Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Banger trans swap.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Hi Pierre!
    That's a good question, but I'm not able to help you all the way. :confused: I myself is a newbie in the rod-world, but will give you some of the advices, I've picked up, driving the old Volvos and an A-Ford.
    - I would take the gear and clutch from a 544 or 210 (got a 210 PU), which is pin-connected, instead or hydrolic working. Then I should be able to keep the bellhousing from the A- og AA-motor (some people told me, the AA bellhousing is longer, and need no spacer, just another boltpattern, to fit the M40), but that is all information, I can't guarantee, because I haven't tryed it yet...
    - As far as I'm informed, the M46 sat in the 240, 260, 740, 760 and 940. And I've never seen it with a long shifter - that died with the Amazon, as far as I know. And like the M40-M41, the M46 should just be a M45 with Overdrive and a longer exit-axle to fit the OD...

Hope my humble knowledge have helped you! :eek:

2. Honestly... I don't know! :confused:
    But if woodyford knows the builder, he might be able to inlighten the rest of us nonknowing dumbasses! ;) :D

3. Pierre H

Pierre H
    from france

Hello
    it's help me a lot !!
    I've pick this picture on the net, I think it's a M46 (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm wondering how to get the shifter on the case, not so backward. Your right it's not the long aluminum shifter like on the M40/41 , but it's still a way to long for me (or may be I can put my seats in the pick up bed .. :))

The good clutch seems to be VOLVO 260/262/264/265, it's 9.5 inch and fit perfect on the flywheel after some flat cutting.

Attached Files:

4. Hi Pierre!
    Glad I could help! :D
    Do you want the shifter closer to the gearbox, or is it a shorter shifter, you want?... :confused: If it is the shorter shifter, just cut some of the top of it - if it is the shifter closer to the gearbox, I would find a M40 gearbox instead, like the one in the pics, Artiki placed in the beginning of this thread. And you can still put the OD from an M46 on a M40 box, if you build in a longer exit axle!

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

5. lil32b

lil32b
    from Belgium

Hi Artiki, Filip,a 32 4Banger guy from Belgium here, next winter i also want to put a volvo gearbox in my 32, can you give me some details on the flywheel mods to fit the volvo clutch, i suppose that the flywheel have to be flat all the way down to accept the pressure plate, i see otherwise no way to fix it on a 32 flywheel. Also a question on the ring between the gearbox and bellhousing, don't you need a plate to hold it in place or did you made the ring a little bit bigger and so it's holding itself with some pressure sideways ?
    Thanks,
    Filip

6. The M40 has to be one of the cheapest 4 speeds in the US. Lots of rust bucket 122s to take them out of.

7. woodyford

woodyford
    from Sweden

Helloffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    The Swedish 32 is using an m46 gearbox. The hard thing is beneath the shifter tower. <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

8. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Great Tech. Thanks for sharing.

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hey Filip,
    My flywheel had already been lightened and machined flat to accept a V8 clutch, so it was pretty easy to redrill the holes for the Volvo assembly. It just needed centering atop the flywheel, marking and drilling. Did it in an afternoon with a bench drill.

The ring is quite a tight fit, and probably would've held in place okay on its own, but I made up a couple of tabs to hold it in place attached to the allen-headed bolts at the front of the trans.

The M40 is a really cool trans and makes a hopped-up banger very lively.

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

very cool !!!!
    Bill

11. lil32b

lil32b
    from Belgium

Hi Artiki, short question, what clutch release bearing did you use and how did you adapt it to the Ford fork ?
    I'm plannig fixing the Volvo box into my 32 upcoming weekend.
    Greetz,
    Filip.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. lil32b

lil32b
    from Belgium

Hi guys, the job is done so far, yesterday my friends and me removed my engine and trans out of my 32 sedan. We had the M40 box bolted on the engine and gave it a try to fit it in the uncut chassis, after some waggling with the engine & box, to our surprise the combo fitted nicely in the chassis, it's tight but it can be done, but not without any cut, a small cut have to be made to fit the speedometer cable properly, but nothing seriously. As for the trans bracket, i don&#8217;t think you have to make one, or use a thick piece of rubber between chassis and trans, but i think the engine can be supported on two mounts at the rear of the engine where the side rods are, that's what i gone try first. On one photo you will see that the engine is well alined in the center at the snout and the trans not touching any part of the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@ Mart... yes, it can be done, there's some extra place for the OD :)

Any comments are appreciated ! :D

Up next are the rear motor mounts....

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  13. I still have to do this project, but have discovered at least one error - the AA and BB bell housing is shorter than stock about 2"! So be aware of this, when browsing swap meets for bell housings!

I'll be making a drawing of the spacer ring to place between housing and gear box, in order for me to have them produced, along with the bracket for the side mounted hand brake - I'll post it on my website, and people should be able to download it from there.

I'll post pictures of the build here as well, as I get to it - mine should go with both an AA and a BB bell housing, depending on engine set-up, so I'll post pictures of possible differences! :)

14. Mart

Mart

Nice work fellas.

Mart.

15. Well, winter in DK has been real cold and filled with snow, so for the first time in a long time, I was in the garage sunday. I got ot mock up the bell housing and tried briefly to hold the M40 in place.
    I appologize for the bad picture quality!
    http://dannerrs31fordapu.blogspot.dk/2013/02/first-mock-up-of-ab-to-m40-project.html
    Oh yeah, and my B-engine in the tudor turned out to be cracked, so that's not going in the PU... :(