Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Intakes and exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

seems like a U fab could be made by YOU! or me, they dont look too hard to build. Getting them to run good may be harder. How about mating a manifold off of another make engine. As rare and expensive as these things are, i,m gonna look into using another manifold and using spacers to match ports, cut out a stocker, or make my own U fab. I have a Desoto so I 'really' have a problem. I have seen a Ford fuel injection manifold on a Desoto, this guy had adapted it, Ive checked the intake gaskets from a ford [351w] and the ports are close, but the heads are offset opposite from a Chrysler. so I,m still looking for an intake to adapt.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

:D Hello..Ijust finished this log 4x2 intake form gear-drive..I had to have it welded up..Just finished primer and paint..Linkage was built befor paint..I already had the 97s built..
    duane:cool:

Attached Files:

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. panic

panic

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you who haven't been following the thread on the DeSoto Hemi intake manifold development, have another look. This thing has come a long ways! It's the link above this post from 38 mopar fan...

9. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Here's the one my buddy built for his 276 Desoto...Really Nice....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here are a couple..392..241..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

new pics posted

Here's my stock 2bbl intake thats been port matched.
    Can't afford the rare Weiands or the Charlie Price unit.....

Attached Files:

12. 73RR

73RR

...been there, done that, got the t-shirt.....lots of folks will claim interest until you ask them to show the money needed to fund the project (unless you have alot of discretionary funds...). Design time, programming time and machine time all at about $80-100/hour.

13. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Tell me about the money needed, then start adding the unknowns like getting a running motor, Travel, Dyno effort chasing your tail, I didn’t ask for money up front because I knew that wouldn’t work just took a gamble. Don’t knowif that will pay off but learnt a bucket load of stuff, had some fun along the way and proved to myself I could bring a mew manifold to the market. Just pleased I have a full time job to pay for it.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. dcroadsters

dcroadsters
    from USA

heres one i built out of stainless

Attached Files:

16. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I'll throw my hat in the ring too... I can build them for red ram- desoto- chrysler and cadillac Looking to do Y block and olds soon... Check um out @ www.lakeheaders.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

18. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here are just a few..I also throw my hat into the mix..
    Duane.:D

Attached Files:

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked with you awhile back when I was thinking of doing a U-fab style intake for one of my Chryslers (before picking up an NOS Offy 6x2) and I wanted to extend my "thanks" again for your help and time. I feel bad I didn't order one, but the only reason I didn't was because I found that other one. I've seen your work and it's fantastic! Keep up the good work and thanks for providing a good quality product! :cool:

20. I was surfing around E-bay today and came across this manifold....I won't post the link since it's probably not kosher...but here's a couple of the pics and a brief description....It's for the low deck Desoto motors and takes a factory 2bbl manifold and hogs it out and then bolts on a 4bbl manifold plate...seems like a neat solution to a common problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 73RR

73RR

...sure would like to see under the carb spacer...

22. George

George

I'll 2nd that!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here is a 3x2 low deck Desoto from New Zeland..Extreamly nice intake.
    Duane..:eek:

Attached Files:

25. Hey guys thought I might share some pics and learn something.

Got this attached to a 1955 331 that I picked up a few months ago thanks to a heads up from a fellow Hamber. It was a good deal on the engine and I was suprised to find this was included with it.:eek: and some custom made carb addapters. :eek::eek: What a nice supprise!

I have been looking for and searching google and the HAMB for some pics and info on it.
    I see plenty pics of 2x2 Edmunds but not one like this 2x4, no real info.:confused:

These have been mentioned quite a few times in the text but only in passing. No real info on performance, rare-ity (sp) or value or any cool old speed magazine adds for it.

Unless it something that should be in a glass case or finance my nephews education I would like to run it and find some Edmunds air cleaners and valve covers to match. But I only see 2 brl. air cleaners?:confused: probably going to use Obrian Truckers' Valve covers they look like the Edmunds.

If you can help with some info great, if not enjoy!
    (wrong photo date stamp)
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

26. George

George

I've seen @ least 1 on EBay. Don't remember what it went for. Being a wet intake, it's for the 51-3 oval ex port heads, I'd assume. Possibly for the truck heads, but less likely.

27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've seen one of those modified intakes under the adapter, and I can say that the guy does a good job. He elongates the holes in the intake to be as high flowing as possible while not screwing up the dual plane aspect of it, and it looks like it would work at least as well as a stock 4 bbl intake.

28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

By the way, he's doing the same thing with Dodge Red Ram and Desoto intakes.

29. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have done the low deck Dodge and Desoto, as well as tall deck Desoto and the 51-53 Chrysler 331. The Dodge and Chrysler can currently be seen on that auction site.

There is one way to see under my carb adapters. Buy one. ;) But seriously, I do have some pictures taken during the building process. Somewhere. But I would rather spend my time making parts than taking pictures. I know what I make, and I know what I sell, and I do not have a problem with either. I'm sorry if some do.

The fact is, I am offering an affordable alternative to a hard to find $500-600 intake manifold. Dont get me wrong, I think all the new early hemi intakes are great. But......there are alot of people who dont want or need a more expensive, aluminum intake. What they want is an affordable 4bbl.

For those who might truely be interested, these intakes are not actually "hogged out" and an adapter bolted on the top. It would be alot easier to make one big hole under there, but thats not the case.

All the intakes I do are left true dual plane. The low deck Dodge and Desoto have the crossover passage welded shut (in the flanges), as there is no way not to get into the carb heat area located in the original carb base. Some of these intakes have epoxy in them. Sorry, but there is no way around it. I state that very clearly in my ads. If that scares someone, then I prefer they dont buy one from me.

The adapter plate on the low Desoto is bolted using the original 2bbl carb mount pattern. Same with the Chrysler. I just designed a second style cnc machined adapter to use on the low decks. (slightly different than the one shown on here). Any questions, please email me directly. I might even be able to find those pictures. :D

Have a nice day.

30. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Here's something I didn't expect. I have an Offy 8x2 that I plan on running. When I mocked it up on the motor it became very clear that my stock distributor hits. Solutions? Is the HEI Joe hunt Narrower?