Register now to get rid of these ads!

How does this SCAM Work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

I've been scammed many-a-time via ebay and paypal. Sending payment via paypal, they didnt send item, paypal wouldnt refund my money. Another time I sent a money order, never recieved item from some guy in Syracuse, NY, ebay wouldnt do anything to help. I've sold stuff some stuff and recieved payment on Paypal, like $150, then the other party told paypal someone who wasnt "authorized" to be on their paypal used it, so paypal took the money back out of my paypal, nothing I could do about it. I bought a program on Ebay and the seller assured me they'd show me how to use it, after purchasing and run around for weeks trying to get help, I filed a complaint with paypal for a refund, the seller threatened to get their "lawyers" on me.... blah blah.

I no longer use paypal, i always send money by certified mail, and I dont ship anything until I got cash in hand. I only deal with people within a days drive from me.

Everytime I list anything on craigslist i get the "You item bring me great benefit, I send sum of 1000,0,000.44$$$ US DOLLAR ($$$$$), you wire me sum of subtracted change!"

Remember, if a deal is too good to be true, it is. You're not gonna score a year old harley for $3000. No one is gonna sell you a mint 69 Camaro for 10% of what its worth.

USE COMMON SENSE!

2. BettyRumble

BettyRumble
    from Tennessee

Never give out your bank account info for them to put the money into. If anything, create a new one, and once the money's in there, cash it out and close it right up. I wouldn't deal with anyone overseas though even if they're legit. It doesn't make sense to me that they would want to buy something over here, and then pay an additional $5000 to get it shipped over there

3. Good ol cash don't mean jack with all the counterfeits floating around.

A few years back I read about a couple of guys who went into a bad part of L.A. with about 25 G's for a Deuce something or the other.
    Sure enough, when they got to the area they got robbed.

Even when the banks tell you the cashiers check or whatever is good they'll still pull the money back if the check turns out bad.

There seems to be some sort of understanding or agreement between banks/credit unions/etc.
    They stick together like thieves in the night.

I got a check from selling stock.
    The figure was about what I thought it would be.
    Deposited it in my credit union.
    This was after keeping it for over a month while we were in the middle of a move.
    Another month later, the stock broker house or investment firm or whatever the big crooks call themselves nowadays contacted the credit union and said the check was in error and should have been $400. lower.

Sure enough the money was sent back to the crooks . . . I mean stock brokers and I had to wait for another check to be issued.

I think the brokerage house has an advertising jingle about, "We make money the old fashioned way, we steal it."
    Not completely sure there, but deal with stock brokers and you'll end up broker than you were when you started....

4. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

In 2007 I was taking pix of some temple ruins in Myanmar, way the Hell out in the sticks. A Burmese dude rode up on a scooter and asked me if I wanted to buy some gemstones cheap. I had heard there was a black market for them so I figured it wouldn't hurt to look. He had me follow him on my bicycle a few hundred yards to another temple ruin. When I got got off my bike about five or six more guys came out of the ruins and surrounded me. Didn't look good as they started asking how much money I had.

Thinking fast I told them I was interested in lots of stones but didn't have any money with me. I asked if they could watch my bike while one of them gave me a ride to the house where I was staying. I said that I would get some cash and then come back and make a deal. I acted really interested and played along.

They fell for it and I hopped onto a scooter with the apparent leader. He wouldn't go all the way into town and I had to walk a bit. But as soon as I got safely to the house I had the owner call the cops.

Not ten minutes later the Tatmadaw (the miltary Junta in power) showed up with LOTS of guns. Seems that they wanted to do a propoganda piece on how well they protect the tourists. They had a photgrapher/newspaper guy who wrote a story about it for the local paper. Didn't hurt that I was American.

I jumped into their Toyota truck and we rolled to where, unbelievably, that stupid guy was still waiting in the street for me. He was busted big-time.

Then the soldiers took me for a ride out to where my bike was left and those idiots were still hanging out there, too! You should have seen them scatter like cockroaches when we pulled up with all that hardware. They even had a mine-sweeper that they used as a metal detector for body searches.

