Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey, Hey! 1st of the Month **AUGUST Banger Meet**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Aug 1, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Oh yes, I remember seeing that first pic before,...thats a nice column setup. now why did you "get nervous" about it? Buildup of fumes in the cowl? or another reason?

I'd sure like to run a pressurized tank, but i'm not sure how good it would be right there on the cowl with no vent and all??

yeah, so i thought that the in and out pump WAS indeed an oil pump, but obviously the smell i got was either old oil that has ome gas in it, or, for some odd reason someone, at so,etie did in fact use it as a fuel pump somehow??

2. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I think you need to either sell me the cast iron mallory or buy a handful of points to keep with you! ;)
    If they were good for Karl Orr, they're good enough for me!

screw the elctronic ignition! You'd be cooler going original,...;)

3. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, post some pics ya screwball! HA!;)

you guys always talk about all the cool projects,..but no eye candy to go with!! Geesh! he, he....

is the v8 at least a 21 stud??

4. easyrider47

easyrider47

CoalTownKid,

Well, here's the old Mallory. I tried to sell it a few times on here and had no takers. I'd love to get a Petronix in it. The weights are still in the bottom, but the springs are gone, and there is just a plate as in the pics. Easy.

Attached Files:

5. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Its a bit rough inside,...actually it looks very rough. I'm more than sure I could find springs from a fellow I've dealt with for electrical parts before, he sells a lot of NOS stuff. Are there any cracks in the top cap? I wish I had some extra parts for that one, I'd be happy to set you up. What's the model number on it? I'll see if anyone I know might have anything for it.

6. I recently purchased a Mallory rcurve kit from Summit or Jeg's that had several pair of springs for changing the advance curve. I used a pair in my "B" distributor. . Also, I believe that If Carl Orr were alive he would go electronic

7. easyrider47

easyrider47

It's a Model YA, Type 11A dual point body. The cap is good, I can't find any cracks. I'd luv to find an electronic conversion for it. I think I'm going to send it to GMC Bubba and let him see if he can do anything with it. Just been waiting until I was back on two feet, and so far I'm back up to 1 3/4 haha.

8. Nothin too new with me. I picked up a different carb for the A, runs a hellava lot better! Also finally yanked the B crank to get modified for the rear main seal...hope to have that done and installed in the car int he next month or two...right in time for snow:D

9. Most people use an early V8 tubular drive shaft for exhaust, lighter material due to thinner wall.

10. No one would know if you didn't tell them! I can tell that some people haven't had a condenser take a partial dump on them. When it happens you get 10 or 12 different diagnosis.
    Small block plugs used to last 7 to 10,000 miles and now with electronics they can last over 100,000 miles. The nostalgia thing only goes so far. Too many of the repop parts don't hold up. Occasionally there are threads on the Fordbarn model "A" forum about the problems with shoddy import ignition parts

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Wise words.

12. My garage is nasty... freaking filthy, you dont wanna see this...

Here is a little body I'm getting this weekend. Got it from Jetmek, but brother DirtyPetCock is bringing her up for me. I'm stripping the 29 roadster, flipping that body to a Nice little A chassis with 34 running gear, for me.
    So this old sedan will become a little old time Jalopy college sucks surf all day board holder. Just gonna build it quick and sell it. Oh, it will go on my nice stock A chassis that is awful fun. Had the roadster out all last weekend. Adjusting breaks on it tomorrow and I'll run around in that this weekend as well.

Oh, I may need an A or T pick up bed, I've got a nice boat wind screen for it too.

All my other stuff is top secret!

13. Pics...

Attached Files:

14. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Hey went to a swapmeet today got some good stuff I got this head do any of you guys know who what or where of its origin Tex Smith's book Hot Rod History (book two) shows it (from the WES COOPER COLLECTION) but not much is said except what I already know (nothing).Got a Prefect dizzy a hand pump that will work and a 10lb oil presure gauge and a few other bits great day at an ausie swapmeet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hey..can you sort out your photos?

16. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Sorry about the Photos haven't got a decent camera at the moment (using my phone).

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

No, but I can! :D

18. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

NOW FOR THE MOMENT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! .....(myself included!)

Just a little update on the engine,....

