Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey, Hey! 1st of the Month **AUGUST Banger Meet**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Aug 1, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hey thanks,...much appreciated!

Yeah lots more to still do, but its a solid foundation to finish up on.

2. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Jason, Niiice! I think you should keep it bare metal! That is one clean elegantly simple little rod.:cool: By the way, how did the '32 shocks work out?

3. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, I actually decided to go and just run the Model A shocks,....BUT, when I ordered the shocks from M&S Hydraulics, I got them in and was pretty bummed out to find that when I threw some bolts though the holes, put them in a vise, took a big long wrench and pu it on the post that gets the arm, I then pushed and pulled on them to get ready to adjust the tension,....
    well, what i found is that the tension is nothing more than 50/50 rather than 60/40 as they SHOULD be!!:(

All the hassle I went though to get them, they had problems running my credit card because the bank wanted them to confirm the charge because i dont use the card,..pretty much at all, and so on,..it took over a week JUST to get that all worked out,...then several days WITH a price problem where they charged more than they advertised!!:confused:

Horrible!!!

So, I just ran nothign to the show,..for now that is,....it REALLY needs them though because on the way home I went over a little hill and coming over it there was this hump you didn't see untill you were right over it and I swear it must have looked to people like a Laurel and Hardey movie with me hitting it and the A practically flying up in the air as I went over it.
    Scared the SH$T out of me!!! I pulled over and checked everything out to make sure I didn't bust a spring or something!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    HA!

4. Coaltown writes of the interest of the "young guys" at the car show. My 16 year old grandson helps me with my RPU and when he goes to school his friends are in awe as they don't have cars that they can work on. I took him to a local shopping center parking lot so he could learn to drive my Lakes Modified. When he came to a street and had to turn around a few of his friends were across the street and couldn't believe their eyes. I let him take it to the "Cruise in" in Victorville last Thursday.
    Any way this weekend we installed a set of dual pipes on my RPU. They are just wired in place. We are installing hangers tomorrow. You should have seen his face when he started it up for his mom and dad. I mean there is nothing as cool sounding as dual glass packs on a 4 barrel engine idling with a SU1R cam. Also cool was the smile on that kids face when he started it up!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  5. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Jason,

There are a number of other rebuilders out there if you ever decide to use the 32s. I had mine rebuilt by a guy in Colorado. He was recommended by a Model A restorer near me.

As a kid I uesd to love those woop de doos, but not sure I'd want to experience them your way!:eek:

If I get out to PA soon, I might try to look you up, would love to see the car.:D

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

yep, i just found out about the guy in CO. I'm calling him now,..these crappy MS shocks are going back!

7. Are the MS shocks the ones that cannot be rebuilt? As I posted earlier I bought a rebuilt set outright. There was a delay but I felt it was worth the wait to get a set that can be rebuilt later if necessary. I did have to shorten the links because of reversed eye springs.

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

All I know is they are the made in USA ones and Ihave no idea of the rebuildableness of them to be honest...

9. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I have to share this,...

'cause I'm proud to have such an awesome wife....

My own little "Veda Orr" did an over 30 hour thrash on the roadster with us and I think might have had more perma-dirt under her fingernails than all of us! Amazing wife!

Taking a break to eat a bit of breakfast at about 6:30AM after working in my buddy's garage after about 30 hours, since we painted the inside of the body there....
    [​IMG]

On the flip side,....there's, "all cleaned up and at the beach!"...
    well "beach" photoshoot that is!
    [​IMG]

Inspiration on both sides of the coin!

10. If the M&S shocks are the repro ones stocked by all the Model 'A' places then run a mile!!

Expensive and junk! If they work now, I can gurantee you they won't be working in 6 weeks time thats if they have actually held together that long!

The old timer in Colorado IS the guy to go too. Theres a big waiting list at the best of times but when I enquired about a set he had just come out of hospital and there was something like a 12-18 month waiting list... :eek:

11. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

whoa! that long!!!!??

supposedly there's two guys in colorado,...wow,...that wait would be horrible! I'm gonna have to check around and see if anyone in the local Model A clubs has any extras i can buy off them??

12. Check out Bert's in Denver!

13. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

The guy I used in Colorado was Robert Paul. I haven't mounted or tested the shocks yet, but I haven't heard any negatives yet and he came highly recommended! He also has reasonable rates and very amicable.
    Phone: 719.478.5102

14. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

i'll give them a call,....they sent me lousy rear axles though,...said they'd pick two nice ones,...they're really worn bad where the axle seal ride,...REAL bad!

I called Robert,...yeah he's behind,..nice guy though. we'll see....

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

We have a list of 25 Bangers & HAMB shirts so far. Sure would like to see more before I talk to Ryan about starting production.
    So far this design is most popular
    [​IMG]

16. 36Brua

36Brua

1 XL will work for me thnks for working this up. BA

17. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Nice shirts put me down for one in a Medium please.:D

18. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I'll take a large of the cut away.:eek::cool:

19. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

T-Shirts!!!

