Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brushed Aluminum paint effect??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modernbeat, Jul 13, 2004.

1. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I'm no fan of the modern Ford truck that Jimmy Shine did, but I was able to look at it and see something I really liked. A few of the trim parts were painted and had an effect applied that made them look like brushed aluminum. The two late model Lincolns in the bay next to the truck had the same paint on the grilles and other trim parts.

I liked it.

Some were a satin/matte finished and some had a thick shiny clearcoat over the trim. I'm less interested in that, but it shows that they thought that the finish could hold up without a heavy protective coat.

So, how's it done? And don't point me to the craft store with the fake marbling kits. I don't think that stuff will hold up on a car.

2. Jdee

Jdee

I use powdered Aluminum and Fiberglass resin.
    You need to thin the resin with Styrene Monomer
    It just thinner for the resin. Mix powder with resin and spray
    on ....real tough stuff, I'm using copper on my Horns [​IMG]
    I get the powder from plateall.com, they have a resin mix but i think its real expensive. The powder is not bad.
    Once dry you work it like real metal.
    Jdee

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Too damn cool! How does it hold up to heat? Exhaust manifolds are out of the question, but how about blocks, intakes, ect.? Can it handle the stresses of being on the wheels of a driven car?
    More info, please

4. Hey, I'm an addict, now. Umm, gee, thanks, Ryan.

5. KCsledz

KCsledz

[ QUOTE ]
    Too damn cool! How does it hold up to heat? Exhaust manifolds are out of the question, but how about blocks, intakes, ect.? Can it handle the stresses of being on the wheels of a driven car?
    More info, please

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking in to account the description of it being a resin with powder mix i wouldn't use int on high heat applications. It would age, yellow a bit and crack like the surface of an old boat or surf board,

6. Wow! That is some fascinating stuff! So Jdee, you are using Plate All powder with another companies resin(adhesive/thinner [​IMG])?
    I can see lots of really neat uses in automotive applications if it holds up to weather. How much experience do you have with this stuff?

7. Jdee

Jdee

I have not sprayed any in a while. It is tough stuff.
    High heat area? I can't say how it would hold up, Its only going to bond and hold up as good as the resin used.
    So far It seems way stronger than any paint!
    I think Plateall.com will send you free samples if you ask.
    I used cheap lay up resin and Styrene Monomer to thin, and then used their mix ratios. I got the Styrene Monomer from fiberglast.com It works like they say it does.
    Jdee
    I mixed some brass powder and Aluminum and got a cool White Gold look, kind of neat, But for what I don't know [​IMG]
    Jdee
    Copper wheel off my Buick
    [​IMG]

8. Empire32

Empire32
    from FRANCE

WOW ! thanks !
    Fuckin good idea !

9. trey

trey

hey, thats pretty friggin sweet. does a few pounds go a long way? its pretty expensive, by my standards. 1/2 lb for 15 bucks. is that enough to do a set of 7" headlight buckets? what kind of gun do you use to spray it. i think the site said hvlp, but i was wondering if that was the standard

trey

10. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Jackpot!

Three Stars!

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great, but I have a question. Just thinking out loud there was powdered aluminun in the finish of the Hindenberg, the airship that burned to the ground in the 1930's. Has anyone test sprayed a piece and hit it with a torch to see what happens?

12. Jdee

Jdee

I think they have a web page that tells how many sq feet per pound the stuff does. You are only going to spray one coat cuz its thick stuff Like spraying Feather Fill Primer thick like mud. I used a Sata Primer Gun 1.8 tip I think
    turn up the air to 80 to 85 and use a small fan,
    They have good instructions on the site.
    Nice people, I just could not find the bucks for the resin, so I made my own. I would say get some samples
    " samples already sprayed out"
    from them and Check out the finishes, Get the finest Powder the have, Some is grainy if thats a word [​IMG] and don't polish up as good.
    Jdee

I did this old cement Planter with brass..
    The grainy brass just polished up the edges, looked neat..
    [​IMG]

13. trey

trey

ok, 1.8 mm. thats what i was wondering, but i asked wrong. so the fine stuff polishes up pretty good? this would beat the hell out of chrome plating, since we dont have anyone local to do it. i could do my headlight buckets, and grill shell!

trey

14. DrJ

DrJ

One of the products here will do what you want.
    http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

He has been known to run a foundry too but I don't know if he is currently.

