Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA's Vote for the Favorite Race Car Ever Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I normally would not post anything like this, but I came across this the other night on nhra.com........They had a series of voting contest and are now down to the final vote.....I voted for the Stone,Woods and Cook Willy's as my favorite race car of all time....And would love to see them win...... out of all of them they were the first to campaign for a living, the deck was stacked against them since the owners were of color...but with Doug Cook and Ray Cook behind the wheel.....they helped to set the Standard for all others that followed...sure some of the others are cool and did some great stuff, no arguing what Garlits did and the many Exhibition type cars like the Wing Express did.....and continue to do....But when I think of the Stone,Woods and Cook team....The term class act comes to mind.....So vote if you have time or think its worthy....and vote for who you like....just thought I would say why I voted for who I did....I also mentioned this because as you go down the page theirs some great reading!!!!...if you are into this kind of stuff and history.....Littleman
    vote here
    http://www.nhra.com/insidedragster.asp

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Read your first couple lines and 2 immediately came to mind, Pure Hell and Winged Express. Judging by the winged express's current lead, they shoulda included Pure Hell. Good link!

3. RTrimmer

RTrimmer

The final list from which one can coose leaves out "Ohio George" Montgomery... He campaigned the famous '33 Willys - two of them - and a couple of impressive Mustangs... The MALCO Gasser and the Mr.Gasket... An accomplished engineer, George contributed much to the sport. In all actuality it is difficult to vote and choose a favorite... Not an easy task. These guys are all bad asses.

4. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I've been following that series of polls. Haven't voted yet though. I'm partial to the Winged Express, (what can I say, I like altereds) and the Jungle Jim Vega. They were both top notch showmen, plus I've seen the cars run. SWC are right up there, I just never saw them in person.

Phil Burgess has done a good job in that column. It's gotten pretty popular now that it's mostly about drag racing history.

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I love them all!!!.......But I look at The SWC Willy's more historically than others when it comes to full bodied racecars.....If memory serves me right, Ray Cook was running in the 8.70's in the Willy's ......he also raced the SWC Mustang........Really the record books tell the tail for all of them....Littleman

6. The car that possibly won more drag races than any in history, the Greer-Black-Prudhomme dragster, ain't on that list ? :(

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Garlits... Prudhomme.. SWC.. Big John Mazmanian.. Sox and Martin.. Jungle Jim.. Dick Landy.. Ivo.. George Montgomery.. I could go on.

Lots of names / teams / cars to choose from, not sure I can pick a favorite!

8. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I loved the Gasser Wars, had George made it in I would have had to vote for him.

9. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

Stone - Woods - Cook

10. I can't believe that all the Gasser guys on this board wouldn't vote for S-W-C. I ran a gasser in the 60's, and maybe would like to see my old pal Garlits higher on the vote, but Gasser Guys Gotts stick together.

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

What can I say, I voted for the Winged Express...... We place some of the great drivers / owners on a pedastal and wait many years for the chance meeting. One person on the list, who is very famous, however; will remain nameless, I should never had a chance meeting a few years ago. We should never meet our hero's ! Now saying this, Mousie and Mike Boyd are great people and have all the time in the world to talk and share a few stories.... "Fuel Altereds", a hand gernade on wheels as written by Steve Gibbs!!!!!

Some day we just may see "Hellzapopin" and the list ?

12. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

13. Jeez, what a list! I need 10 votes, but had to go Winged Express!!!!-MIKE:cool:

14. Yeah........what he said!:confused:

15. As of 7am...S-W-C Willys has moved to the #1 spot. Gasser Guys keep voting, the finish line is getting closer.

16. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

As long as Rich is pimping the SWC Willys, I don't feel bad about doing the same for the Winged Expess. It's still alive and going strong. Long live the fuel altereds!

Remember...vote early, vote often.

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Had to vote for the Winged Express, partly because of the bravado and skill of Willy B I suppose, but it's hard to mentally separate the car and the man. Intresting list but it appears the cream is rising to the top. SWC and WE are far and away the leaders.

18. Brewton

Brewton

I'm partial to the GBP dragster, because I love nitro! I can't believe the left it off the list!

19. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

It finished 4th in the early dragster vote so it never made the final round of this race. Great car. Unbeatable for, a year or two. The Winged Express was a living legend for years though. Still is.

Final results: all-time favorite Early Dragster

The Freight Train 725 (19.02%)
    Beebe & Mulligan’s Fighting Irish 639 (16.76%)
    Don Garlits’ Swamp Rat VI 447 (11.73%)
    Greer-Black-Prudhomme 433 (11.36%)
    Tommy Ivo’s Showboat 294 (7.71%)
    The Surfers 251 (6.58%)
    Don Garlits’ Swamp Rat I 239 (6.27%)
    Eddie Hill’s Double Dragon 207 (5.43%)
    Flamin’ Frank Pedregon’s Fiat 133 (3.49%)
    Baney-Pink-Prudhomme 95 (2.49%)
    The Frantic Four 94 (2.47%)
    Speed Sport Roadster 91 (2.39%)
    Arfons Bros. Green Monster 61 (1.60%)
    The Glass Slipper 41 (1.08%)
    Stellings and Hampshire 39 (1.02%)
    Winkle & Trapp MagiCar 23 (0.60%)

20. As of this posting, S-W-C Willys now has a 500 vote margin.....Real Gassers Rule!!!!