I'll need 2 Large and 2 XL

bring on the

Bangers & HAMB! "They're not just for breakfast anymore!"

Keven

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  20. easyrider47

easyrider47

Put me down for a 2XL of which ever design. Also, for Just Plain Bill, what dual outlet header did you use on your roadster pickup? I've heard bad stuff about Red's headers and his is the only dual outlet I've seen.

21. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Put me down for 1 xl.

22. It is a Red's header purchased while Red was still operating the company. It would seem to me that they should have fixed their problems by now. Haven't heard anything lately. I thought that AC&R were making some. Also, you might check with Sac. Vintage Ford. I had to spend quite of bit of time smoothing the draw marks out before plating but I think you will find that with most off the shelf headers. I would put it this way, if I bought a set of headers and they needed to be reworked slightly to make them fit I would go for it because the cost of having a set scratch built can be very high. One guy that builds headers for off road Jeeps quoted me a price of $900 for a set, exactly 1/2 of what he gets for a set for a Jeep.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  23. easyrider47

easyrider47

Thanks Bill, I checked with AC&R and they show them in their catalog for overhead or flathead. When I talked to them they told me they make their own headers.

24. Initially they had problems with the tubes kinking at the flange but said that problem would be corrected. If they are not welded on the outside I would do so as you may have to grind some out of the inside (or engine side) to match the ports . The local welding shop charges $20 to run a bead around the tubing. I match the intake to the header plate and the block using the same 1 piece gasket that I use to match exhaust.

25. easyrider47

easyrider47

To Chris and CoaltownKid: I looked back and as near as I can tell, you both contacted me about my old Mallory the same day. Anyway, I'm not trying to play any favorites, so I'm just going to keep it and maybe someday I will do something with it. I don't know either of you guys, and I'm not playing favorites, I think you both have real nice hot rods, and I don't want to be the schmuck here, so to be fair, I'll just hang on to it. I'm sorry if I caused any hard feelings, that wasn't my intentions. Mike

26. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

That's IT! You officially SUCK!!:p

HA! I'm kidding of course,...(lol!)

That's cool no big deal,...I was just totally confused my your Pm's to me at this point! HA! I hope it all comes together for you with your banger.

27. Easyrider: Thats a great attitude to have. Let Coaltownkid have it, I will find another and I will have no hard feelings on anything.

28. Gaters

Gaters

OK, before I go into what might seem to be a rant, I love the concept and the idea of a Bangers and HAMB t-shirt. I don't know if the design is all that it could be.

I want 2 XL and 1 L.

I don't know much about silk screen but will this photo reproduce like you'd expect it to. There's a lot of detail in that motor. Not saying it cannot be done just don't know how the gradation of the shading will work out in silk screen. Seems like a cool line drawing and bitchin font design would pep it up a bit to make it more traditional. Plus the silk screen will last longer and look better as it's washed and aged.

Have you ever bought a t-shirt that has a large concentration of print material (ink?) in one area on the back of the shirt. It's like having a piece plastic on your back which becomes hot and sticky, ugh!:eek: This is my own pet peeve but I bet a lot of you experience the same result.

Why don't you hand the idea over to the Friday Night Art crowd and get not one bitchin design but a whole sheet load of ideas from that crowd. I'd bet they'd love to design something, especially if it benefits the HAMB. They can put it up for vote and pick the winning design at the end. Plus, you might get a few more takers outside the Monthly Banger crowd. There's some of the best artist in this place, we should ask for their assistance.

Personally I think it should read HAMB and Bangers. Firstly, HAMB should get top billing. Secondly, the word Ham always precedes the coordinated food. Ham & Cheese, Pork & Beans, Ham & Eggs. The only time ham comes after is Green Eggs & Ham and well...that's Dr. Zeus (nuf said). HAMB (ham) & Bangers (English weiner).:)

My thoughts.

Gaters

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The design does need some tinkering and by all means is not finalized. You bring up some good points and the idea of giving it to the "Art crowd" is a great one.
    As Ryan has decided to be responsable for the production, I was going to differ to his experiance on the tweeks needed to finalize the design. After all, he is making sure that the HAMB's integrity is maintained
    When we get enough people signed up for shirts, I will contact Ryan with the list and suggest giving the art to the Art crowd and see if he likes that idea.

Thanks for the input.
    :)

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I was using the So Cal HAMB BBQ shirt that Bad Bob did as insporation for the Banger shirt.
    I liked the way it turned out that I thought this would work the same way.

This was his art:
    [​IMG]

This is how the shirt turned out:

[​IMG]

I've worn the shirt a bunch and it isn't too hot.