Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roller Painting Your Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

There was an older fellow I worked with as a teen who painted tank, boilers and smokestacks. I did it for a little bit, but sitting 400 ft in the air in bosun's chair and pulling yourself around with a rope hanging from the top while the wind swings you around makes you rather mow yards.

Anyway, he had a Valiant station wagon that he painted with rollers and brushes with good hardened and thinned paint, and of course sanding, and you couldn't tell unless you got your nose right on it.

I painted camo at the Marine Armory on their equipment by hand with area specific stencils and brushes/rollers. It went on just fine and sanded right out. You had to dull it so it wouldn't reflect. I did a bunch of trucks, a few tanks, and motor pool fighting recovery equipment that they shipped straight to the Fulda Gap for the Army in Germany.

2. hippie6

hippie6

I painted my Lincoln with a 4 inch roller and rustolium. When I was at detroit autorama and I told people how I painted it they couldn't believe it.

Just get yourself a good radio and LOTS of sandpaper 600, 800, 1000 and more sandpaper. Oh yeah maybe a cold beverage or 2

3. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

IBB41
    That looks nice man is that really with a roller damn nice. I have painted one car and going to try my 31 coupe next but i sprayed it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. Although the "Lifetime warranty" sounds good... Stucco is over rated and the bumps give your car the "Whiffle Ball" effect at high speed!!!;)

I Brushed an exterior latex on two cars... one was flat olive drab and one was gloss blue.

They turned out awesome using a pinch of "Penetrol" in it so that the Brush strokes would lay down and disappear!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  5. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I ain't letting any Dude paint my junk...:eek:

Now those Jap chicks from the Toy truck thread...

Finger paint..!

6. KARASKUSTOMS

KARASKUSTOMS
    from Mesa, AZ

Sounds like something I heard the Jerky Boys talk about. Gotta love Frank Rizzo.

7. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

OK...now that was funny! :D

8. boldventure

boldventure

there was a guy last week talking about forming aluminum, youse might check it out for that siding application, for the vinyl just leave it out in the sun first, black works best, dunno why...

9. sadayo

sadayo

10. yes it's a lot of labor, but I have only 30 bucks into the paint job, most of that was on sand paper, here's a link to the whole thing http://forum.olskoolrodz.com/showthread.php?t=35253&highlight=50+dollar

11. FloridaJoe

FloridaJoe

Ibb41, by the way, about those bubbles in the paint. Sometimes, if you mix the paint too fast you will get them forming in the paint pot. If so, just use a balled-up paper towel and dab/skim them off of the top. It will keep the bubbles to a minimum. Also, you can try to use those dark grey/black foam brushes versus a roller, as they will usually keep this from happening as well. And minimize your time with wetsanding.

12. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Now that is hi tech when I was a kid we used a whisk broom!!

13. henry29

henry29

Nothing is more traditional than brush painting a hot rod and trying to make do with what you have.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  14. I am going to "roller paint" my 34 P/U with Dura-Bak bed liner. Hey if I roll it thick enough I won't need to do any body work! If you google Dura-Bak they have car photos that have been done in many colors of bed liner! They will also send you a sample chip! It's non slip so you can dance in the rain on the top!

15. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

bein' only 41, and only hearin about it 2nd hand i can honestly say, he's not kiddin. repeat after me... "use it up, wear it out. make it do or go without"..... warn't alotta 800 numbers nor custom shops in the 20s, 30, or 40s... might be better off today if that was still the case.
    the damn paint has NO IDEA how it was applied.....

16. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

I have heard of people using a bug bomb pump sprayer , like someone said before the paint does not care how it gets on the metal !

17. blackout

blackout

I am a little hesitant to post. I am no pro painter. Let's get along with each other. My question, please dont flame me, when you guys roll paint your cars, why do you use Rustoleum, etc? Why do you not use automotive paint?

18. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

I painted the roof on my Sport Satellite with a roller and rustoleum. I only did a few coats and didn't spend too much time making it perfect since I was putting a vinyl top on. I could see that if you take your time you can come out with a decent product, especially for the price.

19. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

the reason the roller idea started was you could do it at home in your garage/basement and not get overspray on everything ,

plus you cannot spray rustoleum thick or it takes forever to dry,
    but thinned down like milk it dries overnight

there is more than one way to skin a cat, the roller way is just another way to get some paint on your car....

