Register now to get rid of these ads!

1/4 elliptical spring build Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testpilot, Sep 1, 2008.

1. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

Folks I want to use 1/4 springs to support the rear of the MOdel A.. here are the items i have considered

2 options

1) buying poises springs

2) save some money for diapers

buy (2) 20" trailer springs double eye type
    shift leafs to one side and redrill

Does anyone see an issue with the structural concern of the main leaf having a hole?

I am following 26T thread on drilling the leafs sounds like a B-tch to drill.

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built several chassis with 1/4 elliptic rears using the Posie springs and P&J ladder bars. The first 1/4 setup I ever built 20 years ago used a 40 front spring cut in half and redrilled for the spring bolts. I used the springs on the top and a pair of bars on the bottom with a panard. See the car every year at the LARS, it has over a 100,000 K with no problems.

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I have some brand new trailer springs... 3500 pounders... 3 of them. PM me if you're interested.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has anyone used a waterjet to "drill" the holes?

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I've posted this several times and should be in the archives,I used 57 Chevy rear springs ,short stiffer front half on the front ,weaker longer half on the back. Plasma cut two holes thru them ,bolted them on the underside of the frame (reinforcement inside)and they worked great on a Model a with a SBC.

6. depends on the trailer axles!!! if they came from mobile home,they will not have the flex in them for any length of time they are not designed to have that kinda use.they will snap......Im using the Posies 1/4 set-up under the back of the Pie Wagon

7. unclechop

unclechop

as for drilling holes use a masonary drill bit sharpened the same as a metal drill,i have drilled through files no problems with these.
    they are inexpensive and the tips are usually tungsten carbide.

8. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

I made my quarter elliptical springs from original 36 chevy pickup front springs. since I started with two semi elliptical spring packs, I cut the springs about an inch and a half away from the center bolt , instead of cutting them directly in the middle. this allowed me to use the original centerbolt location, so no drilling is required.

9. 26T

26T
    from Denver

After what I've been through I would agree with this. It's worth the price of the extra spring to not have to drill. I haven't finished mine yet and I doubt I will. Learned a lot about sharpening bits though! It's easy once you get it down.

10. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

i was looking to have a spring with the a double eye LIke th posie setup !! Thoughts

11. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Do you have a spring shop in your town, a good shop can do that for you. Thats what I plan on doing.

12. 26T

26T
    from Denver

I checked on getting an eye put in too. It can be done and you,d still come out ahead of the posies kit. However the time I have in mine now I wished I had sprung for the kit. If you take everyones advice here you can build a cheap elliptical setup. Just don't learn the hard way like me!

13. timmy t

timmy t

I had a buddy with a mill drill my springs.We used a masonary bit, plenty of oil and the mill set to run real slow.

14. brewsir

brewsir

I have used both...posies and homebuilt. It all depends on how much money you have laying around versus what is your time worth ...and do you take pride in building it yourself.

15. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

I did have to drill one leaf on each sping pack. I made the third leaf out of what was left of the main leaf. I did this so I would have a spring eye at the rear of the pack. I also reversed the arch of that leaf. after I get everything mounted I'll post some pics of them.

16. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

anybody put something like teflon between those springs? I'm doing a setup like this and wonder about "sticktion" between the leaves.....

17. wrencher

wrencher

I used 2 trailer srpings taht were rated at 1500lbs apiece then cut them in half. I am using these in the front on my 47 stude project.

18. 067chevy

067chevy

I did a tech on this last year. Its not as hard as you think to drill leaf springs. Drill press and good drill bits and the ability to sharpen a bit is all it takes. I've built several 1/4 elliptical front suspensions using model a front springs.

19. car/truck springs are made different than trailer springs,,,,,,,good luck.but DO NOT trust them

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

See if some of our English HAMBers can send you a pic of the early Jaguar that ran 1/4 elliptic style rear sprngs. i know it was the model with the narrow rear axle and had a kidney shaped grille. I guess the model AA truck also ran that type of deal.