One of my favorite souvenirs of the trip is the newspaper with my shining mug on the front page. I have no idea what it says about me though.

They did tell me that tourists get jacked all the time out there. I was one of the lucky few who got away.

Attached Files:

5. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

On Craigslist there is a new type of scam where they advertise a Harley or some other kind of valuable bike for about $3k less than market (today there was a '06 wide glide for $5700). How are they making money on this? Just collecting email addresses?

FWIW, Craigslist is very good about pulling these as soon as someone marks it as Scam.

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

they say they are gonna send you a us money order thats made out for more than the purchase price, and want you to send them only a small amount of the difference,via western union IMMEDIATELY after depositing the M O in your account.
    so a day later when they run it they find out its a fake M.O. and you out the money you send to south africa, or france or wheverer the fuck they claim to be. i have a drawer full of these fake money orders. i like to waste thier time and keep telling them it hasnt arrived yet. its hilarious when they get mad and start making threats... i had one piece of shit tell me he was gonna send the russian mafia after me! i had been stringin him along for about six months.i told him you have my address ya fuckin fagget russian peice of shit(no offense to any russians or gays out there,was just trying to be offensive as possible),sendme the M.O. or jump a plane and pay me a visit! (after he had already sent me 8 of em)5 years later and guess what? still no large ruskies have showed up on my door step. i think you gotta be a real dimwit to fall for that one, but obviously people do if they're still trying it.

7. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Do some searching here on the HAMB. You will find that there are people looking to ship hard to find cars and parts overseas (and some of them have been scammed in the process)

I got one of those craigslist scam emails. I offered an F1 flathead 6 cyl radiator for free to someone that could use it, unbelievably I didn't even get some scrap guy to lie and take it from me. But I did get the overseas guy that really desperately needed my radiator that likely needed to be recored, but I had to send his shipper the difference in the check he sent me. It was so funny because you could tell that the email was computer generated because it had the same misspelling that I had in the ad.

More recently though I decided to include a cell phone number in a couple of CL ads because I wanted to make it easier to contact me. Sometimes I just don't like the blind email stuff. But I will not do that again, I am getting calls from mortgage agents, roofing and siding companies and others now:mad:

8. GEEZ 37kid, don't you even recognize your OWN STUFF anymore:D?!

See you at Hershey- looking forward to finally meeting

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Read my post above.

10. You could always do like the one guy I read about years ago. The scammer wanted to buy his laptop computer. By the time he was done he'd conned the guy into accepting it with the shipping paid COD on his end... and he sent the guy a 3-ring binder with a bunch of random keys from a junk keyboard glued on one side, and the "screen" drawn on in marker on the other side. So it cost the scammer at least a couple hundred bucks, and he lost his phony check too.

11. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Oh there is a dumb ass in every group. We had a guy fall for it at work.
    This is after a similar dude got a check from Canada. He told the guy sure send me 3500 for my rusted out POS 94 Ranger. Which was on ebay for $900.
    Then he took the check to the bank. Where he launched a investigation on the type of check and who sent it. This draft sender had the who fake business with music while your on hold etc.
    After all this. The other guy that was in his same work center....Takes a check for 30K. His car was for sale for 21K. He send back the remainder and then the bank freezes his account because the bank draft was fake.

12. I sold stuff on eBay for a while. Never got scammed. But my account was hijacked by someone with a Yahoo email address selling a car way to cheap. eBay killed the ad. But since I was ultra careful about security and still got hacked I closed my account. I did Pay Pal for a while but got tired of discounting my goods. Now I sell stuff on the HAMB and take postal money orders and certified checks only. Also, I don't ship out of the country. Just to dam many hassles.

13. orphaneddie

orphaneddie

CASH! I had a bank teller make me wait until it cleared as well.. it did, and the car got shipped! whew!!! didnt know that people are making fake Money Orders!