Beaulieu

PS.....yes you can get hardener for Rustoleam, but its the same nasty stuff as regular car paint and requires a professional mask most people do not have,

20. Hell, a storage van I bought came with at least 10 old paint guns in various stages of disrepair. But proper painting with a gun is an aquired skill - for some guys it's just easier to paint with a roller or brush. And it also requires an investment in equipment - unless you know someone so full of hot air he can just blow on the air line all day for you. A roller is what, $5 and you can throw it away after.

No one is saying it's the best way to paint your car - that's a matter of personal opinion. But it can be made to look acceptably good if someone's willing to go through the work involved. Hell, I know a guy who brush painted a truck bed with old automotive paint because he had nothing better to do and had zero invested in the paint - and it didn't look nearly as awful as I thought it was going to. The paint doesn't care how it gets applied.

I think the biggest advantage a roller paint job offers is anyone can do it just about anywhere. The way the EPA regs are getting, being able to roll it in the garage and paint it yourself on the sly in a couple days is the big thing, without the need for spray booths and equipment, a painter's license (which I'm sure we're headed for thanks to the envrionmental nazis), and so on.

21. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

I don't think anybody on here is trying to say that one method is better than another, but just saying that there is "more than one way to skin a cat". Some of us have small residential two-car garages and no where to spray a car without getting overspray on the house or neighbor's car. I think, from what I see in lBB41's photo, that his roller job looks nice and glossy. Is it so hard to believe that a roller job can actually come out nice? I have seen a bunch of crummy "professional" spray jobs where there are drips and runs or orange peel! I think it boils down to the prep work and sanding between coats that makes a huge difference. After all, like someone else said earlier in the thread, it doesn't matter how the paint comes in contact with the surface. With the high prices on nearly everything these days, what's wrong with trying to get a nice looking paintjob on a budget and have it done in your own garage without a huge mess? Just because something is "low-buck" doesn't automatically mean there is a sacrifice in quality. It might just mean that more elbow grease was invested in the project versus $$. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I hope I crossed all my "t's" and dotted all my "I's" and used correct punctuation and grammar because this is a tough crowd:)

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

I am going to try it on my daily driver beater. I'll just do the hood first and see how that comes along before I commit to doing the whole car.

23. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

When I was 16 we painted my buddys red and black 1955 chevy pickup with navy blue rustoleum, white on the grill-bumpers, and a brush. Did it out on the street on a hot summer day, man we thought we had the coolest truck in town! Of course we also pulled engines with the swing set, transmissions by dropping them on our chest and wiggleing out from under the car, all on the street. Sometimes with two wheels on the curb and a bumper jack to get it up. Back then we were proud of what we could do with a little American ingenuity. Just glad we lived thru it.

24. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

IBB41,
    Your car looks great:cool:! The paint job is nice. I read your post on Oldskoolrodz. Thanks for posting this, I think I'll try it on my wagon.

25. I've never seen one that looked good from closer than 10 feet, some of these guys have done some they think look good - remember -beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

26. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

that car looks great i followed the thread as you did it, i have mopar muscle cars and this roller paint thread popped up on moparts a long time ago so iver heard of it, ive never seen one in person that i know of but cant say i had my doubts. i currentyl dont have a car id try it on but one day id like to give it a shot. yeah i know how to spray, i have several guns, im not pro but i really dont see why guys would knock it especially for a car that will be driven. if i had an attached garage i cant say id be spraying cars or parts in it, but a roller job, hell yeah.

27. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Geez,some testy people out there. We are talking paint techniques here,not religion/politics.
    I knew guiys in the 60's who took QUALITY brushes and painted cars.Like anything ;good technique and care produced results.
    FYI,at one point the British DIPPED their parts in stove enamel and hung it up to dry in an oven.Kind of like an early form of powder coating.Very durable stuff.
    Here's a picture of an original paint Vincent.Keep in mind,these components were "dipped".
    Occasionally you'll see a run in the enamel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  28. blackout

blackout

Why are you guys using Rustoleum, etc and not automotive paint? Anyone?

29. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

cheaper and holds up great

30. That's what the moparts link said to use....lol

I just took this picture 15 minutes ago, the only thing I did since the orginal job of over a year ago was to spray some pledge on a rag and wipe down back in Feb. it seems to be holding up pretty good.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.