Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey, Hey! 1st of the Month **AUGUST Banger Meet**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Aug 1, 2008.

1. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Got my Willys banger powered speedster running for the Hayride.
    Suprised how well it pulls for a 2.2 litre flathead although the car is quite light.
    Picked up a Pepco supercharger to go on it, came from a 1.6 VW Powered airplane so should be about the right size.
    Ran the dirt track at the Hayride without anything falling off next stop Hotrod Drags in September.
    Just doing a head gasket on the Phaeton so going to fit my Thomas head while I am at it.
    Sorry pics don't show great detail.
    Rich

Attached Files:

2. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Looking damn good, Rich. Those gloves really suit you, y'know....

3. Just checking to see if that's a reversed T steering wheel spider and.... oh my god! It's amazing what a shave and scrub up does for you Rich!

Surprised how well it pulls... hahahahahaha!

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

If it's the one I'm thinking of, mid Eightys, pickup (lorry ?:confused:), or at leat that's what the guy I was talking to locally has, on his dual plug, Lion equipped banger.

Said he silver brased a 12 point socket to the oil pump drive, then silver brased a piece of hex key stock to the distributor so he could time the drive to within 30 degrees and fine tune from there.

If I'm way off base, I appologise, but that sounded like (to me) what he was talking about.

5. Coaltown, did you get that gashog fixed? How was the float level? Next time I would suggest you try 2 or 3 cups of gas!

6. Maybe one of you could help me with this-

What is the inner diameter of a 21" Model A rim?

thanks, Bill

7. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Cheers Bill!

8. Hello Jonny" novice rodder" 69,

I wasn't sure if they still used the term "Good Show" which I have learned from watching english movies made in the "30"'s and "40"'s on the "telly" ( not sure of spelling). Don't really care but I did enjoy the video. I'l bet it was fun!

9. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Jolly good show old chap! I still say that :D

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hey, there's something blocking the view of the car!!:rolleyes:

What differential are you running there,...somethng modern???

11. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Very sorry I've been running on empty here (no pun intended) trying to get things done I forgot to let you know how I made out!!!

Yes, got it squared away,...I DID have to adjust the float ever so slightly, but we got it so that the gas was at the bottom of the threads as you instructed,..thanks amillion. We filled up the tank with three cups and it seemed to be running a bit rich so we tuned it down a little,...and ya know what, we even went for it and activated the accelerator pump in the carb,..actually made a BIG difference in the way it ran! Ran MUCH better with the pump set up,...a nice response to it, otherwise it hesitated then kicked in.

Oh and I have the gaskets on their way too! I'm hoping to have this at a local show come next weekend,..we're gonna run the body bare for the show with the bottom and inside in primer, then afterwards pop off the body and give her the royal treatment and get some paint on that tin!

Thanks a MILLION for the awesome assistance! You're the best!!

12. RussTee

RussTee

hey monkey biker u get my mail on the nissan disy simple conversion and works magic

13. Yes ta. You have any images to share with the boys on here of it sitting in place?

14. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

First few test rides on the little street next to my house. We got her out to do a shakedown,....everything seems to check out pretty well.

Me at the helm first,... (Listen carefully, you can hear us spin the wheels down the road,...made about an 8 foot burnout, then you can hear my say, "oh they're not supposed to be doin that!"....HA!)
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i60.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid60.photobucket.com/albums/h29/coaltowncowboy/103_2778.flv">

My buddy Jimmy takin her for a ride after myself...
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i60.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid60.photobucket.com/albums/h29/coaltowncowboy/103_2780.flv">

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  15. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

a bit of a vintage looking photo of the chassis we took by some old feed silos down the street....fellow club member at the helm...
    [​IMG]

16. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Coaltown, that is awesome! Congrats!!!

Will Kimble

17. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

HA! I'm like a little kid at Christmastime!!! Ok back to working on it,...painting some of the body today....!!

18. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Just got back from the Secrets of Speed Society summer picnic, here are some pics for everybody. Charlie Yapp has a beautiful piece of property and the weather couldn't have been better. Had a great time, made some new friends and saw some inspiring cars.

This car was awesome, check out the rod to limit the travel of the friction shocks, the solid shackle on the driver's side to limit lateral motion, and the "excursion guards" for when you leave the track!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe this was a "McDowell" (SP?) setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gemsa head, you should've heard this thing... Was strong but smooth and tractable - guy drove it around like it was a street car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coming...

19. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

More SOSS picnic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This RPU was gorgeous, stocker on the outside and trick in the engine bay. Here's a shot with Mary, my hot rodding buddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie's wild ride in progress...

[​IMG]

20. Fantastic vids Coaltown! Looks like a ton of fun!

21. Nice pictures Will.

Is the first speedster with all the cool features a new build or an original?

22. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

More SOSS picnic, there was a small but choice swap meet.

B crank & rods...

[​IMG]

A couple nice '35 wires, '39 gearbox, double detent shifter top, '37 lever...

[​IMG]

'32 heavy with spindles and tie rod, I know this rig found a new home...

[​IMG]

F1 box, other goodies...

[​IMG]

Grab bag table...

[​IMG]

There was also a beautiful '31 tudor, '31 victoria and '30 roadster that I forgot to take pics of, they were all outstanding and the roadster was a big inspiration for my build.

It was a great event, filled with camaraderie and hopitality. Definitely worth checking out if you ever get the chance.

Will Kimble

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  23. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

The first speedster is an original, I don't believe they have gotten it running yet. I tried to look at the engine but got scared and had to hide the kids!!!

Will

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

25. Hey Coaltown, Enjoyed the test run. How much gas did you use?

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Will,
    Thanks for the photos!!!!

Coaltown,
    Congrats!!!! another milestone hurdled

Bill,
    Did you got to the Riverside T swap today?

27. ebtm3

ebtm3

Great photos Will!

The straps curving back from below the front axle in the first photo were a safety in case a front spindle broke. Without these skids, the axle end would drop, dig into the dirt track and flip the car. I believe that they were mandatory on the right front with certain midget racing associations.

Herb Kephart

28. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Hey coaltown that is cool as I always got told you have the best fun without outer garments.

29. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Not much on the back and forth runs,...about 1/4 of the tank if I remember correctly,...maybe a bit more?

30. easyrider47

easyrider47

I understand they made a couple of carbs for a Model B. What is the carb ( Zenith? ) I'm looking for and the no. of it to run on my Model A. I have access to a miling maching so I can have my manifold drilled out for it, but not sure what "B" carb works good on one.