Register now to get rid of these ads!

s-10 t-5 lube oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetmek, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jetmek

jetmek

dumb question but what is the correct oil for t-5 trannys? guy at the parts counter says 90wt but a friend says atf

2. gaschevy

gaschevy
    BANNED

I have a 97 S10 and it takes this high dollar crap you have to get through the dealer at $17 a quart. If anybody knows a substitute please let us know.

3. Tony

Tony

I did a search online, and here and came up with the answer's i needed.
    Mine used ATF..it's a mid-late 80's T5. I put synthetic ATF in and it works good..shift's smooth no noise..But, mine did specified it, not gear oil.
    The thicker oil's tend to make them shift a bit harder..
    Do a search on google for it and you should be able to get what ya need,

Tony

4. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Now I'm confused. I remember reading somewhere that 70 weight was to be used. Are different years supposed to use different weight oil? Both the S-10 T-5s I have, not in running cars yet, are the same code with mechanical speedometer drives.

6. jetmek

jetmek

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Use ATF.

I use synthetic ATF - it only costs a couple bucks more.

Some of the early NWC T5 used gear oil, some folks say to use MTF/Synchromesh. Ford recommended a 70WT equivalent for early NWC T5, but later changed to ATF for all.

Use ATF.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Which kind of ATF?

For a NWC '86 S-10 T5

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm running a NWC S-10 / Jeep hybrid. All bearings and blocking rings are new.
    I started with 70w, then switched to ATF and I'm using Sycromesh now. Trans ran smooth and quiet with 70w but shiffted weird. Switched to ATF and it shifted better but was a little noisier. Now I'm running Sycromesh and it seams to be the best of all.

10. Retrorod

Retrorod

We switched from ATF to that expensive synchromesh stuff too. It seems to be the smoothest, quietest and best shifting fluid we've tried.

11. Snarl

Snarl

Dextron III or a synthetic equivalent.

12. Armstrong

Armstrong

What is this Synchromesh you speak of? Who makes it and where do you get it?

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

14. partsman

partsman

The 90 and up T5s use atf dexron III, I run a napa store and some guys use the synchromesh when they have a noisy trans. the reason for not using gear oil is because the later trans have fiber blocker rings instead of brass. You can get the syncromesh from any parts store, Penzoil is the one we have its about 10 bucks a quart. Synthetic atf works great also I hade a shift problem in my 00 6 spd vette, it wouldn't go into first sometimes at a stop. Switched to the royal purple and 30,000 miles later it is still good. Hope this helps. I also ckd mitchell on demand and it said atf.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

GM T-5 service manual say Dextron ATF for WC and NWC. If you check online at sites selling tranny parts and upgrades,they most all recomend a light gear oil ,75w,for NWC and always ATF for a World Class.

16. What EXACTLY is that sycromesh stuff you speak of?

17. manual synchromesh light weight oil sold by GM is the best to use shifts smoother than atf and never use gear lube.

18. zbuickman

zbuickman

t-5 uses ATF and the NP35(the other s-10 5 speed) uses the GM expensive shit:)

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Redline's MTL is pretty similar to Synchromesh too...pricier though.

NWC T5 use brass bushings on the gears, WC use bearings. The other difference is in the synchros & blocker rings - NWC use solid brass, WC uses two-piece bonded carbon-fiber. This is where BW changed their recommendations. OEMs varied with seemingly no consistency between them.

I've seen folks run 40wt motor oil in NWC T5 with good luck. I've personally run synthetic ATF in all of 'em and not had any issues. Seen folks run OE gear oil in NWC. Folks report good results with Synchromesh in both WC & NWC and MTL in the same.

Bottom line - I think anything will work in anything with the only exception being I wouldn't run gear oil in a WC.

20. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

When I bought my t-5, I asked the guy who goes by the name 'S10 Ron' what to use and with no hesitation said ATF. With a name like that, you kinda gotta go with him...

Vance

21. atf will work fine!

22. Tony

Tony

One of the reason's i started searching when i did mine was right ont he side of the case it was marked in paint pen "30wt synth". Now, being a mechanic by trade this was new to me..
    NEVER seen motor oil in a trans..so it was a surprise.
    And although i was told it'll work, i chose to go with what was recommended by GM....So i flushed it out and went with ATF
    But i did step to up Synthetic..

23. Vergil

Vergil

I use Redline's MTL in my nwc, pricey but good product.

Vergil