Register now to get rid of these ads!

making a rolled pan from a decklid (for the shoebox)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the front of my shoebox will get a rolled pan,,,i gave a lot of thought to how i could build one, and this is what i came up with,,,,
    the curve of a spare shoebox decklid had just about the right amount of curve, so i decided that would become my new rolled pan..
    first i marked out my cuts,,,carefully cut the skin away along the tape lines.....
    next i bent some 3/4 conduit to the right shape,,this is what the skin will attach to to give it its shape,,,slit the decklid skin down the middle, leaving approx 1/4 inch still attached where it will be tacked to the conduit (and also bend here),,,,,tacked from the center and worked my way to the outside,,the skin overlapped along the bottom of the pan, i sliced through both pieces with my cutter which left me a perfect little peak to weld up along the center of the pan,,,
    got a piece of new 18 ga sheetmetal and cut a piece for the top of the pan,,,tacked it up, and ended up with this neat little rolled pan,,,,,this is the way i plan to do my rear pan as well,,,,but i will use a different "donor" for that,,,hopefully, my tech was easy to understand...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

finished pan (tacked welded anyways)..

Attached Files:

3. the machine

the machine

that is sweet, i like the look

4. Looks good! It really compliments the peak on the hood/grille surround, and the "forward look" of the eyebrows on the headlights. nice.

What's the plan for the Hudson???

5. looks like a tooth less hammer head shark but i dig it alot. great eye for finding something new out of spare part

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,i knew someone would ask about that,,,its a 48 club coupe, and belongs to my girlfriend linda (41caddywidow on the hamb),,,,the plan is to make a mid 50s style kustom,,,something barris could have done if they had ever done a hudson,,,,,,real mild tapering chop,,different back window,,she doesnt like the looks of the stock window, and i completely agree,,,
    we have some neat ideas for the nose, but they will remain a secret for now (hahah),......
    we're hoping to get the car mounted on a rotisserie, so the floor pans can be done....she has great taste in kustoms (and men hahaha) and we have brainstormed on some pretty neat ideas,,,,

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahah,,reminds me of a shark too,,,,i said that a couple of times,,,its gonna be a futuristic looking car,,,maybe i should call it the atomic shark or something,,,,,,lol...

8. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Cool idea...looks great!

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

excellent!

10. rodknocker

rodknocker

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

12. lol that does sound like a good name "the ATOMIC SHARK" i say roll with it

13. Chad s

Chad s

Awesome! What a great way to make that roll pan, and what a perfect looking one! I love the peak. You are amazing at taking so many parts, from so many cars, and making them all work so well together. I wouldnt care if this car was glued together and had a 55 gallon drum of bondo on it (I know it wont!), artistically, it is incredibly inspiring.

14. Maybe I missed an update, but, did you change the headlights again?? I thought you had put canted quads on there?????

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i had canted 54 buicks on the car, but they no longer went with the style the car is evolving into......... they were cool,,,BUT, too much like mid 50s styling

also gone:
    the kaiser guard/exhaust
    the posts

16. Chad s

Chad s

And where did that Kaiser guard go? Thats a nice piece for another car, with a lot of the hard work already done!

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,,,
    the late bob metz from indiana (probably my favorite kustomizer) was the MASTER of taking parts from many different cars and making them work together...his cars were pure genius

18. kustom-your car is truly inspiring. wish i had the knowledge/tools to do half the work your doing to the shoebox. great stuff.

-ncg

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hey, i didnt even know how to weld a couple of years ago,,,,just buy a welder (just a basic 110v will do just fine), and practice, practice, practice,,,,you can do it,,,its just like anything else,,the longer you do it, the better you become,,,,,
    i really dont have too many fancy tools,,probably the fanciest tool i own is my english wheel,,i dont fully know how to use it yet,,but i will learn........

the best way to learn is by doing it and making mistakes (ask me how i know this,,haha)
    or reading and learning from other peoples mistakes,,,

20. SHRUM

SHRUM

Damn I love what you are doing with it, gets better every update.

21. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

i agree :D

22. Chad s

Chad s

I read the article on him in the last TRJ. I wish all of his cars still existed. Amazing work, with little or no lead!

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

looks good, thanks for the tip. Might try it on my 53 Ford.

24. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i was so happy they did a story on him,,,,VERY underrated customizer,,,
    one of the ALL TIME greats in my opinion,,,,
    xm105 was such an amazing piece of craftsmanship,,
    all of his work was metal finished,,you couldnt see any seams even from the inside,,the article said the panels looked as if detroit had stamped them out that way,,,

25. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Looking good, keep us posted.

26. jonnycola

jonnycola

There's something about that car....

It just looks like it was made in the early 60's. I dont know why... but it's like right out of the little pages.

I fucking love it. Fantastic work.

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Better and better.

28. Squablow

Squablow

The trunklid curveature actually worked out really good for the rolled pan, very nice.

Glad I'm not the only one who cuts up parts cars to make totally unrelated parts. Today I cut a '56 Chevy front fender opening into 5 sections to build a rear quarter panel opening for my '59 Edsel. Matched up the pieces to a fender skirt, it's going to work perfectly.

This rolled pan is made to go between the Cadillac bumpers, correct? I liked those when you had them mocked up. Were you planning to hang a front licence plate on this car? Would be a shame to cover up that nice pan with an ugly plate.

29. poorboy

poorboy