Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lokar shifter problems....easy to bump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by forty1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. forty1

forty1

Lokar shifter ez easy to bump into N or D2---WTH - any similar issues???
    Dang,...I dumped my cable B&M shifter for a 32" Lokar nostalgia tailmounted th350 with floor mount e-brake....

I like the new look - but that's about all..
    I had a shop do the install, w lokar tech support too.

My worry & problem is while tuning the FM , i reached down & ever so slightly bumped it w/ my elbow a couple of times driving around town- dropped it to LOW D2- worrysome but....
    But happy Hi-OL-Ya , I did it again last nite on the freeway @ 65+. HOLLY lift off the petal BATMAN...

Lokar says to tighten the jam nuts on the right side _ ( hearing the 327 over rev @ 65 -yea made my nuts tighten up allright.

Any similar stories or remedies ?
    thaks -41-

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

..Ive had no issues with my Lokar..it sounds like it needs to be adjusted.
    Mine is very positive..and no way you could bump it out of any setting.
    maybe you have the detents settings off?
    or maybe the release button is running to tight and not allowing the detent mechanizm to opperate properly

3. i have the same shifter and had the same problem. i just tightened everthing up and it sloved it. good luck man.

4. I have a long shifter handle that will drop down a gear when hitting a bump. Under the boot on the passengers side loosen the jam nut, tighten the other one, snug up the jam nut and problem is fixed. If you can't move the shifter, it's too snug.

5. forty1

forty1

Thanks, Von, Glen & PRat,
    I'll try anything..
    -41-

6. Mopar34

Mopar34

I've had my Lokar for about 7 years with very little problems, but they do need adjustment from time to time to keep them in good working order. Their neutral safety switch is more problematic than their linkage parts.

7. 4tford

4tford

I have the same issue with mine it seems the extra long handle vibrates pretty good and can cause easy to bumb out of gear.

8. forty1

forty1

Thanks, that seems to fix the problem- I went ahead & changed out the jam nut for a nylon loc nut..
    ....but i still feel Lokar needs to really re-design their detent mechanism to prevent any slop .... too many people reaching for coffee/h2o nowadays to cause any extra worries..
    regardless issue corrected.
    BTW,,. how much different do Gennie shifters perform in this area of gear selection...
    -41-

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  9. Do a search, Gennie is very much preferred around here from memory. I like mine, 10 years, still good.