(I do know the owner, but I have no personal interest in the company so this isn't spam...) [​IMG]

15. [ QUOTE ]
    there was powdered aluminun in the finish of the Hindenberg, the airship that burned to the ground in the 1930's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once they are combined,the metal powder in the resin wouldn't be any more flamible
    that the resin itself.

16. Jdee

Jdee

Yeah it will polish up but not like chrome.
    Would probably need a thin coat of clear over it to keep it purty [​IMG]
    Jdee
    Old test photo I brushed the stuff on thick.
    [​IMG]

17. slammed

slammed

Tech Up people! Save this one, it's a keeper.

18. burger

burger

Here's something a little easier --

Rustoleum brush-on aluminum paint covered in Rustoleum spray bomb clear.

I'm sure there isn't any real aluminum in the paint, but it does give you a finished product that looks like brushed aluminum and is a tough as Rustoleum.

Ed

19. [ QUOTE ]
    Just thinking out loud there was powdered aluminun in the finish of the Hindenberg, the airship that burned to the ground in the 1930's. Has anyone test sprayed a piece and hit it with a torch to see what happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be ok as long as you don't fill the rest of the car with hydrogen.

20. I checked out the coating used on the Hindenburg.
    Aside from containing Aluminum dust,
    the combination was chemically very similar to modern day solid rocket fuel. [​IMG]

Let's see,a flamible coating surrounding a flammable gas.Great combination. [​IMG]

Stupidest part of the whole thing was they had a specially insulated smoking lounge on board.

21. Jdee

Jdee

The funny thing is I had my Silver Nitrate on the shelve above my powdered Aluminum, And on some site I seen some junk about a Silver nitrate Bomb [​IMG] [​IMG] The two parts are these I guess.
    I keep that stuff apart now. The silver nitrate is in the Chrome Paint system I was messing with. Like for re-doing mirrors. Gotta watch those chems around the shop for sure.
    I'd hate to see my headlights blow up going down the road!
    But if they Do I hope I get some video of it [​IMG]
    Then it could go on the MFS DVD 2 [​IMG]
    Jdee

22. trey

trey

[ QUOTE ]
    The silver nitrate is in the Chrome Paint system I was messing with. Like for re-doing mirrors.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you have more info to share with us. haha, gotta stop holding out man!

trey

23. [ QUOTE ]
    gotta stop holding out man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wizards might tell you everything YOU know,

but won't tell you everything THEY know. [​IMG]

24. Jdee

Jdee

All I got is a half jar of F15 Silver HOK Flake For Nads
    If I ever see him here in Florida!

Cuz last time I sprayed that shit My cat chainsaw looked like some kind of Robo Cat [​IMG]
    Jdee
    De-flaked robo cat.

[​IMG]

25. ray

ray
    from colorado

[ QUOTE ]
    I checked out the coating used on the Hindenburg.
    Aside from containing Aluminum dust,
    the combination was chemically very similar to modern day solid rocket fuel. [​IMG]

Let's see,a flamible coating surrounding a flammable gas.Great combination. [​IMG]

Stupidest part of the whole thing was they had a specially insulated smoking lounge on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

amazing ain't it? seems to be quite the coverup had been pulled off for years. the explosion likely would have happened had the hindenburg been filled with inert gas.

and as far as tech, this coating is something i've been pondering quite a few times lately, thanks Jdee!

26. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

Thats some cool shit, gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for everyones input, Alan

27. burger

burger

JDee,

Does the copper tarnish like "real" copper?

Thanks,
    Ed

28. Jdee

Jdee

I just went out and checked the wheel I did last year.
    It had a real light coat of copper. The gun I had would not spray it right "tip to small" But I wiped off a spot and you can see that with no protection, It gets real old looking.
    Lots of green gunk,
    Jdee
    [​IMG]

29. leeco

leeco
    from Leeds

Hi, I have just ordered some powder metal and will be getting the resin and thinner soon, what kind of mix do I make it and can you brush it on.

30. PinHead

PinHead

Old thread here, but still a goodie.

Has anybody done this with a flat or matte finish clear, to produce more of a "cast" type effect? It'd be a nice way to preserve a freshly blasted iron intake.