Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey, Hey! 1st of the Month **AUGUST Banger Meet**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'd like to see a picture too!!!

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That doesn't help.
    I've been looking all morning for pictures of the distributors mounting and tach drive and all I get are pictures of what you've link us to.
    I want to see the body of the distributor not the conversion to electronics.

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Crazzzzzzz

This is on the same web site

Took me 2 seconds !

Be careful :cool:

Attached Files:

5. I may look into extending the shank on a "B" distributor ( I hate the term dizzy or tranny, next will be diffy for the rear end )It would be tall but might work. If I stay with pointies and 6 volties I might use the Delco but I went to a lot of work for my "nostalgia" look wires and nuts

Take That!!

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

some more.........you couldn't find in a min or two

Attached Files:

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I can not spell :eek:

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks Bluto, Your the man!!!

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OK Here is the 'REAL DEAL' This is a S/W Tach drive

They come in several flavors........ if you know an old oild field service guy they we're also used to run governors

These take a offset blade drive distributor so you can use several kinds.

So eat your hearts out ........ and start lookin' :)

In 40 years I've had 5 of 'em

Attached Files:

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No Crazzzz You just need to learn to use Goggle. Honest

11. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Found this earlier on the HAMB. Isn't it a Mallory unit for a Triumph, converted to the model A?

Attached Files:

12. FYI, the Delco body or shank is 1.060 dia. or at least mine is,"A" is 1.000. dia. and is 1.5" long. so the Delco could be machined to fit the "A""B" head. The overall length of turned portion of shank and drive coupling is 2.600 for Delco and 2.125 on the "A" The tach drive portion is 1.560 long, this is plus the shank. There is a Delco Lucas page on the internet that gives the various #'s for these distributors and this will tell you how much advance among other things, The one I have is the right CCW rotation. I suppose all are.

13. Mallory made Tach drive distributors for "A" "B" engines until the last reorganization, at least they did in the 90's

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hi Bill

If you look at the drive I posted you can swap the tach drive from CCW to CW these are really premium little units. S/W AC and others made Tachs that were CW or CCW sweep

Would be cool in a boat to have them sweep apart or toward each other

I prefer the Lucas to Delco. But only cause it's better at high revs. There are Blue Streak HD point sets for both.

Get ready to rebush whatever you get and check that th cam doesn't run funny. Other thing strange is that when we were racing the Spitfire we always did better with the #1 where the book said it should be.

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks Bill, that the info I was looking for.:)

Look what I Googled
    gracious

<FORM name=entry action=/dictionary method=post>One entry found.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD>gracious </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><INPUT type=hidden value=Dictionary name=book> <INPUT type=hidden value=gracious name=quer> <INPUT type=hidden value=1,0,0,0;gracious=458083 name=list> </FORM>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
    <DL><DT class=hwrd>Main Entry: <DD class=hwrd>gra&#183;cious [​IMG] <DT class=pron>Pronunciation: <DD class=pron>\&#712;gr&#257;-sh&#601;s\ <DT class=func>Function: <DD class=func>adjective <DT class=ety>Etymology: <DD class=ety>Middle English, from Anglo-French gracieus, from Latin gratiosus enjoying favor, agreeable, from gratia <DT class=date>Date: <DD class=date>14th century </DD></DL>1 aobsolete : godly barchaic : pleasing, acceptable2 a: marked by kindness and courtesy graceful c: marked by tact and delicacy : urbane d: characterized by charm, good taste, generosity of spirit, and the tasteful leisure of wealth and good breeding <gracious living>3: merciful, compassionate &#8212;used conventionally of royalty and high nobility
    &#8212; gra&#183;cious&#183;ly adverb
    &#8212; gra&#183;cious&#183;ness noun
    synonyms gracious, cordial, affable, genial, sociable mean markedly pleasant and easy in social intercourse. gracious implies courtesy and kindly consideration <THE gracious award winner thanked her colleagues>. cordial stresses warmth and heartiness <OUR cordial as he greeted us>. affable implies easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to conversation or requests or proposals <THOUGH affable to all>. genial stresses cheerfulness and even joviality sociable suggests a genuine liking for the companionship of others <sociable people who enjoy entertaining>.

Funny how Bluto isn't mentioned as a synonym.

:rolleyes:;):D

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  16. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey I been looking for a tach drive dizzy for some time with no luck figure I am gonna rework a later model of something to fit a banger down the road
    nobody is lucky enough to find a bolt in with or with out google
    Ken

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Crazzzzzz

It's true.......

