Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid question - don't hate me...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vegas paul, Aug 26, 2008.

1. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

First of all, I am only educated in Studebakers, so please forgive my ignorance of the remainder of the classics, but...

What is the origin of the term "Belly button" cars and/or engines when referring to SBCs and others? Am I the only one who doesn't get this joke or jab?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment, and I will bravely accept all comments/criticisms about my ignorance...

2. Everybody has one

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Do you mean like "Belly button" cars, everyone has one.

4. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

Got it, thanks. Makes sense. Kind of like "Opinions are alike assholes... every one has one and most of them stink"

5. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Well we'll forgive you since you are a Studebaker guy.:D And they certainly aren't bellybutton cars.;)

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Good question and not stupid at all. But hope your aren't thinking of putting an SBC in your Studebaker. I am sure you aren't right?

7. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

wait a second, i don't have a bellybutton...

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't believe Studes qualify for the belly button tag. There's not enough of them. To me the belly buttons are the glass 32-34 fords, especially highboy 32 roadsters, they all look the same. there must be millions of them.

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

Whew!...........I guess that leaves my '35 all steel car out of that dreadful category.

10. It was more polite than calling them asshole motors.

11. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

Nope - no SBC in my Stude. Original power plant (Flathead 6) modified enough to officially be H.A.M.B material. Dual carbs on Weind manifold, dual exhaust into 2 Flowmaster 40s, High compression aluminum head (Offenhauser), ported/polished for 1.5" valves, (1.25" originally), more agressive cam, and converted to 12V.

Thanks everyone for the education. Since my last build was a Corvair Spyder convertible, I guess I am definately not a belly button kind of builder.

12. Is that your Starlite Coupe in your avatar?I've always thought the Studebaker Starlite coupes were the neatest car of their era. My parents had a couple of them, one of them was their first new car when I was a toddler. My dad said that's the only car available just after the war that they hadn't jacked the price up on. Yours sounds like is definitely not a belly button car.

13. 47studes

47studes

want some more studes 2 47 m5 trucks

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Wait a minuet, I have a Chevy in a Stude. Does this mean I'm a bad guy? Don't forget I have a Packard in a Chevy. Will they balance out?

15. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

Vintagehotrods - Yes, that's my Stude in the avatar. It's a 51 Biz Coupe, not a Starlight Coupe. Even cooler thatn the Starlight, the Biz Coupe has only a front seat, shorter cab, and looooong trunk deck.

16. Abomination

Abomination

Send in the clones...

~Jason

17. boldventure

boldventure

Sometimes a blown engine isn't a bad thing...Stude in a Stude...
    Avanti blower on a Hawk, just something to think about.

Attached Files:

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds about even to me I guess :)

But just wanted to ask and possibly suggest if thinking of going to an SBC, the Stude V8's are pretty killer motors, especially when compared to SBC's. See above for one example.

However, I am putting a 392 hemi in one of my trucks, so who am I to criticize. But, I would still take a Stude V8 over a SBC in a Stude any day of the week.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008