Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel stripes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatcrazy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

I have seen a wheel striping display both at Hershey and Carlilse using a Beugler style striper but attached to a rotating arm. Doe's anyone have a contact.

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Try their website, www.beugler.com. They seem to have any info you might want.

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I think his name is Corkin or Corkins.
    I had a flyer at one time, it would be a miracle if I could find it.

4. Here's a couple of pictures of one that a HAMBer designed awhile back.Don't remember who it was but it looked like such a good idea I copied the pictures.Hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

Attached Files:

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

That's a cool setup^^^^. I have done wheels with that stripe tool and did them free hand just with the little legs that come with the tool. If you screw up, wash with prepsol and try again.

A real pin stripe guy can do them with a brush if you mount each wheel on a front spindle.

Frank

6. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I am a striper, and I HATE doing wheels! In fact I don't think I have ever met a striper that likes doing em! as soon as you put them on a spindle and they wobble a 1/4 inch you might as well wash it off! I like the beugler idea a lot. keep us informed.

7. I used to do a lot of wheels(and hubcaps for Rolls-Royce cars)and haven't had many problems.The last couple of cars I've done were pre-WW1 cars with artillery style wheels that not only had stripes on the outer rim and hubs but spokes as well.Luckily the cars were suspended on a lift and the brakes were backed off thanks to the owners.

Sometimes you get drag on the rears through the differential.I usually run the wheels around several times to find potential drag spots and start my stripes just after that spot.

A couple of problems I've found are:the junk people use for tire dressing usually gets on the wheels and is near impossible to remove.That and where the stripe intersects the valve stem.

A good idea is to use a Stabilo or similar marker and drag a line around the perimeter to make sure the line comes together at the joining point.Makes life much easier.

The two worst ones I've done were:A 1934 Packard roadster that has FOUR stripes(2 pairs actually)on each wheel.It also has the same layout on the body but that particular car had already been lined.I have another one coming up this winter.

The other was my own car;the hubcaps.I had painted in the silver streaks on the hood with a rainbow pattern and decided to duplicate it on the hubcaps.For these,because they are such a PITA to install,I wound up doing them in my lap.I drew the lines on first with a Stabilo and just followed the lines.A picture is enclosed.There are EIGHT stripes spaced about an eighth inch apart.I actually wound up doing TWO sets of 5 of these;one has the ivory center color and the other the turquoise.I was going to change them off occasionally but wound up putting one set on my wall.

One thing to remember when striping over metal or glass:use a product called,"No Touch Glass Stripper" to clean before painting.It is used for removing Rain-X from windshields and removes all contaminants.Wash with a non ammoniated glass cleaner after using the No Touch to remove any residue.The stripes on my wheel covers have been on well over ten years and have yet to chip or peel.

Attached Files:

• 19ec.jpg
      19ec.jpg
      File size:
      27.1 KB
      Views:
  8. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

Thanks everyone!! I located Corkins Automotive Restorations who was selling the wheel striper.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Here's a couple of pictures of one that a HAMBer designed awhile back.Don't remember who it was but it looked like such a good idea I copied the pictures.Hope he doesn't mind me posting it."

Not a bit, safariknut. I'm flattered somebody actually thought enough of it to keep the pics !

10. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

got any update pics