Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE Ford in Model A or 32 Rails Pics please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSW, Sep 3, 2008.

1. LSW

LSW

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The prototypical FE in '29 on deuce rails was (is, I suppose) Bill Burnham's baby blue roadster. If I recall correctly, the wheelbase and hood were stretched a little (maybe 3 or 4 inches). Covered in several magazines over the years. Bitch'n hot rod.

3. Jimmy

Jimmy

For what it's worth, here's a photo of my buddy's '32 with a really sweet running 428.

Attached Files:

4. LSW

LSW

Hey thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it!

Just for fun here's a weight chart with lots of good info.
    http://www.geocities.com/infieldg/v8enginesizes.html
    Note the FE is 90# lighter than a 460, and only 100# more than a Windsor.
    Now replace the heads and intake with aluminum. That's all I was alluding to.
    Yes I know those blocks are heavy, but a non cross-bolted 390-428 block isn't near that heavy, but is still tough enough for the street.
    WAY lighter than a 429-460, and better looking as well.

Thanks for the info on Bill Burnham's coupe. Stretched because I think an FE is 6" longer than a SBC. 32" for an FE, 26" for a SBC with a short pump.

Jimmy, nice looking ride!

5. this car was built in new zealand note its right hand drive however it attended bonneville this year (2008) where these pics were taken
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I don't know about being cheap to build... I think you could build anything cheaper than a FE. I bought my Boss 351 complete, trans, headers, etc. Everything under the hood of my '66 truck for less than what it was going to cost to re-build the original 352. Go figure. They do look BadAss though.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

Attached Files:

7. LSW

LSW

Cheap is relative I guess.
    I kind of meant, if you wanted a real bad to the bone 390/428 and you already had one, you could make killer HP for cheap. Iron heads, aluminum intake.
    352's weren't considered in my estimate.
    I doubt you could build a flathead, 409 Chev, Y block, inline 6, any kind of Hemi, for less than you could build a 390 based motor. Lets set the bar at 400 HP. Stock parts are cheap and easy, the engineering has already been done for you.
    Not trying to be hateful, just looking for picks of FE's in rods...
    Glad you like your 351C.

NICK, bad ass car mate!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. I've put these pictures up here before. 32 Ford roadster with a 460 FE. Built by Fred Summers, Paraguld, Arkansas. At least 10 years ago. It sees a lot of road.

Attached Files:

9. LSW

LSW

wow nice rod, and I grew up about 50 miles from Paragould, Arkansas. Jesup, Strawberry, Cord, Cave City, Batesville area. Small world.

Did you have to set the engine far back and what kind of trans are you running?

10. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

Unless there's a stroker kit i'm unaware of 460s are Limas, not FE's. Nice car either way though.

11. Looks like a Lima to me too.

12. LSW

LSW

well yes it is, but back to topic

13. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

This was at this year's jalopy showdown.

Attached Files:

• fe.jpg
      fe.jpg
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
    • fe 32.jpg
      fe 32.jpg
      File size:
      118.6 KB
      Views:
  14. LSW

LSW

NICE! I knew it would fit and look right...

15. FloridaJoe

FloridaJoe

But weren't most FE's backed by a C-6 or cast-iron 4-speed? Just thinking that even if you got the motor down to the same weight as a Windsor, you might still be adding more weight with the swap anyway.

But good motors either way. I had a '67 4-wheel drive with a swapped-in 390, Edel. intake & carb., and a 3-speed manual (with a granny gear). It had an amazing amount of torque, was easy to work on/rig, and sounded really good.

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

they make the adapters to put a 5 speed or an AOD behind them now..and if you want a C4 behind it, you can do that too...Hes right about the weight, my dad is a big FE guy...to the point that I'm planning on doing a 29 roadster and my 66 F100 with FES...including that 6 deuce setup on one of them

17. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

Most car FEs, in cars at least, i believe were backed by the FMX, cruise-o-matic, merc-o-matic, slush-o-matic, whatever you want to call it. I know a lot of people don't care much for it as a tranny but i've owned two cars with them and never had a problem. The FE motor is my favorite, old enough to be traditional, new enough to get parts at any good parts store, and more torque than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention an extremely stout bottom end.

I know recently there was a thread on here with a guy running a 390 in front of a T5. I think that'd be pretty bitchin but with that much torque i would think you'd need to be careful to keep the T5 alive.

18. LSW

LSW

Yes most were backed by C4's, C6's or cast iron toploaders. Good news is, I can buy a Jerico magnesium cased 4 speed, a David Kee aluminum toploader 4 speed, a richmond 6 speed, or a powerglide, and they bolt right up.SFI bellhousings and flywheels available, because I am rather fond of my legs and feet. Reason #1 not to put a T5 behind one...lest you have a main gear set come through the floor in a very unhappy way....

19. Nimrod

Nimrod

Sounds like the cost isn't much of an issue for you.

20. LSW

LSW

What are your legs worth? :cool: :)

I was just implying that people aren't stuck with the old options anymore.
    If you can afford it, better options are available.

A C6 with a trans blanket behind one would be cheap and safe. Does that make you feel better?

21. Nimrod

Nimrod

I do like my legs.

At 400hp I wouldn't worry too much about scattering anything in a light hot rod. I've got a 460 in my little A roadster with a weak little SROD 4spd and haven't been able to break a thing.

22. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

Methinks i need to find another 390 for that model A in the driveway.

23. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

I've been dreaming of a little FE powered A pickup since starting the rebuild of the 390 for my t-bird. It could be an unstoppable shop truck all day, and kick ass at the strip.
    As far as FEs being expensive, rebuilding mine cost less than $1000, and that included a machine shop fucking up my heads for $200 and me having to have them redone by a different shop, finding a new block, a hotter cam, and a chrome oil pan. Not a race motor, but would make an A feel like a rocket.

24. LSW

LSW

Now that would be cool.
    had a 390 in an 1968 F250 that worked all day long, and was unstoppable.

25. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I had a 500 horse 352 in a 66 ford f100 when i was 18,That i bought from a good friend that races FE Motors He went to a 390 instead of the 352 so i picked it up with built trans for a good price He races FE Motors here and has a 1966 ford F100 with an original twin i beam setup that he drag races Using nothing but FE blocks.

26. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Mind you The truck i had wasnt pretty but she would Flat get it when i wanted it too.

27. Thats the way I remember most of the fast cars. ;)

28. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Here's a neat 390 powered 32 from Australia.

[​IMG]

29. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

One of the most famous 32 Ford roadsters of ALL TIME is the Tom McCullen 32 Hiboy. It had a 427 FE Ford in it ... before the SBC. :)

[​IMG]

30. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Thats a fine lookin fe.