Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SHOEBOX UPDATE: yes,,i've lost my miind

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i have been contemplating taking this step for several weeks and finally this morning, i decided to go ahead with my crazy idea.......i locked the doors to my shop, got out my tape measure, masking tape and cutoff wheel,,,,,,my idea was give the body a swooping taper,,kinda of like the old chris craft wooden speedboats.....i decided that to accomplish this, i would need to do some more sectioning from the front of the door to the back of the car,,,i needed to do a "tapered section" though,,,,,,after lots of measuring and remeasuring,,i made the necessary cuts,,its basically zero at the front part of the door tapering to a 5 inch section by the time it gets to the end of the quarter..,,,,,its tacked in place, and im happy with the flow,,,,,,,,i still need to do more cutting on the doors, but im waiting because i need to figure out exactly where the roof will fall first,,,,i decided it will be a two seater, and the roof will be very similar to the 53 cadillac lemans show car that barris modified/built for harry karl,,,,,(complete with a wrap around windshield),,,,and yes, it will still have fins,,

basically the car is inspired by some of my favorite features of various barris built cars....you will see influences from the golden sahara, the harry karl caddy, and a few others (not revealing anything else yet,,haha)....

note: PICTURES CAME OUT IN REVERSE ORDER FOR SOME REASON

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. geemann51

geemann51

wild.

can't wait to see this one....

3. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

You had me getting nervous with that earlier bubble top post and then looking at these pictures before reading what you wrote. If you need a hand lifting the roof back on, let me know.

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Holy SHIT.

I'm with Geeman...

I dig the fender treatment-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008

5. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

You are a GOD!!! I love it so far, yet I hate it at the same time haha. Awesome man!

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

carl,,,,,was actually considering a bubble top,,,,but decided it wasnt what the car needs,,,,,,,,,the old top ISN'T going back on though,,,,,,

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Kinda gives a '50's Studebaker look to the rear fender "bulge"...not sure I like the front lower "body line" above the wheel well...makes the upper fender too massive...however, it is YOUR car...and I can't wait to see it with those fins...

R-

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I really like the rear fender line now. I think it won't be as absurd with the fins on it. Can you take a few staged shots with them on?

But christ Jim, you really need to stop looking at this thing and start moving on! Holy shit I think you have more welding wire in the body than body. :eek:

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

only a few more ideas left to talk myself into,,hahah,,,

10. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Son.................I know youve got a few years on me but trust me..............There are places you can go to get help.Its okay to admit you have a problem.There are others like you and it seems that they all came from a 200 mile radius of where youre standing!LOOKS GREAT!cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. sawzall

sawzall

nice lift ha ha..

sorry I was a day early..

jeff

12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

50 chevy coupe roof will fit- and make it look good as a hardtop...

I'm sure Rickster has pics of the shoe I'm thinking of I just can't remember the name...

Tuck

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

There was a famous shoebox out of Jersey with a 41 Chevy roof called the Gator owned by Slim Gellings .As far as making a shoebox into a hardtop,anyone who does it might as well just copy the Buster Litton roof cause it cant be beat.

14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree... Littons coupe is perfect. I love a lot of shoeboxes from that era...

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hmmm... not too sure about this one. :eek: I think a 0-5" pie slice is going to leave the front of the car too tall in proportion to the rear. How about a 2-5" or a 3-5" section instead?

I really have no idea how this car is going to end up because you haven't finished anything you've started. :p

16. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

check out the top row middle picture,,,its already got the 5" out,,,,,,,,,the whole car will actually sit a few inches lower as well

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I've made copious amounts of sex wee, you better pay for the Depends.....you suck!!!!!!

18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

litton coupe=perfection

did you guys see those COLOR shots if it in rodders journal??

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha.....guess im doing ok then,,,,,
    send me the bill,,,,,,,

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, cant wait to see it with the lid on it!

21. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Insane! keep the updates coming. I think your ADD is getting worse;)

22. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

Dude you are so right!!!! i have been watching this build for a while and now its just getting crazy.... but i like it :cool: oh yea!!! Keep the pics coming!!! We need more updates

23. I think you have gone to far, but I know very close to nothing. This car is getting further away from finished rather than closer. I liked the mild chop, section and fins, and that's it.

24. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Thatsa bawlzy cut:eek:

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

its to with two o's....:rolleyes:

who cares how far he is from the finish line...

what i dig about this is that hes got the balls to cut up a shoebox and fuck around with NO FEAR right in front of all of us...
    thats what makes these posts RAD.

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yeah, sure, it's gonna rule, who cares about doneness, not I.

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

big thanks to all that "get it"

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You know what? Fuck safe........ if Miles Davis hadn't decided to record Bitches Brew, if the New York Dolls didn't wear those platform boots, if Larry Flynt had never shown splayed out gynecological beaver, this world would be a worse place to live in.

I applaud those with the nutsack to stand on the precipice of dumbassness and good taste, yet decide to plunge in the former. I'm not saying that Kustom 777 Ford is dumb, it isn't, but risk taking.....hell yeah. There's a whole lot of stupid rat rod out there but I'm confident this car isn't one of 'em, I'm inspired by this, this makes my old jaded fat ass wanna kick some ass.

It hasn't all been done, this is proof positive.

29. Noland

Noland

This things going to be purely AWESOME

30. jfrolka

jfrolka

Man this thing is INSANE, i cant imagine the hours of bodywork that will be in this thing when its all painted and done!!