I do not suffer fools well ........

So :D

18. Someone here on the HAMB has a great signature- says something like this:

Never argue with a fool- first they'll bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience:D!

19. 'Tis no hot rod - too many seats and a roof for a start, but here's some boring credit crunching facts and figures from taking the 7-window coupe to the Hayride. We're talking imperial gallons here - I'll try and convert to little biddy gallons if I can and as for the local geography - we're talking crap British roads and far too much traffic...
    Stock-ish 1930 A Fordor, standard bore n' stroke, 3.54 gears, stock 3 speed, Diamond B engine with a little bit of fettling, Thomas head and stock A manifolds. Performance is not startling - but definitely surprising.

Left for a slow country lane bibble down to Bisley, tank full to petrol gauge leaking territory.
    Supposed to drop daughter on the way down in Hemel Hempstead so bibble became a bit more of a charge...
    Steady 65mph. Petrol filter clogged, carb rattled loose, condenser went pop. Bang! Not so good.
    Roadside Nervous Bob recovery, Mallory fitted.

120 miles, no stops, half a tank of fuel, route changed to all motorway, all in the dark driving a hall of mirrors... 2 hours dead. 27mpg. About 22.5 US mpg?

Hayride, brill. For some reason, loads of people happy to forsake a roadster for being chauffeured around in a failed wedding car? Couldn't have been the weather?

Spent Sunday pottering leafy lanes around Surrey testing the plasticene brakes - eventually left Reigate around 4.30. M25, the largest carpark in the world normally - clocked by a friend "in excess of 70mph", paid my toll to sit in a clogged tunnel beneath the Thames river, hit the A12 in heavy rain at a steady 57-58 set on the hand throttle and measured on the bike speedo running off the torque tube (only reads up to 66.6...), and back onto the country lanes home. 122 miles, 2-1/4 hours, 26mpg. About 21.5 US mpg?

This isn't some sleek lil' roadster but a barn door attached to - well a one ton wooden barn. Fueled by a Tillitson carb that Briggs n' Stratton would deem too primitive! Quite frankly - I'm amazed... Just wondering how this compares across the planet?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  20. Well, I enjoyed the ride!!

21. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Off an English 1172cc sidevalve? Looks like it to me.

22. It's probably because I had a roof and it was raining! Gets kinda warm oil cosy in there on the comfy sofas after a few miles...

23. That sounds pretty darn good monkeybiker!
    Interesting though, the bangers love to shake everything loose!
    My carbs come loose from time to time as well

24. RussTee

RussTee

hey i use a nissan electronic disy on 12 volts a little fiddling with shaft size and vacume advance and they go real well use electronic taco

25. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Went to the Hotrod Hayride at the weekend and signed on to put the car on the dirt oval to whup some ass. Was a touch slippery out there in the mud and down on the far corner I ran a bit wide and smashed it down the barrier :D

Thought I'd put this bit here rather than derail the Hayride thread. Here's me on the dirt with not much opposite lock:

[​IMG]

And afterwards cleaning the mud off the windscreen so I could see out to drive home :D

[​IMG]

Anyway, back home I took some pics, nothing too serious. Bit of mud:

[​IMG]

Bit of a bent wing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's my GOOD wing damnit! But it should pull out no probs. Back wing got a bit smashed up but should glue back together since it's fibreglass, got a spare light somewhere I think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and two mashed hubcaps:

[​IMG]

I reckon that was the best &#163;5 I ever spent! There's mud everywhere, interior is caked, it's all up the headlining, all over the back window and it's packed solid underneath.

Most important was I won the race ;)

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vTK1G71Ow

You can tell when it happens because it's like rrrrrrrrrrrr... *short pause* thud... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

26. Any more details on this? Which Nissan dizzy? Are the electronics all contained? Slot driven?
    Hungry inquiring minds need to know (before I have to give the Mallory back...)!

27. Jonny 69, I sure enjoyed the video. Sorry to see the damage but you drove a good race. "GOOD SHOW"

28. Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  29. Dropthumbs

Dropthumbs

Bangers,
    FNG here. I have a rattle in my engine that I suspect is a loose rod. When I listen to the engine with my dowel rod, the noise seems to be coming from the crankcase in either the third or fourth cylinder. Some shims were replaced last year and I suspect that this is just a continuation of that problem. Can this be done without pulling the engine?
    Any tips on diagnosis or replacement.

Thanks,

Chuck Goings "The only speedster in Myrtle Beach"

30. Drain the oil and drop the pan!