Register now to get rid of these ads!

'29 Model A pickup estate sale find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammeredcoupe, Sep 4, 2008.

1. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Recently brought this home from an estate sale. 87,000 orig.miles same owner(truck mechanic) 40 years.All stock except for 16"wires and Firestones,and the Guide headlights. Motor and trans. were rebuilt and it runs and drives great. Do I leave it alone and drive it, or start adding/deleting parts to give it more of a post war hotrod look? What would you do?[​IMG]

2. 3ree 5trips

3ree 5trips

Cool find.

Pardon my rudeness...did you score a deal?

It is beautiful just as it is, but do what makes you happy.

Congratulations.

3. What was your original intention when you bought it...I would go with that first instinct/intention but that being said it's sometimes good to live with it for awhile and get to know her and see what evolves.

4. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

While it is nice enough to keep complete if you start deleting parts remember to protect em or sell em to someone who needs em. don't let em go to rot in the backyard.

I 2nd the go with the reason you bought it comment.

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i say NO chopped, lower it a lil, and work up the banger! it already has the tires and headlights id want on it

6. BenW455

BenW455

That is too sweet! nice score.

7. Wheelless

Wheelless

I second the an inch or two lower and that's it!

8. kruzr

kruzr

looks great,,, brakes and power would be an issue for me(imo).
    kinda too nice to cut up. Good luck whatever you decide,nice piece.
    Jerry

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Real fine buy you got there. I wouldn't do anything to the exterior look of it. Juice brakes and an overhead for the banger maybe,and add gas and oil, have fun with it.

10. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Thanks for the response guys. We are definitely thinking alike, I think for now I'm gonna pickup some parts to warm up the banger and try to drop it a little. I'm fighting the urge to take a little out of the top,but my buddies are telling me to finish the project I already got going and just drive the truck. I'll post some more pictures later.

11. Dropped axle, juice brakes, warm the banger a little, and drive the crap out of it. Wheels, headlights, and body are perfect. Probably the nicest original Model A truck I've ever seen. You done good!! :cool:

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't remove the fenders. They give that truck a nice profile, whether it is rodded or not. If it were mine, I'd lower it, hop it up, throw some nice rims and WWW on her and call it a day. Keep it simple on this one.

13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

This was a nice old restored stocker when I got it- dropped axle and juice brakes were all I did to it (then it got parted out :( ).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  14. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

ill second that

15. dawg

dawg

+1...

16. lose all them extra body parts (fenders, running boards, hood)
    extreme frame Z(s)
    extreme channel
    extreme chop
    airbags
    shorten the bed to nothin'
    big meats for traction
    350/350
    '32 grill

Ha ha- I keed, I keed.

That's a gorgeous survivor: drive, rinse, repeat.

Thanks,
    Kurt

17. Why the HAIL would someone part that out?!!!

18. RichardW

RichardW

Fill it up with gas and drive it.

19. chuckIII

chuckIII

i second that lol

20. JimA, why did this car get parted out? Wrecked???

21. Exactly my thought??? :confused: That is one of the coolest 29 sedans I've seen in a while. What's the story Jim??

22. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Not a fun story. Was going to get built into a '29 on '32 rails (what a friend wanted)- ended up as just a bunch of parts that all got sold off a little at a time.

By far the NICEST '29 Body I will ever see. I was putting it back onm a SO-CAL Model A frame when things got REALLY tight with this economy- we sold it to keep the business going.

23. Thats pretty shitty! Was that the one featured in Rod and Custom a few years ago? They did a how-to with juice brakes/dropped axle on a stock sedan with orange wires.

24. FloridaJoe

FloridaJoe

I'm not sure of how estate sales work. Are they advertised, or did you stumble across it, or do you look thorough the obituaries?...? Just curious.

By the way, nice truck.

25. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah, I wrote those stories- did the work in my driveway. I'll get another one someday- hopefully next time with original paint- and it WON'T get parted!

26. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

FloridaJoe, An estate sale is like a garage sale or tag sale,advertised in the classified ads. In this case an attorney was liquidating the possessions of someone who passed away.I went because they listed tools,auto parts,and old service station items.Didn't know about the pickup until i got there. Tim

27. Wow, I'll have to dig it out again and re-read it :D I did look at that story when I did my coupe, looking how you did you M/C mount. That car looked really bitchin, I always like how slammed it looked in the front, and for years I remembered that look. It was one of the few cars that I could find pictures of built like that, and inspired my full fendered A

[​IMG]

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Likewise your A inspires me!!! Fenders RULE on Model A's- have felt that way my whole life.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice Coupe Chris, really like the stance, sorry to read that JimA's Tudor is gone, those were good build features. Could you post photos of the R&C covers so I can activate my search engine?

30. Jimv

Jimv

I think if a car(truck) made it 81 yrs without being fucked with it should be left alone, my opinion, it is your truck.But what you have there is almost "museum quaility".Save it for our kids, these cars are fading real fast.
    Alot of old cars where cut up for stock car racing & people are trying to restore them back to original.
    I think "we" are just a small handful or old car guys, most collectors bring em back to original.(the model A club of america has alot more members then we do!!lol).
    Sell it to someone who will "do the right thing" with it, take the money & buy something to make into a "good" car!!lol
    JimV