Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Plymouth 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32PlymouthGirl, Aug 20, 2008.

1. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Here's some pictures of my '32 plymouth.

This was a pasture find, and since I am a bit of a mopar freak and most of what my husband and I collect are Fords and their parts, I was super excited to say the least!

The motor is a 331 Hemi with the extended bell housing. The tranny is a ford 3 speed top loader with a wilcap adapter and hydraulic throwout bearing. The top and seat were hand sewn by yours truly. Almost everything I could get my hands on got holes drilled into it. The frame is original, the seat pan I bought at an auction sale and came out of a 47 chevy....I know, I know.... cross breeding...

More photos as I get them uploaded.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Pretty cool car!

One thing nice about Plymouths is that they're really roomy inside compared to a lot of other cars back then.

3. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

More photos....

Attached Files:

4. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

More....

Attached Files:

5. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

And one more picture... of the motor with the finished firewall... the firewall is there somewhere, trust me!

Attached Files:

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

cool project, but that gas tank wont last 20 minutes with taht hemi and those carbs!

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

SLICK, my 30 plymouth is getting a long bell 331 too

8. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Touchdowntodd..... had it running for more 20 minutes already! (I'm only running off the center two)

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Super project and with you doing the work yourself (looks like hubby is helping but you don't have to admit that:)) it's even more special. Is that your home shop? If so it looks like there is little you aren't able to handle "inhouse".
    One of the nice things about the Mopars is they look chopped without having to get out the sawzall. Keep us updated on the build.

Frank

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Excellent, but we do need to find you a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth grille shell though....as a 33-34 Dodge stuff collector, I can say they are scarce and expensive, but well worth the hunt....(and no sorry I don't have any)...

Its really nice to see more of these mopar products being built into trad rods.

Keep it up! Looks great!

11. Looks like you actually have a '33-'34; the '32s have conventional doors, I believe. I love the '33-'34s, I have one myself I am making a roadster pickup out of. See the link below:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145423

Lucky you have a lot of the parts you need, I had hell finding doors.

12. I believe you have a 33 or 34; 32's came in 2 styles, a PA & a PB,and had suicide doors....PA's were leftover 31's........think they were all 3 windows, 33 & 34's were all 5 windows like yours, ...someone correct me if I'm wrong.................nice project, looks super solid,..and that (binder?) grille looks OK on there.
    I got a 32 DeSoto 3 window coupe, (same as 32 Plymouth body) that will get a 318/tourqueflight; ...wish mine was as solid as yours,...and as far along.
    Did you make the deck lid?, looks very nice....if so, how'd you do it?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  13. Richard,,,,I also think it's a 33/34,,,but you are wrong on the 32 PB plymouth coupes,,,,They have doors just like the 32 3-windows. HRP

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great! Nice work!

15. How about some details on how you made the decklid?

16. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Very slick....I'm sure those Radirs will get put to good use behind that 331.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

17. holy smokes thats bad ass! very cool ride ..

18. Pscott

Pscott

19. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

Very nice, looks like a great project and ride!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah, that car looks like it's going to be pretty rad. The engine is getting me all excited about my own 331. And the Log manifold is just the hot fudge on top of the ice cream!

21. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Okay so I am really flippin' out right now over all the info on the 32 versus the 33-34 cars. Right away when we picked this one up, we weren't even aware it was a Plymouth. The car actually still has the original ID tag inside the door and it is in really great shape, so we took pictures of it and posted it on the web. Several people told us it was a 1932 Plymouth (PB) Coupe. Also, we go to St. Paul every year to Back to the 50's, and for the last 6 years or so, there has been one identical to this one there.... also a 1932 Plymouth 5 window coupe. I am going to take a picture of the ID tag again and post it on here if anyone has the ability to look this up and help me out, that would be great!

22. filthy frank

filthy frank

thats a kool car,and im jealous!i cant even look at my 33 plymouth becuase i gotta finish up a 59 cad(not mine,and a 56 chevy,not mine)then the games will begin. ill be posting pics.and its nice to have a big shop to work in.filthy frank.

23. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

24. silverdome

silverdome

Awesome ride! I think it's possibly a '32 PB. I have a couple of Silver Dome Era Posters and the old black & white one shows a '32 PB rumble seat five window coupe that has suicide doors and that body style. Will you have it ready for the H.A.M.B. Drags?

25. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

COOL! Thanks a lot... I will look it up...

26. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I can't tell you if it's a '32 or '33 - but I CAN tell you it's NOT a '34. In '34 they laid the windshield back slightly. If you sight down the leading edge of the door you will notice two distinct angles on a '34. A '33 and earlier there was only ONE angle.

Cool car no matter what!!!!

27. aldixie

aldixie

A nice looking car. Plus your doing the work yourself that gets a very big thumbs up.

28. What about the windshield angle on the trucks, which they made in this same style through the middle of '35? I am building an RPU with a truck cowl and coupe doors; the angle seemed slightly different.

I agree, it's cool no matter what year; I'd rather have an early Mopar coupe than a '32 Ford(oh, sacreliege!).

29. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Well....... Okay.... this sucks.....

A big thank you to Wikster for the website.... I looked it up and the verdict is in:

"The PC was introduced in the fall of 1932 as a 1933 model (I believe Chrylser's first attempt to move to the now standard model year). "

So, I have a 1933 Plymouth 5 window coupe..... I guess if I really wanna stretch things so I don't have to change my name.... It was possibly manufactured at the end of 1932..... Oh well, I am still proud of all the hard work we've done and I am more than satisfied with the outcome thus far.

Thanks again for the debate guys.... at least now I know!

30. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

you dont have ta change yer name - or your avatar - for misrepresentin just cuz yer ride is sumthin else - just enjoy the fact you found a place that can help you get to where ya need to be - and great work on the 33 plymouth!

but far as misrepresentin goes, ill be the one to bite i guess....
    not sure if anyone caught yer comment on only runnin 2 of them 6 carbs - by the way you stated, sounds like these are the ONLY functioning carbs, and not just your primaries - why go thru building all that drivetrain and sourcing a 6pack carb setup to only run 2 1bbl carbs! not sure how many feel the same, but its like putting a fake blower on their and runnin efi underneath - just dont seem right for this crowd.
    Now if i misunderstood your statement, and you just mean the middle two are your primaries and all 6 are functional units as you lay into the pedal...that sounds right, and my apologies
    otherwise get them all functional or take off the jewelry! just my 13 cents