]
    After you get to the bottom it will look like this.

[​IMG]

It's pretty rough so now using the inside of your dish as a dolly.Rotate it around hammering as you go and smooth it out.I use a little dead blow hammer after it starts to get smoothed out.

After I get it smoothed out as best I can I use my slapper and dolly to smooth it out the rest of the way.Earlier I showed a tow ball dolly that is not what I used for the dolly.Use your slapper in a sweeping motion.

[​IMG]

Smoothing it out took some time but here's some pictures of it after I sanded it down.Notice in the picture where the bowl is sitting in the dish of the stump.It a lot larger then the dish of the stump,we didn't just smash a piece of metal to the bottom of a bowl.We actually shaped something here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the start of a bad addiction for me.I went to the doctor and they don't have a pill for it.

Good luck and hope this helped.If you do shape a bowl please post your progress.It would thrill me to death

Tim, BradinNC, JOYFLEA and 4 others like this.
  23. Dyce

Dyce

Don't kid yourself Johnny, you're doing allright.

I just picked up a pair of '36 ford front fenders. I have to make a new front for one and repair the bead on the other. I get rolling I'll post. I'll be learning like you did on the fender you did.

I have a bumper I have to finish first. That's more like blacksmith work I'm doing on that.
    Jeff

24. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

25. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

What's up Jeff.

You have some pictures of the fender's.I am trying to stir up a metal shaping conversations here on H.A.M.B.

26. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

More metal shaping pics! I love em!

27. That there is some nice work. Looks like you've got a hand on that metalshaping. keep up the killer work

28. Cshabang

Cshabang

nice job...very nice job..

29. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Me too Shane

I know when you see the bowl you say big deal there's not a bowl shape on my car any where.

Well using the same principles as I did shaping the bowl I used to shape this panel and every other panel I have worked on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK heres how I started.

[​IMG]

I am using the flex patterns from the other fender and using them in reverse.I started off by cutting a blank and laying the pattern on the blank to get a visual on what needs to happen to the panel.After I see what needs to happen I put a couple of reference lines on to the blank.Then it was time to put it on to the stump.

[​IMG]

It might not look like it but there was a lot of hammering to get the panel to this point.

[​IMG]

I like to try and get it as close as I can to the pattern before putting it to the wheel.

It's getting close in this picture but it's still a ways out.

[​IMG]

After wheeling it for a while I got it fitting the pattern tight.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture when it was done.

20080616_21.JPG

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BigOr and j-jock like this.
  30. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

this is why the HAMB rules - JH very nice work - im gonna give it a shot - next few weeks wont be able to start, but im definitly savin this thread! THANK YOU for the post.