With the help of my trusty assistant/wife/garage buddy, Heather "Veda Orr wanna-be" Shiptoski (he, he), we fired up the engine today. After some playing with timing and the like, I dropped a mallory distributor in I had laying around from another engine and it fired up. Still have to square things away with it, and work out some minute bugs, in fact it might be a bit off on the advance/retard of the distributor as the 3rd and 4th tubes off the manifold are bluing already, they seem to be running hot? Otherwise it sounds great! Must have been something else to hear it on the dry lake bed of Muroc in 1940!

Big thank you's go out to many people, to many to name and with my memory for name what it is, I'm not even going to try!

What I will say is that without the building of it, by Bob Park of Red's Motor Machine in Delaware, the amazing help and inspiration from friend Steve Ryan, the parts help from Richard Utsch and Pete Trumbauer, the inspiration and friendship of fellow members Carl, Jimmy, and Zach, the help in research from Bruce, Don Montgomery, Zach Suhr Eric Lowe, Carl Cullen and Ron Stebles, and the wonderful photos given to me by Ron Stebles son of former Hot Irons member Jack Stebles, I'd never have both the fine engine I have today and the headers which I have taken the time to reproduce to the best of my abilities as a faithful re-creation of the headers that Mr. Carl Cullen ran on his 1929 Ford Roadster in 1940. I'd never have had the inspiration and reason to do this, and to continue it onward seeking its completion. Without God, my wife and my great parents,....nothing would be possible!

It is truely more than one hand that builds a hot rod!

I know many more souls that have aided and helped, (lots of HAMBers)....the list is way to long, but you are noted!

So, here's a quick movie clip of the engine on its firing up today.
    Soon, whe'll be on the road in the wind!

This attachment should work!?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i60.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid60.photobucket.com/albums/h29/coaltowncowboy/103_2770.flv">

20. Congrats Coaltown, That is a great milestone. Sounds awesome too!

21. wak53

wak53
    from aus

coaltown I think it is a ford prefect dizzy they seem common here.

22. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Thanks,..now its YOUR turn! he, he! Get that sucker done! That's one of my favorite builds on here! Sure wish ya lived here,...or i lived there!

23. Coaltown, the engine sounds good! How far off were those needle settings I sent you?. Nice maroon paint too!.
    Speaking of distributors I found a Delco from a Triumph with a Tach Drive. Maybe some one from across the pond could school me on it. I understand Pertronix makes a kit for it. Artiki, Enbloc, anyone?

24. Elrod

Elrod

Nice man! Way to go. I really like seeing your progress. This is a well thought out build and I like that your wife is helping also. I'm lucky enough to also have a lady in my life helping with my builds and I know how rewarding it is for both of us to drive the car we've been working on together. Can't wait to see your post when you both are out on the open road!!

Congrats.

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hey guys, thanks a million,...you're all swell cats here. Yeah we're bustin knuckles and palyin' with the tin as much as possible to get things done....soon, very soon!
    Gotta get it done soon, I'm runnng out of lettuce and the garden ain't puttin much back into the wallet these days either! Its all growin' wings!

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

You got a picture or a part number, Bill?
    I bought my Pertronix kit from Retro Rockets. They have a good website detailing the different applications that can take a kit....see here....
    http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/triumph.htm
    Delco at the bottom.
    Do you know which Triumph it came from?

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Delco dizzy with a tach drive? 4 Cyl comes from Triumph Spitfire

6 Cyl comes from GT6
    Guts swap directly twixt them

Lucas replacement for the GT6 is 41241 it will take the guts from 40819

I raced Spits a long time ago........

Bottom is a offset blade so you've got a little work to do.

By I'm glad I've written that down now I can forget it like so much other useless crap floating around in my old head!!! :)

28. Thanks, now my problem is that I want to stay with 6 volts and I did not see a 6 volt listing. Also, it is a Spitfire distributor.

29. Would you mind checking back into the useless crap once more and see if there was/is a 6 volt version. I don't like this modern 12 volt stuff, it is just like color TV, it won't last, just a fad.

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes Bill use a 6volt Blue Streak HD Chevy condenser

Points don't care

Or Call Rocky he owns Petronics and is not only smart but a nice guy too!

1-800-827-3758

The tech guys a really good.