Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Looks killer there JOSH, keep up the great work. Good thing the soon to be is'nt the jealous type or Ms. Port would have an ass kicking coming.. Cya soon Ryan

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Picture of a "flat tail" Sprinter thats at Richcraft Mikes Shop.. Very complete car!

[​IMG]

And.. here she is. The "Bowles Ranger" frame back from the chrome shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JD

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another from the Dennis Unger collection. A very young JR at Duquoin in 1963.

[​IMG]

4. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Great shot of the Rufus Gray owned Gapco Chevy, later driven by Mario Andretti. Notice the rare Goodyear "I" tread rears. Also notice the horseshoe hanging by a chain on the front rock screen. It was suppose to swing around and knock built up dirt off of the screen.

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Mac. I thought it was the old Gapco from the '83,' but I knew somebody like you would confirm it. I remember Mario in that car at Salem and Dayton.

6. Freddy Agabashian in the 1952 pole sitter. The first turbo charged engine at Indy

Attached Files:

7. Jim Rarhmann leads Roger Ward to the finish of the 1960 race. They ran like this, trading the lead back and forth, for the last 80 laps of the race. God those roadsters are gorgeous. Just like drag racing, putting the engines behind the driver ruined the look of the cars. IMO

Attached Files:

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Josh, Thank's again for the invite on Sat. can't wait to see the final stages of progress on the RANGER, keep me posted, please.. Ryan

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I have read, and heard rumors that While the Diesel's were fast at Indy.. They were also given a HUGE weight break.. Like 400 pounds!

Can anyone comment on that? Roy? Mac Miller?.. I know one of you guys will know the facts!

JD

10. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Pretty cool old Jalopy's.

Wonder what other old race cars that guy has?

Thanks for showing them.

JD

12. Buildy

Buildy

The Cummins Diesel Spl was very front heavy and wore front tires out quickly. Same problem plagued the Front wheel drive Novi.
    Although the very fast 1952 Cummins Diesel Spl that sat on the pole was knocked out of the race when the turbo inlet screen plugged up with rubber and junk from the track.

The Diesels were allowed a much larger Cu in displacement than the Offies and other conventional engines.

http://www.shorey.net/Auto/American/1952%20indy 500 - freddie agabashian (cummins diesel).jpg

Here is the Cummins Diesel at indy story:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/0808dp_cummins_diesel_race_car/index.html

Just check out the size of that diesel-Huge!

http://images.dieselpowermag.com/fe...mins_diesel_at_the_indy_500+1950_indy_500.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  13. Buildy

Buildy

indybigjohn-Thanks for posting photo of JR with the Rufus Gray Sprinter-this stuff is so cool!

14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Any body have any detail pics of the roll bar mounting area? I am looking at different ways to mount it, removable or welded solid. The only advantage I see of it being removable is the ability to have it chromed. Looks like a lot of the champ cars had it welded solid as part of the frame.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not only for chroming, but for replaceability when it got bent up:eek:
    There was a time when owners/builders may have placed a higher priority on being able to fix a car easily than driver safety. Anyway most that I have seen were similar to these pics. Not real detailed, but its pretty straightfoward, pretty much like nerf bar mounting, only in a vertical plane.

BTW- JMO, but the #5 with J.R. up, pretty much nails the look of a 60s midget.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Buildy.. I think what you said is what I read. Not a wieght break, but a Cubic Inch break. Thanks!

As for roll bar mounts..

This is all I found for right now.. If you need better stuff I can shoot ya some pics tomorrow. I mounted it on a 3" wide flage sticking out 3". I then welded a HUGE nut inside the rollbar after it was bent. That way it bolts up from the bottom with one bolt on each side. Like Rooty said, maybe not real safe but you can chrome it, and re-create it easily. The "tie" bar going back at an angle down to the rear frame rail or sometimes rear bumper is the key to making it study, Which I recomend! Every person that gets in dads car grabs the roll bar and braces them self with it.

[​IMG]

JD

17. QUESTION- Did Halibrand ever make a six-slot wheel? Or was it only Nance

Magnesium of course

18. trs1941

trs1941

Hey,
    I have a qestion Iam a yongster but i have heard so many stories from my grandpa and some of his friends. Anyway he was a mechanic for Fleetwood racing out of Bloomington IN. I was wondering if any one had any stories, and if anyone had any pics of the old F800 sprint car. Thanks
    Adam

Jared Zike likes this.
  19. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

20. trs1941

trs1941

Thanks circletrack40. I was wondering has anybody ever heard of the rocking chair special it is my understanding that bob fleetwood owned it as well and that it was the car that Bob Kinser started in. But this is all seconded hand and unfortionatlly I dont have my main source to go to anymore. Thanks,
    Adam

21. jimg12

jimg12

I saw a F800 run at Mitchel, In. in 1959. It was not a Sprint car as well as I remember but what we called a super Modified [rail fram with a coupe body]. It had a Chevy engine in it.. It had Zoomy pipes on it [4 seperate pipes on each side]. It was very fast and I think Bob Kinser was driving. It was Red and White. It was at the 1/4 mile track that was built into a side of a hill. Email me, I think I know someone who might know more.
    Jim Graybeal
    [email protected]

22. weightjacker

weightjacker
    from indy

Rocking Chair Special was sponsored by McDaniels Furniture store in Bloomington IN and was wrenched by Galen Fox at one time. You need to Call FOXCO in Indy. He'll know the story.

23. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

headin' to the "BURG" on Sat. any takers?

24. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Jim, Shelbyville, Ky? Graybeal? You must be related to the late Bernie Graybeal. I was the promotor at the 'burg when Bernie raced there.
    Carroll Hamilton

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Jim Graybeal? I remember you when I was flagging the UMRA TQs.

26. jimg12

jimg12

Yes, Bernie was my cousin. Went to the Burg a lot with him over the years. Drove my only Sprint car there. Drove for Danny Smith. Yes John I remember you well. John did you know Ray Gross is still living?
    I have a 1986 Gambler Silver Crown car that I take to some of the vintage shows. It was the Coors Lite Silver Bullet that Vogler drove when it was new. I really enjoy this thread. I go way back as my Dad owned the Southern Star Sprint car that is on the cover of The Rim Ridders book.
    Jim Graybeal

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for remembering, Jim. Glad to hear about Ray Gross. He and Bob Chapman got me into the TQs, and I loved it. That's where I first did the crossover for the lineup that we later used in ASA. As a matter of fact, it was our photographer, Wayne Doebling of Cincinnati, who first suggested it during a pre-race meeting at I-70. Rex Robbins said we needed something to "jazz" the show up, and Wayne said, "Hey, John, how about the UMRA crossover?" We did it, and the rest is history. I first saw Vandewater do it with the USAC midgets in the 50s.

During my UMRA days, there was many a night I thought I was gonna wear one of those little devils home, particularly after they put the cages on 'em. What was Rick's last name who drove the Bobby Lowe car? When he went to the outside on the crossover, he used to love tossing the car to pick up the left front, and let it pass right over my left toe. Some nights I went home with a black mark on my white sneaker.

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Jim...the Southern Star? Was it the same car driven by The Kentucky Colonel, Bert Hellmueller, in IMCA?

29. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Jim Hurtubise in the Sterling Plumbing Special.

[​IMG]