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea i was selling some aircraft AN oil lines on one of these auction sites, 20 bucks, I get an email, I am very interested in your goods, am willing to send you 500 american dollars for the products that you have listed, bla bla bla, who you contact my agent and arrange for pickup and american flight scedule to fly there and bring check for american dollars. LOL. what a moron. :D as far as i know also, get them to send a postal money order, I believe the post office can run the serial numbers on it and tell right away if it's legitimate. plus if it's fake the guy who sent it,if he's in the us, will be looking at federal charges.

15. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I see a lot of post about hijacked accounts. Does anyone run a anti-spyware software on their computer. Keyloggers can be installed on your computer from a website and log everything type and send to a server. Don't want to freak anyone out. Ad-aware is a good one.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I run adaware,plus i have spybot search and destroy. you can have more then one because they don't run all the time. just be sure you update everytime you scan. also malwarebytes antimalware is very good. it usually gets the stuff the other two miss it's slow but effective.

17. Who the fuck vacations in Mayanmar!?!?!?!!?!??!?!!?:eek:

18. these guys even print fake postal money orders! the thing about wire transfers is nobody wants to pay the service fees for them. keeping your guard up is full time job these days.

19. Yeah anymore it's Seller Beware! Also be very careful when signing over your title or legal ownership documents. Had a buddy sold a car, got the $$$ cash, signed the title & handed it over on the spot. Buyer was supposed to go to the DMV & get it transfered-WRONG! The scammer took the car & title but never got it transfered, stripped the car then dumped it-VIN tag still attached-streetside. A month later my bud gets a bill from the city for $500 to dispose of "his" car! I'll NEVER, EVER sign over a title until I go to the DMV with the buyer to assure ownership is transfered.

20. daddio211

daddio211

My dad sold a pickup and signed over the title in the early 70's when we lived in San Diego. The guy wanted to be able to drive it home with the plates on it so he didn't get in trouble, so my dad let him, as long as the dude promised to throw the plates away when he was done.

Ten months later a few cops show up at our front door to talk to him about my father's involvement in running drugs over the Mexican border. SAY WHAT!? :eek:

Turns out that the buyer never re-titled the truck and was still running my dad's plates. He got nailed and the police came looking for the owner of the truck. Simpler times, but the cops clearly understood that my dad had no involvement in the drug running. We never heard another word about it.

Also, I know a guy who ALWAYS has scammers send their cashier's check to his PO Box. He doesn't take them to the bank, he just posts on the wall of his shop. :D

21. nickeynova

nickeynova
    from texas.

a good buddy of mine was selling 2 full quarterpanels for an 82 monte carlo. this guy from over seas had sent him a check for 6000 dollars n had writen to take the panels to this guy n he would crate em up n to give the rest of the money to him in cash. i think my buddy wanted 1200 each. so he deposited the check in his account n waited. the check was bad. he coulda lost a bunch of money. n he couldn't get a hold of the would be buyer or the guy who was to crate n ship.... becareful.

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

he should have just let them know he sold it and wasn't the owner. I know here if you have sold it and no longer own it you arern't responsible for it. He shoukld have been able to sign an affadavit stating that he had sold it.

23. Possibly, but in the state's eyes it was still his because the title hadn't been transfered - they advise sellers to assure compliance with rules re: signing at the secty of state or at least notary public. Kind of sucky but admission of anything else would consitute violation of the rules. Lots of people do it to avoid paying full tax on a transaction, the state knows it and isn't receptive to helping anyone who doesn't play by their rules.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

hmmm here you go to a notary they sign the title you sign the title, then they do whatever they want with it. you have 30 days to register a new car. also pull the plates, never give them to someone,if they get pulled over,they are responsible for having the paper work to show they bought it. you can go to the dmv and tell them it's sold i think, I know if you cancel the insurance after you sell it you get a letter. All you do is check that you sold the car if you want,it even says if you no longer own it, you can disregard the notice. another thing after you sell it, cancel the insurance before they drive away. they are responsible for obtaining a policy before they pick up the car. They could pull out of your driveway and cause a ten car pileup, and guess who pays? Calling your agent and telling them that you sold the car and have cancelled the policy should be proof of sale also. and what about a photocopy of the title showing it signed over? get the same notary to notarize the copy also. if you have any problems,theres your proof.