Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

:eek:

2. 53 Tuck N Roll

53 Tuck N Roll

This is inspiring. I don't have a kaiser but all the DIY is amazing!

3. 53 Tuck N Roll

53 Tuck N Roll

Was fixing the rockers just a weld away or did you buy replacements panels?

4. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

with a 6 volt reducers on each one, and run it with pos still going to pos and neg to neg. you should only need one for the gas gauge, arent the temp and oil mechanical? the AMP gauge wont need one.

5. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

Damn fine car you got there bro! I knew I recognized it from somewhere. Me and my dad struggled to get the '35 Ford done in time for the homebuilt heroes contest, but it just didnt happen, the car was apart when I found out about the contest... Again, nice job on the sled, its fuckin bitchin!

6. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Pulled all this out today:

[​IMG]

Also finished patching the floor up, insulated the roof and mocked up the dash. Gotta shave some things on the dash sheetmetal and fit the column.

[​IMG]

7. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

The speedo is mechanical (of course my 4L60E is setup for an electric speedo) and the fuel, oil, amp and temp are all electric. There is also a small relay or something on the back of the cluster with IGN stamped into it. No idea what that does either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I bought replacements but they didn't fit very well, they took some work to get them to fit right.

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks man. Hopefully you can get your car together for this years contest, maybe we'll see it in there.

10. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Anyone have advice on hooking up my gauges? They are 6v positive ground and I want to make them work with a 12v system.

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

bump, help me with my gauges!

12. IGNition?

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

:D Your ride is looking so cool, goes to show what can be done with something different. Lots of very cool work in the chopped top, the Kaiser makes one very cool cruiser.

CRUISER :cool:

14. James427

James427
    BANNED

I just found one of these about 5 miles from my house for $500. You've got me thinKing REAL HARD NOW DAMMIT!

15. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

This post made my day, awesome job!

16. Back in maybe the late 70's or early 80's there was a Kaiser on the cover of Hot Rod. I saw that one at the big car show in Springfield MO. Was about the coolest damn car I ever saw. I think it was painted orange .. maybe ...

17. henryj429

henryj429

For a tidy sum (ie: lots of money) Classic Instruments will re-do your entire cluster to work with your late-model mechanicals. They will put in an electronic speedo that takes input directly from your VSS and you can even have a "check engine" light. They due a fantastic job and you even get a 10% HAMB discount. The cost will probably scare you, but your car will be worth huge $ when its done, so it would be worth it.

Congrats on your fine work to date - the project probably feels like a bottomless pit for time, but man you are going to have one awesome ride when its done!

18. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

thanks for the updates. i love that car.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Stupendous.

20. joes54woodchevy

joes54woodchevy

Kooool I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Crease

Crease

Way too cool!

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

very skilled, with lots of imagination. good work.

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks for the tip, but unless its a sponsorship deal I'm not putting big dollar items on this car. I might be able to get some gauges from Autometer and retrofit them in to the stock gauge cluster reusing the faces. The stock gauges pop right out and leave a clean 2" hole to mount a new gauge, easy money.

Do you have a Henry J? That very well may be my next build.

24. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

dude, you're fearless! awesome

25. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

I just love it!....very nice work...!!!

26. BJR

BJR

That relay on the back of the instrument cluster may be a voltage regulator for the gages. Does it go to all the electric gages in the cluster? If so put a 12 volt to 6 volt reducer in front of it and use the stock Kaiser sensors and see if it works. Good Luck and GREAT project!! Brian

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Got the floor and roof insulated and I'm almost done with the Painless (?) wiring. Big thanks to Mike at www.lobucrod.com for sponsoring me on the insulation. He sells a good product and I know it has gotten good reviews here on the HAMB. He is also an Alliance vendor and the insulation is American made. So far I have been able to put all American made parts on my car - something that is very important to me.

[​IMG]
    By ntaphse

[​IMG]

28. This thing is going to be, hell it already is, beautiful...it's so weird for the last week or so I have been pondering the kaisers and stumbled on this thread...now I am motivated to find a decent one...you fab skills are impressive...I really like the subtle frenching of the license plate...very very nice ride

29. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Congratulations,nice to see something that's not a belly button car.Clearly a ton of work,great design and execution,that windshield looks neat with the chop too.

30. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

man i really dig this car, it takes alot of vision to take what you had and turn it into something so visually appealing, bravo man