Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Plymouth 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32PlymouthGirl, Aug 20, 2008.

1. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

and yea, second what Dick D said - decklid looks great, how bout some details/photos of construction

2. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Now to answer some of the questions I've received over the last 12 hours or so....

1. Our "shop" is a split between my husband's business place (a manufacturing company) and our home garage that stores only hot rod stuff!!! No new cars allowed in there... if it hails.... too bad! So between all the overhead hoists, the space we need, and all the machines we can handle almost anything... Plus my husband is a Tool/Die maker, so he can make ANYTHING I swear.... For example, one of the lifters broke taking the motor apart and after about 3 months of searching to the end of the earth and back only to be told time and time again that they've been discontinued.... my husband looks at me and goes... "ah hell, i'll just make one"... And it looks and works great.

2. The grill is off of an International truck... ('34-'35)

3. The manifold as well as the fuel rail was made by my husband... he actually is working on making the manifolds for all sorts of engines and currently sells the fuel rails. (he is known as flatheaded on here)

4. On making the decklid... here's what we did:

Took a piece of 20 Gauge C.R. steel and 90'd all four corners about 1" wide. We cut the corners round and welded the seams shut, built a frame out of 1" steel tubing, and used our stretcher/shrinker to shrink it until it fit.
    We are going to louver it eventually, just haven't had the time. My husband made his own louver press and it works really great... yet another service he is planning on providing.... I'm tellin' ya... he's handy to have around!

5. The firewall is engine turned.

3. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I started to read this thread and was thinking '33 that was probably built in '32, but I see you figured it out. Does it matter? It's still a GREAT car. Good luck with it.
    What is the grill?.....looks like an International Truck Grill.
    [​IMG]

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

do you have a sister?

5. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

I appreciate how you feel, but as far as I know, a stock 331 will not take 6 carbs worth of fuel... I guess I like the idea of havin' a Hemi that looks and sounds really mean. To be honest, this Hemi is a heck of a lot more affordable than the bigger Hemi motors that can handle all 6.... "low buck, old junk" ... plus, more importantly to me was to "advertise" my husbands handy work if he plans on selling the manifolds and the fuel rails.

6. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Sorry "49ratfink".... I'm an only child!

7. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

Just asking for the knowledge of it all....Other than it is always nice to know what U own, What is the reason every body "seemed to say" that a 32 Ply is more desireable than a 33/34....Is it true or did I misunderstand ???...I think they all are ''ruight'' beautiful....I think I like'um so well I'd consider trading my 32 FODE cpe fer a real nice one.....I like the "lil" Hemi in there also......CJ.

8. Don't feel bad that it's not a '32-the whole "Deuce" mystique is a Ford thing. All the old Mopars are more rare than the Fords; just count them at the next car show.

Do a little searching, there have been a few cool '33-'34s posted here, but they are uncommon. That's a good thing.

9. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

cool, i guess - to me at a show - id be more interested in yer fabrication work if it all worked on what you drove for an advertisement - and a 331 could handle 6 single barrels when you put the hammer down - I think you may actually starve that motor with only 2bbls when you get over idle - the key is progressive linkage - just look at everyone actually running 6 and 8 packs on flatheads for instance
    your car your choice - and the manifold from what i can see in the pics does look nice - just wanted to caution ya on showing bling on this site that aint functional is all
    good luck with the car and yer mans bizness

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Definitely not a PB. We are building one as we speak...

[​IMG]

11. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

If you don't count the glass ones, there aren't many real 32-34 Fords at the shows either.:D I see a few 33-34 Plymouth coupes, and quite a few 34 Sedans. I've never seen a '32 Plymouth coupe at a show and only a couple 32 & 33 Sedans. I'm always attracted to anything that's not a Ford or Chevy.:)

12. ....here's my 32 DeSoto 3 window, they used the same body as a 32 Plymouth PB.
    [​IMG]

13. Yup, looks like a 33 for sure to me. GREAT looking project, can't wait for more pictures down the road too.....
    :cool:

14. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Wow what a great build.

15. its looken good. other than the ih grill, but hell it isn't a glass 32 ford grill. you should post up some on the suedes board your husband is there frome time to time

16. rjgideon

rjgideon

Here's a '31 Ply sedan; this is a PA, to show the difference. Much more room than a Ford of the same era.

I'm hoping this one ends up as my next project after the '51 Plymouth. It's my uncle's and I drop not-so-subtle hints that I want to build this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TomH

TomH

I had missed this thred cause we were at the salt. ( no laptop )

Hope you can bring it to the Watertown run in a couple of weeks.

18. kisam

kisam

Wow! Very inspiring to see another lady on here building away!
    Kathy

19. 33mopower

33mopower

Saw this on ebay Did you buy it or where you selling it? They did in fact make more 33 pc-pd's then they made 32 pb's. I have seen plenty of both and own a couple 33's. The 31-32 three windows all had the same basic shape be it dodge, desoto, plymouth or chrysler. The 31-32pa plymouth had an oval back window. Only the 32 desoto and 32 pb plymouth had suicide doors. Of course the 33 desoto and chrysler were 3 windows based on 32 desoto and plymouth pb. I think the work is very nice so far on the car and hemi's are the only motors to run in the mopars. But I have to agree get rid of the Chevy grill and find a 33 dodge-plymouth grill and cut the bottom off or better yet find a 33 chrysler grill there perfect for fendeless cars.

[​IMG]

Heres an idea for a 3 window 33-34 though I would have put 5" longer 2 door sedan doors on it.

[​IMG]

20. Greasejunky has a bitchin Plymouth on Duece rails...I don't have a pic but I know there's many floating around...

21. "Saw this on ebay Did you buy it or were you selling it?"

...several years ago I bought this coupe and did put it on Ebay, it didn't sell so I decided to keep it and put it together someday.
    ...you got one of them 33 Chrysler grilles you'd sell cheap ?!!

22. mckustoms

mckustoms

Love the old mopars. They have that chopped look to them already. Cool project.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool project! Looking forward to the updates. I sent you an invite to join the Ladies of the HAMB group so please consider it. :cool:

Your husband have a single brother by chance??? :D

24. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Sorry my hubby doesn't have any brothers!... Boy I really can't help anyone out on the hotrod dating!

BTW....

Hey thanks for the invite to the ladies of the hamb.... I have excepted and look forward to sharing our ideas and projects!

Robyn

25. drflex

drflex

my 32 plymouth soon to be hemi powered..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  26. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

I got to drive my baby for the first time tonight..... I am one happy biotch!!!!!

27. Yelton57

Yelton57
    BANNED

i seem to have misplaced my car in your garage!