Register now to get rid of these ads!

What wheels for my 65 f100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Red lines came on muscle cars and in the early seventies I saw them on a few custom mercs.

2. Beginning in the early sixties- several BIG luxury cars were released with pinstripe whitewalls in different configurations (single/dual).
    They were used later on 1960's custom cars, but you don't see them much anymore.
    (except for the maybe the VOGUES "D's & V's" common on old skool Homie cars)
    They aren't really a "Hot Rod" item, but do have a very specific period feel to them which i think is ultra-cool.
    [​IMG]

There was also a "Triple" stripe WW- It basically looks like a good old Rally stripe (as seen on musclecars). It is still available from Coker.
    [​IMG]

Diamondback will custom make a set of whitewalls for you in radials- I have a set coming from them with dual pinstripes for my F100. They should be here in the next few days- I'll shoot you a pic when they get here.

[​IMG]

As far as Redlines- there were also yellow and blue stripes- but in general they are only made in limited sizes specific to certain musclecars. I believe that they are ALL Bias ply, and come in numeric sizes only (i.e. 8.00-15). They are pretty much a musclecar thing- something like 1967 on up.

3. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

In a past issue of The Rodders Journal, there was a 32 ford with chrome reverse steelies and red lines....it looked SOOOOOOOOOOOO badass! I vote for double/triple white lines or redlines (you can get redlines in radials..if need be) wheels? Cragars, or chrome steelies and chrome spiders. PLZ NO RED WHEELS!

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

lol. Well you know I think the red lines would look good with the semi gloss black. and I totally agree with you about the red wheels... overdone...I like the look alot ... but every tom dick and harry has it. Im thinking a gloss black with chrome beauty rings and spider. maybe a blue...but that would look funny with the red line. hmmm.. Red wheels would match the redline... emmmmmmmmmmm....

5. 65fordguy

65fordguy

here is a truck posted in another post of mine... I dont mind this look so much at all.. but it doesnt really scream custom. more stock cool.

[​IMG]

6. 65fordguy

65fordguy

My wife just told me she liked this look the best. lol. I have to say I like it alot myself.

[​IMG]

7. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

If I was going to do americans they would be grey. Here is my dads ford with orange steelies.

Attached Files:

8. how about those mustang bullet five spokers kind retro styled and in 18"

9. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Ive been looking into the spyder rings and stock wheels. looks good ... but Ive yet to see anything but wide whites on em. well, 1 black wall. but thats boring. I wonder what it would look like to have a spyder ring and beauty ring and the push thru cone on a stock ford wheel from rally america?

10. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

11. Now that you're getting educated away from the bling stuff, why not set up a common to the era wheel in an original way?

You won't find any other wheels like these anywhere.
    [​IMG]

12. BBobb

BBobb

\

that's some funny shit!!!!

13. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

14. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Whats your set up?

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I saw some tires at a show a few years ago a tire that had a good street tread and it had a small white wall...and above or below it was a thin gold line.... I remember liking it.

Any of ya know what it was?

16. 65fordguy

65fordguy

lol. playa... shoot .... I aint "played" in years......"Dog":cool:
    I hung my pimp hat up 3 years ago.

I take it those are not hot rod material. lol

17. chazzin

chazzin
    from butler,ga

yea those are vogues, maybe more early lowrider material, i dig them though
    i definitely think skinny whites, im running theme with cragars on mine

[​IMG]

18. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

17" Cragars with redlines on my Ventura

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  19. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Here are a few Hamber's with our dual pinstripes. Photos courtesy of EL BOZITO and BigBlockMopar

Attached Files:

20. Nice!!

Mine will be here tommorrow!!

21. 65fordguy

65fordguy

You know, I kinda like the way that truck looks with those... Do ya know what size wheel that is?

Do you have a website?

22. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Never mind I found it on view my website.... :D

23. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

I know the wheels are 15" but I don't know the width. Tire size is 205/70/15. Look up EL BOZITO in the directory and send him a personal message.

24. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey man I heard you got your wheels on...
    A guy here localy spotted your wheels and recommended them...

youll have to post some pics man!

25. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I know you guys ruled them out but found a pic of them on one... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are thos cruiser alloys... I know. I know. not vintage! lol.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  26. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Just found out they are18s. thick tires. looks like stock height.

27. hey I realize that this first one isn't a truck-- heck it's not even a Ford!!
    ..but the wheels-n-tires are so right on this car, they would have to look good on your truck. Just my opinion, though:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008

28. Honestly that really IS the big challenge when you're talkin about "Pickup" and "Vintage Cool" at the same time. As much as I love old Ford trucks, your truck- like mine- has those big ol' slab sides...It is just so much more massive (than a car) when viewed from a side profile. Those trucks either have to be ridiculously L-O-W, or honestly- 15's do look a little funny.

Whitewalls help with this issue I think- cause they visually extend the edge of the wheel into the tire sidewall. They sort of trick the look of a more impressively sized wheel.

Honestly- I like the 18's on that Truck. But it's not vintage, ol' skool, period correct- whatever you wanna call it....they're not :) There are alot of vintage styled wheels that would compliment that truck of yours, and low profile tires- even 60 series tires, weren't really available until some time solidly into the 1970's.

I cheated and bought 16's- it was a size that allowed me to have a larger wheel that i feel is more "in scale" with my truck, and still have the right sidewall height. There is something really cool about picking out the right wheel/tire design that compliments the vehicle and creates the right kind of sidewall "bulge", both front and rear. It's something that used to really be a shittin' big deal- especially on fenderless cars.

Anyhow- sorry for the book, just that I've been doing the same thing as you-- for the last 3 months!! Good luck!

29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I agree... it is a tough challenge... and a rough decision. I dont really want to lower the truck.. mainly it cost a ridiculous amount to lower twin I beams.. nearly 600 bucks for lowering beams...even then people complain of bump steer worse than stock... So...right now I have 15 inch stockers on it with hefty good year wranglers mounted on ... even with that the tire barely is 27 inches tall. leaving almost 4 inches of wheel well ... lol My 4x4 has 5!! thats with 34 inch tall tires. any way. If I could get 29 or so It would look alot better. All that said... this guy posted on my other post... and I like it. plain and simple. it worked.

[​IMG]

This with a chrome bullet center and the spyder you guys
    talk about. It would look good. This is a a stocker all around.