Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sharing some Desoto hemi info-finally got it running decent!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurts49plym, Aug 30, 2008.

1. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Thought I would share my info with the hot rodders of Hamb:D. After dinking around with my newly rebuilt 55 291 desoto hemi, it seems to be running like a top:)! It's a .060 over balanced 9.1 compression engine. Really, bone stock with stock, reground egge? cam. I mounted a 4x2 Weiand intake, but decided I didn't want to pay the big bucks for 4 strombergs or holley 91s?. I purchased offenhauser adapters from vintage speed, and mounted 4 rochester "baby" 1 bbls. These are the smaller bore chevy 6 cylinder 216 carbs. I had them dipped with gold zinc plating and put them on. Then the carbs were rebuilt. I struggled for many hours trying to get the system to run. First I decided I would run just on the middle two, then kick in the other two with progressive linkage. The engine would not idle, and had poor responsiveness. Today, I hooked all the linkages together and ran all carbs together. Still, would not idle down, and would die-running too lean. Then, as a last ditch effort, I pulled out all the stops:confused:. While leaving all 4 carbs running in unison, I cranked out all idle mixtures screws out on all 4 carbs almost 4 turns. INCREDIBLE!:D The beast idles down at 600 rpm and just purrs! Talk about responsive! When I sit and rev the linkage the engine just revs fast-with no hesitation. Talk about a happy rodder. I just wanted to share this as many people think these intakes are race only. However, it's all in the way one sets them up. Thanks for reading and I hope you found this useful.:rolleyes: Kurt

Attached Files:

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If I ever get my 291 together I'm gonna run 2-97's on my Edmunds 2x2. Hopefully they will be enough carb for it.

What trans are you using?

3. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I have a borg warner 4 speed using a wilcap adapter, aluminum flywheel and 57 chevy bellhousing. I didn't know Edmunds made a 2x2 for destoto 291. Wow, sounds like the ultimate setup. If only someone could make a couple manifolds for the desoto hemi (VIC EDELBROCK-ARE YOU OUT THERE:D?) Are you able to load a pic of your manifold? I think you setup would be perfect with a couple 97s. I couldn't find any manifolds except this one so I bought it. Kurt

4. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I'm gonna try this on my .060 over 291.I'll run a 700r or 350 with a quickie out back.
    Block is just now finished and am waiting on my heads and crank.

Attached Files:

5. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Are those 2 carbs new repos? They look really nice. Your 2 2bbls look pretty cool!

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Here's my manifold. It's made for stock mopar 4 bolt carbs but I'm going to make some adapter plates to bolt the 97's on with.

Attached Files:

7. 4tford

4tford

Nice looking hemi! It is a good feeling liting the fire on an old hemi especially when you get them to run as you expect. Big valve covers and mutiple carbs it dose not get any better than that. Now enjoy it.

8. sport fury

sport fury

do you have any info on what year and engines these carbs come from? do these carbs have a manual power valve or a vacuum power valve? i was not able to find the carb adapter on vitage speeds site. can you give a link to this adapter?