Register now to get rid of these ads!

marine flathead info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a-boy-named-sue, Sep 16, 2008.

1. a-boy-named-sue

a-boy-named-sue

<hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> does anyone have any info on ford or merc marine flatheads(early 50's)? or anything on the conversions? i.e. "the capitol" reverse transmissions, or star marine exhaust manifolds or anything?
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

2. Greg Shelton

Greg Shelton
    from CA

I have a couple of boats with Flathead Motors and V-Drives.
    Contact me if you are interested.
    I'm Located in Central CA.
    Thanks, Greg
    Phone # (559) 784-7809
    E-Mail: [email protected]

3. Greg Shelton

Greg Shelton
    from CA

Do you mean stuff like this?
    Thanks, Greg
    Phone # (559) 784-7809
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Attached Files:

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Might be a stupid question by why do boat engines have water jackets round the exhausts?

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

To keep the exhaust manifolds cool, so they dont start a fire in the confines of a boat.

There are other reasons why it's done that way, but fire safety is the #1 reason why they started doing it in the first place.

6. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Since there is not much air flowing around the motor, the exhaust will be red glowing hot quite quick. And thats not good in a wooden boat :)

7. Roupe

Roupe

Wrong! Its done to preheat the lake water before it enters the engine block. With out the preheating of the water the motor would run way to cold. Lake water is anywhere from 33 to 80 degrees.

8. 8-Track

8-Track

Hows this! 1935 Chris-Craft ford flathead V-8

Attached Files:

9. 8-Track

8-Track

raw lake water flows thru the exhaust manifolds at all times to keep them cool. raw lake water is also run thru the engine block but the flo is controled by the thermoustat when it opens it dumps the hot water out the exhaust manifolds.

10. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Well why have Engines with closed freshwater coolingsystem, still have watercooled exhaust manifolds?

I say the fire hazard is a major reason.

I agree with 8-Track

11. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Hmmmm... Ok....
    Maybe you didn't notice, but my "screen-name"... Pir8Darryl... As in "Pirate" Darryl.... Get it? The nauticle connection? There's a chance I juuuuuust might know a thing or two about marine engines.... And ummm, well, you are the one who is WRONG!

Pre-heating the coolant :rolleyes: Ha! That's rich.
    Is that anything like the old lady who goes out and turns on her headlights first thing in the morning to "warm up" her car battery? :D

12. leadsled01

leadsled01

Your both right! Keeps the exhaust temps down and preheats the water so it doesn't crack the block. Anyways, I have an old Star Marine conversion book that lists a kit for the flathead. What do you need to know?

13. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i have always wanted to know if this oil pan/stand was marine or just a stationary engine piece.

Attached Files:

14. a-boy-named-sue

a-boy-named-sue

well I guess I do have marine stuff then, and it is for sale. It consists of a pair of star marine exhaust headers, a pair of Jabsco water pumps and "The Capitol" direct drive trans.with some other small nik-naks...let me know if anyone is interested...